main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Apropos of Nothing - ACKBAR IN CAPITALS - The Lit Forum Social Thread, v2.0.15

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    NPR is talking about the Ubi thing right now. Very weird.

2. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    MY EYES HAVE BEEN OPENED!

3. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    LOL.

Gaston just wanted someone to cook all those animals he shot and massage his feet.

And probably spend her mornings reaching under chickens' butts for all those eggs he ate every day.

That said, I did enjoy reading that.

4. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Pfft. Impressive propaganda, but Gaston is the literal worst. I prefer my version.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

Gorefiend, Revanfan1, Gamiel and 2 others like this.
  5. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    I love you people.

Cynical_Ben likes this.
  6. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I'm a little bit disappointed that I didn't take the opportunity to put in a little dig against the French Revolution, too.

Disney films are so wonderfully royalist.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

darthscott3457 and Gamiel like this.
  7. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Very wary about a Sandman film - the series is brilliant, but it's subtle - everything a Hollywood superhero movie is not and it certainly isn't a superhero tale either!

Barriss_Coffee and CooperTFN like this.
  8. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    In case anyone is following the Slenderman stabbing, one of the girls is to undergo a competency hearing.

It's a step in the right direction, but I think she needs a comprehensive psych eval even more. Just because one is deemed competent to stand trial doesn't mean that there's not something going on in their head.

9. Praenomen Cognomen

Praenomen Cognomen Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2013

I don't think Broseph Gordon Levitt will go over the top with it. I don't know if I trust him with true subtlety, per se, but only because the dialogue might be overstated and hamfisted; hopefully Gaiman will do enough hands-on stuff with the script and David S. Goyer will keep his mitts off it. But overall, Levitt's sensibility seems to be on the stylistic side, so at the very least I trust that it won't be a big Hollywood blowout.

10. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    Oh Lord, if Goyer gets into the Sandman script.... that's nightmare level stuff. It'd be if they gave Kurtzman and Orci scripting duties on one of the Star Wars movies.

Ulicus likes this.
  11. patchworkz7

patchworkz7 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 26, 2004

I was interested in what Aisha Tyler had to say about it:

Rogue Five, Yoda_S and CooperTFN like this.
  12. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Oh, I'd agree the casting's good PC, as you say the script is critical.

13. themetresgained

themetresgained Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2013
    I got here thanks to Coop's Twitter account and now I know what I've been missing all my life.

14. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Finally emerging from the week long of viewing of E3 streams (and yet there still seems to be trailers I haven't watched yet!), between the conferences, website commentary, Digital Event 9the Reggie/Iwata fight will provide many gif meme fun for years to come and the Robot Chicken segments were great too), Treehouse feed (the extended demos definitely sold me on some games I was on the fence about), Smash tournament (though it ruined my attempts to avoid Geoff Keighley), etc... a lot to take in (as an aside, have mercy Nintendo- a gamer can only afford to buy so many games within a given year!).

Splatoon was by far the biggest surprise of E3 and arguable the game of the show for me- such an original idea that looks unbelievably fun. The Zelda reveal was also big for me, obviously.

Project STEAM was also a welcome surprise, as well as the art styles for Cup Head, Inside and Ori. The trailer for Dead Island 2 was also rather hilarious (I have no interest in the game, but that doofy bobbing jog killed me). Sunset Overdrive was also different looking. Evolve looks cool too, as does Alien Isolation. No Man's Sky looks pretty cool (it's the closest to flying a Z-95 Headhunter that we're going to get for quite awhile I'm assuming as well ;)).

Xenoblade looks fantastic. Project Guard seems very cool. Yoshi's Wooly World and Captain Toad look great. Adding in an agro-Bowser controlled by a player refines Mario Party to it's purest form- friendships will end and classes will be failed once again because of that game.

I really do think I'll have to check out Far Cry 4 as well.

Anyways, to cap off the week on an unrelated note, I was at work tonight only to look up from my framing counter at the poster station across from me to see a full sized poster of my previous Deadpool avatar. So random and yet, I have to take it as a sign that I should probably switch back to it...

