main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Apropos of Nothing - ACKBAR IN CAPITALS - The Lit Forum Social Thread, v2.0.15

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    It's SO MUCH BETTER NOW.

2. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    So -- here I was, minding my own business, just chilling at the White House and I randomly run into the Secretary of Homeland Security. He's dressed all casual like, so there's no reason to assume he's anything but a tourist -- but I recognized him, so I go up to him and had a nice little chat. It was pretty cool.

Sadly I didn't think to get a picture. Oops.

3. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    I saw him on Rachel Maddow a few days ago, so I know basically how you feel.

4. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Yeah, well... I MET A PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES. AND HE SHOOK MY HAND FOR A JOB WELL DONE. AND I DIDN'T ACTUALLY DO ANYTHING TO DESERVE IT.

Also, my SO met the Queen of England.

Edit: Also, Sen. Ted Kennedy rudely shoved his way past me once. That's all I got.

MercenaryAce likes this.
  5. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    He asked me my name, which was pretty cool. Not sure if he'll remember it, but if he does that'd be helpful.

Well, when it comes to unmerited awards, I got a challenge coin from the Secretary of Defense -- and you usually have to be a war hero or a wounded soldier to get one -- so there's that, even if he's no President.

However, your SO may win, at least in my estimation. :p

6. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    I've been within five metres of Her Majesty and Duke and Duchess of Cambridge.

That counts.

7. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Yeah well damn you, show off :p

Actually, wait. I've had someone who's been within 5 meters of Her Majesty and Their Royal Highnesses carry my bags, so that actually works to my favor.

Ulicus likes this.
  8. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    I guess it's being a science nerd, but I was probably most excited that one of my professors in college was the son of the creator of the Russian H-bomb.

Also, I met Gary Gygax and he commented on my Cthulhu shirt. That was cool.

Barriss_Coffee and MercenaryAce like this.
  9. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    I'll never live that down.

10. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Speaking of Ted Kennedy, I sat two rows behind him at the movies once. I also saw Gov. Patrick at a minor political event.

Don't believe I've seen any Dukes or Duchesses, though.

11. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I threw a tantrum in the White House and got my parents kicked out by Secret Service.

True story.

Nixon was President at the time; ever since then my Dad has joked that I got kicked out the front door and Nixon got kicked out the back door.

(My poor father, he was a Coast Guard officer stationed at headquarters and it had to be embarrassing as hell.)

That's the best one I've got I suppose. I also met Al Gore when he was running for President in 1987. He had not invented the Internet yet so no pictures. And I was 15 with sprayed-teased hair, a blouse the size of a circus tent and a prairie skirt so I wouldn't show you anyway.

12. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    My father graduated from a podunk little tech university in the middle of nowhere - Florida Technological University (now UCF, the university with the second largest student enrollment in the US, last I checked) when I was a baby. Each year they'd send an invite to speak at graduation to the President, and to the person who was actually going to speak. Turns out that year Nixon was looking for a place that would have absolutely no protestors in the wake of the ongoing Watergate scandal, and I guess FTU qualified. Not sure if I was present at the ceremony, though.

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  13. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    I have been less than a meter from our president-at-the-time. She had four bodyguards but they weren't really trying to be threathening - she had about the same reputation as the mother of the land as Elizabeth.

Ten years ago there was an extremely popular and funny satire show where animated politicians had political adventures. Kids asked signatures from politicians in the show and having an animated you was thought as a great honor. Shame it turned unfunny at some point and was cancelled, my knowledge of politics dropped sharply at that point.

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  14. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    I don't know how I'd feel about a show about animated politicians having political adventures. Unless it was all about their scandals or something.

15. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    There was one episode where they planewrecked on an island and re-enacted Lord of the Flies, one where Finland got hold of a nuclear bomb (hijinks ensued), one where one politician demanded deep political discussion instead of populism (hijinks ensued) and so on. There were also parodies of The Shining and The Night of the Living Dead (scary stuff for kids). Great stuff.

16. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Meanwhile, in the US...

(Warning: Reagan segment might be NSFW)

GrandAdmiralJello likes this.
  17. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    I remember that! It's pretty great.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  18. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    I met Al Gore in '92 when on the campaign trail and shook his and Florida governor Lawton Chiles's hands.

My father had a minor run-in with Jeb Bush in the early '90s when he worked at the Legislative Library at the Florida state capital building. He was on his way out to leave for the day and just happened to be walking a few meters behind the smarter Bush brother and an aide, when the two stopped at the hatch of his car upon which was a bumper sticker that said "Bush is a Tush." Jeb asked his aide if there was some way to get it removed, whereupon my father gave him a sly look and said "Gee, I hope not" as he got in his car.

19. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    I shook Rick Santorum's hand when he came to Gettysburg for a political rally. I never intended to vote for him, but I attended out of boredom and stood directly behind a Fox News cameraman as Santorum gave an extra speech out in the mezzanine of the Gettysburg Hotel. The rally was so big that we didn't make it for the initial rally, but were first in line for the extra one.

Mostly, I talked to the cameraman about camera quality and videography. And Santorum had a good, firm handshake.

20. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    Eurgh. I think my hand would melt.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  21. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    Well the only really famous or lets better say infamous politician I ever got to meet was Nick Griffin and I took the opportunity to call him one of the worst people ever or something in the direction. [face_bleh]

Though guess Arnold Schwarzenegger counts as well, he was nice enough to nearly crush my hand whilst I told him that Terminator 2 was like the best movie ever and properly drooled on the carpet like the biggest fan boy ever. [face_worried]

Gamiel likes this.
  22. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    ^ Still more than me.

I don't think I have ever seen any politician in person, not even the local mayor or anything.

Or any celebrities for that matter. Well, I may have walked by Snoop Dog once, but that's it.

23. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Oh, also a select handful of folks here have met me. That's basically the biggest celebrity sighting that exists.

24. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    I finally got to see Gravity today, definitely an excellent movie.

Barriss_Coffee and MercenaryAce like this.
  25. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    When Gettysburg was being filmed in, well, Gettysburg, I met a bunch of the actors.

Darth_Garak and MercenaryAce like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.