main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Apropos of Nothing - ACKBAR IN CAPITALS - The Lit Forum Social Thread, v2.0.15

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Does Lit have anyone there? It seems like there's always one.

2. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    That's a good question. I was thinking of putting up an SDCC thread but it's usually Litizens in question who put up those threads and then report their findings in a breathless fashion.

But if not, I imagine we will at least get something from somebody on the internets. You twitterati may have to then report back to us here, for those of us who can't abide by such shenanigans.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

3. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    I was gonna get me a roving reporter. :(

4. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    As an addendum to this post, Marvel's twitter just announced another date for another movie: May 4th, 2018. Meaning that, in all likelihood, we'll be seeing three Marvel movies a year starting 2017 and every year hence. An ambitious schedule, if nothing else, along the lines of the rumored Warner/DC schedule. Makes the Star Wars-movie-a-year schedule look kinda tame by comparison.

darthscott3457 likes this.
  5. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    sigh.

and all of these utterly mediocre, middle of the road films will probably get a billion dollars just because. blagh.

I liked Thor 1, IM1, and Avengers 1. But it's getting absurd.

6. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    [​IMG]

WE HAVE HEADBAND I REPEAT WE HAVE HEADBAND THIS IS NOT A DRILL

One down, 9,999 to go.

7. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    But... I don't have enough hair for a headband... :c

8. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    I'll wear an extra one for you. ;)

TrakNar likes this.
  9. King of Alsakan

King of Alsakan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 25, 2007
    A nice start to comic-con so far with all of pictures released today. I really liked Arsenal costume from Arrow, and then Marvel stuff looks great too with the two Ultron posters and of course Ant-Man:
    [​IMG]

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  10. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    GrandAdmiralJello:

So, I just read a story about someone making the argument that
    and I just had to hear your opinion on the legitimacy of the House of Windsor.

11. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    I told you about her headband like last week :p

12. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    It has begun.

13. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    I asked how the reactions have been, and she told me that the Del Rey people loved it. So there's a good sign. :p

But I always thought that they had just as much at stake as we did. The people who write stuff don't want their stuff erased either.

MercenaryAce It's a stupid argument. The Jacobite movement is dead, and even if it weren't, the government that followed the Glorious Revolution is the government that Cook sailed for and the government that sailed into Botany Bay to establish the prison colony. So the Australian government was never tied to the Jacobite succession at all, but the succession as established by parliament.

I don't have much patience for divine right royalists anyway -- whether Jacobites in England or Legitimists in France, both of whom reject the course of history. The monarchy is a creature of law, like any other government, and it is subject to it. Parliament proved that it could create a new king, and the Bourbons of Spain gave up their claim to France in a legal act. It may not comport with divine right feudalism, but nobody cares.

MercenaryAce likes this.
  14. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    It's actual evidence, is what I'm saying--not just the ravings of a madman. :p

Though part of me was hoping this was someone else who had the same idea.

15. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    All right, Jello - what are your thoughts of the early American government weighing their options about putting a Stuart on the throne of America? Would a constitutional monarchy have been radically different for the US?

16. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    What, you didn't believe me? I could've posted the picture of the finished thing, too. :p

I came up with the idea indirectly, when I asked for a Legacy sash (like a knighthood sash; seemed appropriate) for the grand admiral outfit she's going to make me. Then she decided to do a headband for herself (which she will wear with actual EU characters, specifically Nomi Sunrider and a Twi'lek pilot in a Hawaiian shirt).

But yes, that's the finished product that will be available for purchase sometime in the future.

blackmyron it may have been, if just that we'd basically keep Washington/Adams era political culture instead of Jeffersonian/Jacksonian democracy. It would've dramatically changed the nature of the country, probably made us less willing to expand westward etc. (I'm assuming that the establishment of a monarchy would be a very strong prop for the Federalist cause, which was only defeated because Jefferson basically banned them from public office when he was President).

darthscott3457 and blackmyron like this.
  17. King of Alsakan

King of Alsakan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 25, 2007

On that topic, in case either of you are interested I read this a while back, Monarchism in America. I think it was pretty decent from what I remember, but again it was a while ago.

blackmyron likes this.
  18. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Hmm... I find the claim that Adams, Hamilton, and Washington were closet monarchists to be highly dubious. All three insisted on proper dignity and decorum for the chief executive (listed in descending order), but there's no way that the man who insisted on being called "Mr. President" was a monarchist. Washington might have been persuaded to take the throne if that's what it took to save the country from anarchy (just as he was persuaded to take the presidency), but that's as far as it would go.

The Federalists were gentlemen of the old school, and wanted a deferential society... but they were all Enlightenment types, and were all relatively new men. The Jeffersonian planter aristocracy was better born than they, and even more committedly anti-monarchist.

The American "aristocracy" (such that it was) was largely Loyalist and fled after the Revolution. The only bonafide aristocrat -- indeed, the only peer living in the colonies period -- was Lord Fairfax, and his land was seized during the Revolution. Though he was a Loyalist, he still has a county named after him in Virginia (mostly because Virginia is unwilling to change anything, so colonial-era county names have stuck). :p

19. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    It should come as no surprise that there are a few people that claim to be the rightful heir to the throne of America.

But there really are only two people that qualify - this guy and this friendly fellow.

MercenaryAce likes this.
  20. MercenaryAce

Aug 10, 2005
    GrandAdmiralJello : Oh, I knew that the argument was insane. I heard about it in a thread about "favorite crackpottery" on another site, and was just one of many, many absurd arguments about English, Australian and international law.

It just occurred to me that I didn't really know much about how dynasties rose and fell, and it occurred to me that it might be fun to ask you opinion about it, because you know more about such things than anyone I know.

blackmyron : Considering that early American politicians referred to each as "monarchists" the same way people call each other "fascists", I really can't see monarchy flying in any version of the US that we could recognize as such.

Edit: Speaking of Jacobites:

I could never make out enough of the lyrics of this song to tell if it is pro or anti Jacobite.
    Love the tune though.

21. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    Another night, another reporting of bots.

22. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    Looking around, it looks like there was a possible attempt at the outbreak of the Revolutionary War to recruit Charles III, although the documentation is lacking.

But an interesting point - apparently when approached by a small delegation post-war (which as far as I can tell was purely an independent effort, not something initiated by Congress or the Founding Fathers), his reason for not pursuing it was that if he died without an heir, the US would revert back to British control all legal-like because the House of Hanover was the next-of-kin.

Monarchies. [face_laugh]

MercenaryAce likes this.
  23. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Monarchies are awesome.

If the NEU gets rid of all the post-Endor nonsense and makes Palpatine's dynasty a straight up hereditary thing, I will be so pleased. Ederlathh will rule the Empire! :p

Actually, another similar funny monarchical thingie: when Napoleon married Marie Louise, he became the nephew in law of King Louis XVI!

darthscott3457 likes this.
  24. MercenaryAce

Aug 10, 2005
    On the topic of monarchies: one of my ancestors was given a land grant in the Americas by the King of England himself.

Beat that, Jello.

25. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    All of my ancestors eventually had their bloodlines lead to me.

I win.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.