main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Apropos of Nothing - ACKBAR IN CAPITALS - The Lit Forum Social Thread, v2.0.15

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trip

Trip Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    jello another reason to play TSW is that being able to read latin and ancient greek will actually be a useful skill for once =D

2. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Huh. On the subject of Gotham, I'm suddenly interested now I've found out Sean Pertwee (Third Doctor Jr.) is playing Alfred.

3. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000

What.

Sent from a loaner phone with horrid autocorrect. Expect lots of errors.

Findswoman likes this.
  4. Trip

Trip Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    there are several missions where the clues are written in Greek or Latin and you basically have to be able to read it to figure it out because online translators aren't good enough (or at least they weren't for me; i wound up cheating)

5. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    @ GrandAdmiralJello : Understandable, but I am glad you liked what you saw.
    And I have neither the computer capacity nor the money to play a MMO, and once my doctorate program starts, I won't have the time either. I just watch trailers and read stuff.
    Sorry about editing that without a warning, I thought I did it quickly enough that you saw it before.

6. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

So why could we not just keep Almost Human instead?

Zeta1127 likes this.
  7. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    MercenaryAce yeah even if I had the time, I'm not convinced it'd be worth it. Even if it plays better than a WoW clone there's nothing intrinsic to the universe than attracts me to it like there is with TOR or ESO. I like the Cassians, they fill that role of the imperial culture than I so do enjoy but... that's it.

Shame it's not a web series or something. I'd totally watch the heck out of more videos like this.

Trip yeah can't really use an online translator for Greek and Latin. If you can google a direct translation of a phrase it's one thing, but translation tools aren't smart enough to handle these languages. Especially not anything composed with remotely an eye towards good taste and style.

The height of elegance in Latin was omitting the subject, main verb, or both. And in both Greek and Latin, there's a premium on being concise and letting the reader figure it out. If they can't, we'll, sucks to be them. Doesn't lend itself to machine translation since comprehension is not the goal.

But I have to admit you never mentioned this part of the game to me. All you showed me were hats. :p

8. Trip

Trip Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    GrandAdmiralJello hmm yeah I thought I mentioned that. but yeah that's one of the reasons i was recommending it to you, there's a heavy classics presence in the game; there are even Roman ruins in Egypt, London and Transylvania (which look pretty authentic to my untrained eye). heck even the Illuminati-related stuff in New England uses latin. and aside from that there's a bunch of other stuff that might be of interest to you, like there's even one or two missions where knowledge of art history (or the ability to use wikipedia in my case) is useful, this game is like right up your alley. plus you'll love the Templars, especially your handler, who communicates with you after every mission via smartphone and is quite personable and witty.

9. MercenaryAce

Aug 10, 2005
    They do have an impressive number of funny trailers:
    http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL4Yt7jkWoyvkoaU6imUUolBSP5ftqUA4E

I particularly recommend:

and

Heck, even the Devspeak videos, where they explain gameplay, have good laughs as well.

10. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    I'm curious about the battle system.

11. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    See, I prefer the Illuminati - the more modern conspiracy (for us conspiracy buffs - I guess add 'history of conspiracies' to the useless body of historical knowledge I know), and the handler is all corporate and snarky.

12. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    I got ninety-nine problems but the collapse of the Roman Empire ain't one.

[​IMG]

AU 1.1.1066. (Having started as Basíleios hō Makedṓn in 867)

I'm quite sure I would have reclaimed all Iberia by now, too, had it not been for the fact I got stuck with two successive child Empress regencies (worst kind of regencies!) in the early 1000s that forced me to focus on homeland security instead of my aggressive foreign policy.

Neither actually made it to adulthood, as it happened. The first was murdered by her regent at the age of thirteen (on his third attempt) and the second caught the flu and died at fourteen.

Gorefiend and Point Given like this.
  13. Trip

Trip Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    yeah but tell me the Templars aren't basically tailor made for Jello.

14. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    No, I can't disagree with you on that one.

15. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    What do the Templars do?

16. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    Well, here's their defining quote:

“There is no purpose greater than ours. The world will flounder without structure and discipline.”

17. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    So, they're the Templars from Assassin's Creed, just toned down to make them less mustache-twirling villains?

18. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    Since we're discussing gaming, I finally caught a Shuckle.

My Hypno, who I was leveling, is now insane from dealing with Gravelers. I fed my Mewtwo a bushel of Leppa Berries to replenish his Earthquake so he could deal with the Gravelers. I don't know how many damn rocks my Lucario smashed, but the mission was finally a success. After almost three days of hunting and Rock Smashing in Terminus Cave, I finally caught a Shuckle.

Now to work on getting the other hard-to-find Pokemon...

Todd the Jedi likes this.
  19. MercenaryAce

Aug 10, 2005
    No, they are still mustache twirling villains, you just play as them, and the other sides are just as bad.

20. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
  21. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    Wow, everyone wants in on the superhero market share, don't they? There hasn't been a theatrical PR movie since, what, Turbo? And a reboot of MMPR so they can bank on nostalgia to put adults in seats... I'm not sure if that's stupid or diabolical.

EDIT: they pair with Lionsgate and cite its similarity to other teen-focused projects like Hunger Games, Divergent and Twilight. I don't think many teens actually watch Power Rangers anymore, guys.

22. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Let's go with stupid.

It's just not the same without the classic actors and the hokey Japanese action sequences.

Zeta1127 likes this.
  23. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    Be cynical if you want. Currently I'm envisioning this:

[​IMG]

And it's awesome.

The2ndQuest likes this.
  24. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    That's Green

Here is Pink
    [​IMG]
    Red
    [​IMG]
    and the crossover that should be
    [​IMG]

25. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Ok, that's pretty cool.

I was sad when they turned him into the white ranger. He wasn't problematic on its own, but green was just much cooler.

Ulicus and CooperTFN like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.