main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Apropos of Nothing - ACKBAR IN CAPITALS - The Lit Forum Social Thread, v2.0.15

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    That's not how it went down in my head.

2. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I watched a handful of random USM episodes and I don't believe you. They managed to screw up Deadpool. With Joe Kelly involved. I mean, i might prefer Way, Simone & Nicieza, but still. I've read everything Deadpool has appeared in (outside of X-Force and X events./crossovers) over the past 10 years. Do you know how hard it is to screw up Deadpool?

3. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    I watched both seasons of USM on Netflix while I was hunting for treasure in Assassin's Creed 2. Most episodes are pretty bleh, there are a couple of wall-bangers in there, but the season two episodes that focus on the members of Spidey's team are all actually decent (Guardians of the Galaxy!), and the two-part finale from the first season is okay. But the best episode in the series by far is "Second Chance Hero", where Spidey has to team up with Norman Osborn, who's reformed and going by the Iron Patriot moniker. It has actual depth and character development and the writing isn't actually that bad.

I mean, the show's still pretty bad, especially after Spectacular Spiderman, and 90% of the characters are horribly written (the only ones that aren't are Captain America, Iron Man, Doctor Doom and occasionally Doctor Octopus). But it does have at least one episode that's worth watching.

4. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    CN was complete garbage until Space Ghost.

5. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    In the webcomic Mixed Myth the elfs have evolved from rabbits

6. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

Funny enough WOW elves are deformed Trolls.

MercenaryAce likes this.
  7. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Which also remind me of bunnies.

Bunnies with some sort of Jamaican thing going on riding raptors. TOR needed more of that jazz. No species is nearly so hyp.

Revanfan1, MercenaryAce and Gorefiend like this.
  8. Cynical_Ben

Aug 12, 2013
    So, for everyone who's been worried about the Orci/Kurtzman team responsible for the first two Star Trek films and Transformers putting their trademarked poor literacy into Star Wars, take a sigh of relief. The two are going their separate ways, and it sounds like Orci is gunning to take the directoral reigns of the third Star Trek film since Abrams is going to be busy elsewhere, and Kurtzman will be going to Universal to work on their united monster movie universe. The two will continue to work together on TV projects and the approaching Spiderman films (Sinister Six spinoff ahoy), but aside from that their filmwork duo is concluded.
    http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/04...t-star-trek-3?abthid=5356baf416be447a2f00002d

Revanfan1 and Gorefiend like this.
  9. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    It's puzzling, though - how can they make a new ST movie about bringing Spock back to life if he didn't die in the previous one?

And the "united monster movie universe"... oh boy. I guess Universal didn't learn from Van Helsing.

10. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Actually, one would hope they have learned their lesson from Van Helsing (and all but the second Mummy movie) and won't make a crappy version of the various monsters and Van Helsing this time around.

11. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
  12. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    I have nothing to contribute to this conversation, as usual, but that lizard chick in the Elder Scrolls video reminds me of when i played as a Mezoar (lizardman) Runecaster (mage) in Conclave.

Until it went freemium.

I'm STILL heavily debating buying the other missions as it offered everything i was looking for in an online RPG and I really enjoyed playing it!

13. Cynical_Ben

Aug 12, 2013
    For those, like me, who missed the blood moon eclipse, here it is in gif form.

[​IMG]

14. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    Man, Adventure Time... just wow.

15. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    I missed it on account of being a werewolf.

Revanfan1, Zeta1127 and TrakNar like this.
  16. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    Hircine has his moments.

17. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    I really, really need to catch up. I'm at least a couple of seasons behind.

18. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    Archer ended quite well. Glad they will be getting more seasons. Now NBC just needs to announce season 6 of community, and follow through on what they set up in the finale.
    Castle was a lot of fun as well.

19. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    I am so behind on Castle, by at least a season, that its ridiculous.

20. Cynical_Ben

Aug 12, 2013
    So I got a re-print of this poster in the mail today thanks to a charity fundraiser a little while back. It lacks the logo, but it otherwise identical, which is pretty cool.

[​IMG]

21. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Is Adventure Time the kind of thing I could just jump into, or would I need to watch from the beginning to get into it?

....asking for a friend, of course.

22. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Watch from the beginning. Continuity and character development, yo.

23. Ordo Skirata

Ordo Skirata Jedi Master star 2

Sep 3, 2012
    You should watch Regular Show first, if you haven't already. Its got Mark Hamill in it! (Plus it is incredibly awesome)

24. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Mostly for Jello, but for anyone else who's interested:

Three - Kieron Gillen, Ryan Kelly, Jordie Bellaire, Clayton Cowles

Everyone knows 300 right? Frank Miller's utterly nuts, over-the-top telling of the Battle of Thermopylae and the heroic resistance by the 300 Spartans. But were you aware those 300 Spartans had help? That they had slaves with them the whole time? No? This is what Gillen's tale focuses on. That there was a whole slew of stuff 300 didn't mention.

He does this by showing a Spartan coming-of-age ritual that sees young Spartans killing helots, to prevent them considering rebellion. He then introduces us to the 3 central helots, around who the story is built - Terpander, Damar, Kleros. The spark for the story involves a Spartan Ephor, a government authority figure turning up unannounced, forcing Terpander to become drunk and then uses a slip of his tongue as justification for the killing of everyone indoors! Some of the helots fight back and the Ephor is killed, but one of the Spartans slips away and flees. The 3 know they have to flee too, for they will not be permitted to live.

As good as Gillen's script is, it's Kelly's art that brings it to life, enhanced further by Bellaire's colouring and Clowes lettering. I'm not going to give away the resolution in case people are intrigued enough to read it, but it's both logical and plausible.

I don't think I've seen a book with such excellent extras in some time - in addition to a cover gallery, there are chapter notes from Gillen, with a one-liner I think Jello will love: "Research is amazing." Finally, there's an extensive conversation between Gillen and the series' historical consultant, Professor Stephen Hodkinson. It makes for a far stronger and more interesting package.

Definitely consider checking it out, it has an RRP of $14.99, but you can likely get it for under $10. It's very good value indeed. There's far worse things to spend your money on!

MercenaryAce likes this.
  25. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    That caught my eye when it first came out but I figured I'd trade-wait. Thanks for the alert.

ETA: speaking of comics, I just got home from my shop and realized that my pull list had no Marvel in it this week. Kinda proud of that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.