main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Apropos of Nothing - ACKBAR IN CAPITALS - The Lit Forum Social Thread, v2.0.15

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Reading Chew? Good.

Not reading Chew? Start or you get the bird set on you!

This bird.....

[​IMG]

(Chew #45 cover aka Poyo versus Everything!)

2. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Deadpool cosplayers are the best.

[​IMG]

3. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Fandom sometimes gets a bad reputation, death threats sent to a writer whose offence was killing off a character or treating others badly simply because they're not deemed part of the 'in crowd'.

And then fandom does things like putting the word out that John Ostrander needs help to pay for an eye operation and suddenly there's a swath of small Paypal donations that accrue significantly.

And then there's stuff like the response of a load of comic artists to the difficulties Stan Sakai has had in caring for his wife Sharon. First an art auction was done, that helped. But the quality of the pieces produced really stood out, what if something else could be done? A book perhaps?

The artists had a word with Mike Richardson, who said Dark Horse would foot the bill for publishing it and all the proceeds go to the Sakais. The book is The Sakai Project:

http://www.darkhorse.com/Books/26-3...ts-Celebrate-Thirty-Years-of-Usagi-Yojimbo-HC

I got my copy today. It looks to be one of the Direct Market only items, I bagged my copy from FP for £16.53 and it is a truly beautiful book. At 9" x 12" it is a +OHC and -Absolute size hardback that has been put together with Dark Horse's customary top-notch production values. At the same time it is one hell of an art collection! I've only flipped through a handful of pages so far but every page is stunning, a swath of styles and skills, each distinct but all brilliant. If you claim to like comic art, you need to get this.

Yet, great as all that is, it was the intro and foreword that hit me the hardest as they lay both a heart-breaking picture of a couple having to deal with an astonishingly crappy hand and a truly earnest desire by many to help them in some way.

So, how about we put the word out and send the sales soaring on this?

4. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    If it were me, he'd be wearing an inconspicuous hat as well.

It does, however, have all of my love.

Barriss_Coffee and Zeta1127 like this.
  5. King of Alsakan

King of Alsakan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 25, 2007
    Here they are:
    http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=121097

6. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
  7. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Xena, Warrior Princess: The Movie?

8. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    And here... we... go. Spoiler tagged for high-rez, it makes pretty decent background I must say.

[​IMG]

Edit: Re: Wonder Woman pic. Not bad. Subtle and realistic but still true to her classic look. It does look Xena-y, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

9. Praenomen Cognomen

Praenomen Cognomen Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2013
    Gal Gadot is a badass, and since the movie will most likely suck on all levels beyond the most basic, I'm just trying to appreciate as much of the potential action spectacle of that movie as possible.

CooperTFN likes this.
  10. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    You'd think I'd know something about WW due to the Greek mythology connection, but nope. Tend to stay away from comic characters in general.

Although speaking of all the stuff that's coming out, I had a conversation with a colleague at the office yesterday about weekend plans and how I wish I was at comic con and she was like "...where?"

It's rare that I'm genuinely surprised, but that did it. I guess I forget what a different world it is when you're not plugged into the internet.

11. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    OMGOMGOMGOMGOMGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGYESSSS!!! FINALLY!!!!:cool:

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  12. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I had Wonder Woman clothes when I was 8.

Only took you 35 years, DC Comics. I've been waiting for this.

Now Marvel needs to put out that Black Widow movie.

Gorefiend and Barriss_Coffee like this.
  13. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Knowing Marvel they'll announce it tonight just to steal DC's thunder.

14. King of Alsakan

Nov 25, 2007
  15. patchworkz7

patchworkz7 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 26, 2004

Kevin Feirge has long said he wants to do one as soon as they can get ScarJo's schedule clear and nail down a script. Marvel is in the position of having to wait for an actor to be ready and willing to do the role...I haven't seen anything to suggest they don't want to do it, and I have a feeling that we'll see an announcement soon.

Also, it's a little early to celebrate as it feels like WW is just another character in a laundry list of them who is getting shoved into SvB in order to set up a Justice League movie. It honestly doesn't feel like a natural growth the way Marvel's movies did, and I'm worried in the rush to just ape Marvel they'll put out an inferior product.

AdmiralWesJanson likes this.
  16. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    And it will also be released on the same day as Batman v Superman.

17. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    My biggest issue with the costume is it's too brown. Needs more star-spangled skorts.

Barriss_Coffee and Gamiel like this.
  18. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    No way. That's the main reason I never looked into the character. The antiquity inspired look is better. :p

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

Kylun likes this.
  19. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    SDCC: Marvel Launches "Star Wars" Comics With Aaron, Cassaday, Waid and More
    http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=54386
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Or at least some primary colours

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  20. King of Alsakan

Nov 25, 2007
    Not too much out of the Marvel panel. They showed Avengers 2 footage and announced GotG 2 for July 28th, 2017. Surprised between Marvel and DC we only got one new movie announcement.

Edit: While its still up Batman v Superman footage from today:

21. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    AAAAHHHHHHHHHHH

https://www.yahoo.com/movies/godzilla-to-fight-old-foes-in-new-sequel-92949842987.html

GODZILLA RODAN MOTHRA KING GIDORAH ALL OUT MELEE

:D :D :D I am one happy kaiju groupie right now. For the uninformed, Rodan, Mothra and King Gidorah are Godzilla's three most popular foes, all of whom have been in films since the sixties, and whose presence basically guarantees a greater monster battle quota than the first film. The tagline for the footage they showed is even "Let Them Fight." :cool:

Between this, a new King Kong film called "Skull Island" being announced and Pacific Rim 2, it's a good time to be a giant monster fan.

22. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    And Universal Studios building a "Skull Island" at Jurassic Park... ;)

AdmiralWesJanson likes this.
  23. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Neat!

I wonder if Rodan, Mothra, and Godzilla are going to team up against Gidorah like in the old movies.

Also, if they are going to keep the supernatural origins of Mothra and Gidorah or try to make them pseudo-scientific.

darthscott3457 likes this.
  24. Trisdin Gheer

Trisdin Gheer Jedi Master star 2

Jun 18, 2013
    For being the Avatar, Korra sure gets captured/beaten up a lot.

25. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

Also happend to Aang a lot. ;)

MercenaryAce likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.