City pulled me through due to the storyline being like a darker, slightly alternate universe finale to Batman TAS, though I haven't had a chance to go through the extra content like Slade, Harley or the Riddler. I was tempted to go back to play Asylum eventually for the story, but Origins didn't really hold any appeal in that regard.

However, despite my reluctance in wanting to jump back into another Arkham game, I must admit, Knight looks very sweet- I love the Burton/Nolan hybrid Batmobile design.

15. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    Speaking of the villain's point of view in Disney stories, Twisted: The Untold Story of A Royal Vizier did extremely well. The idea was that this magic kingdom is full of poor and starving people, the princess keeps disrupting the neighbor princes by siccing tigers on them (how can she get away with that?) and we are supposed to cheer for the sultan? Who keeps playing with animal toys instead of working? And we are supposed to hate the guy who wants to change things?

16. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Brilliant performance!

17. Praenomen Cognomen

Praenomen Cognomen Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2013

This is great. In pointing out that things are changing, there's a very good underlying point to be found here: To handle social issues like this responsibly, people have to stop approaching the second or third phase of the diversification process as if it's still the first. When lots of people are talking about this issue and are on the right side of it, it's time to stop acting as if the entire world is against it and using that to justify having a loudmouthed entitlement complex or continually moving the goalposts. That's not to say it becomes less important or that moving forward will somehow be automatic now---it won't---but simply that a clear perspective of the situation at hand is necessary for keeping things on track. Roughly, phase one is about making people aware, and phase two is about leveraging that awareness to make very simple, practical changes. Once you're into phase two, you're actually doing a disservice to the cause by continuing to indulge the oversensational alarmism of phase one; demanding all these changes RIGHT NOW AND IN EVERY GAME! was never an honest expectation, but simply an overcompensatory rallying cry which projects urgency in the beginning, but becomes friggin' annoying as hell after a few years and starts driving more people away than it rallies. In terms of mass psychology, that humorless loudmouthed refrain is essentially an expression of "All your activism are belong to us!" and a competition to see who can care the most. I mean, it's like how Family Guy is actually funny, but ruined by some of its dumb fans.

That's half the problem with Anita Sarkeesian; she writes in a way that discredits the entire culture, like a sensationalized exposé of some long-dormant issue which she was the first person to ever discover. When part of your platform is that gamer culture is insensitive, it's just downright stupid to come at the issue as an outsider and still expect those insensitive people to care more about your feelz than about the fact that you're an outsider trying to expose their culture; right or wrong, you knew they were insensitive, so what did you expect? Frog, meet scorpion.

Social evangelists could learn a thing or two from religious evangelists: To the gamers, you must become as a gamer. Now the activism has to come from a place of love, and Aisha Tyler has perfectly captured that.

Valin__Kenobi likes this.
  18. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    I saw this today and felt the need to share it:

Valin__Kenobi likes this.
  19. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Do not speak of such things.

20. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Progress is being made in the diversity in gaming department- just not in the annualized titles like COD, AC, etc.

Although, as I've commented elsewhere, it was surprising that Nintendo had anywhere from 2-4x as many playable female characters in their E3 games than MS, Sony, Ubi & EA combined, which tends to make such discrepancies more blatant.

21. Kylun

Kylun Jedi Master star 2

Sep 26, 2008
    While the new Battlefield: Hardline game isn't technically the next main Battlefield game (as in BF5), I did notice the campaign story follows a Miami cop named Nick Mendoza. Thought that was kinda cool.

Also, it's a cops and robbers game. Do want. =P~

22. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Happy Father's Day, peeps. If you're a father or are still living with your father (haha you loser geek), you should read this book today.

[​IMG]

23. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Aw no.....

[​IMG]

24. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    From the Star Wars Facebook page:

"Happy Father's Day! This year, thank your Dad for never becoming a key player in an evil conspiracy to conquer the galaxy that ultimately resulted in a political coup, interplanetary war, your own dismemberment, the destruction of entire worlds and the loss of countless lives (including his own)...but good luck trying to fit that on a card."

25. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.