main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Apropos of Nothing - ACKBAR IN CAPITALS - The Lit Forum Social Thread, v2.0.15

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    I'm only just now getting used to Tumblr. :/

2. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
  3. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
  4. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Ah, now that's what we're talking about. The game has gotten a little more interesting now that there's a worthy faction to play, though I'm still hesitant after the huge disappointment of Civ 5.

Do we know the other factions aside from the two linked here?

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

5. King of Alsakan

King of Alsakan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 25, 2007
  6. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    ROMNEY WOULD HAVE SAVED THE EU

7. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004

There might still be a rump EU faction actually, as the central and north European countries (including the UK) are missing, so would make a likely candidate for a DLC faction. The Arabian countries also seem to be missing, as well as Turkey, Greece and the Balkans (though the later might be thrown in with the Slavic Federation).

Yeah CIV 5 in the base version was not that great, though with the Expansions it is really fun to play, so I am also contemplating waiting on the final version.

8. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006

Get the expansions yo.

9. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Everybody says that the expansions make it much better, but I'm just worried about throwing more money at it. Maybe I'll see when there's a sale.

I just wish diplomacy had more stuff. They made these amazing, wonderful leader scenes but you're barely in then to make them worthwhile. My other favorite thing in Civ is building wonders, but they got rid of the awesome videos and re-use models. Bah -- bah I say!

Beyond Earth might be good just for the different focus and the fact that it's not doing the same thing as all the other civ games. But I'd probably still want to see the demo first.

Edit: plus I never lied the superficial, all human history approach. My favorite Civ was Civ 3 conquests, with it's tight historically based settings. The TW games and CK2 do it much better though.

I miss Civ 4's Rhyse and Fall scenario though. That combined a real world map with civ gameplay, and had cool stability mechanics. That made Civ 4 worth it by itself. I also miss Civ3's city view and Palace modes...

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

10. King of Alsakan

Nov 25, 2007

As an addendum here are words from each of the faction leaders, a little Star Trek easter egg in the ARC one:

American Reclamation Corporation
    Brazilia
    Franco-Iberia
    Kavithan Protectorate
    Pan-Asian Cooperative
    People's African Union
    Polystralia
    Slavic Federation (Nothing yet)

Looks to be plenty of room for expansion civilizations, unless some of the countries I am thinking of are already part of the above factions. I would be leaning Franco-Iberia, and would maybe consider ARC.

Gorefiend likes this.
  11. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    You just reminded me of when he came over here and referred to Ed Miliband as "Mr. Leader".

[face_laugh]

*wipes away tear*

I mean, to be fair, it was a perfectly understandable mistake. I guess. Still. [face_laugh]

Funny.

12. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Hmmm. I like all the world-building but I'm a little concerned. Civ 5 had a lot of atmosphere behind the factions -- human history -- and yet they played functionally pretty identically. I want to know how these distinct differences between factions actually plays out.

And after reading that, I'm basically Franco-Iberia 100%. It pretty much was made for me, as Gorefiend indicated. Nothing else even comes close to interesting me.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

Gorefiend and darthscott3457 like this.
  13. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    Crusader Kings II. Again. Start new game as Eudes Capet in 867. 15 years old. Vassal to Welf duke of Anjou. Also my uncle. Can decide what education I get. Sweetness. Arrange betrothal with youngest daughter of Charles the Bald. Sweetness. Strong claim on Anjou. Sweetness. Stupid weak faction within Anjou presses my claim before I come of age. Stupidity. Gets demolished. Stupidity. Innocent Eudes imprisoned. Languishes. Raise ransom money. Uncle refuses. "Claims on my titles". Bummer. Languishes. Uncle Welf rebels against rightful king. Imprisoned. Languishes. Still refuses to releases me. Languishes. Uncle Welf dies. Heir refuses to ransom me. "Claims on my titles". Bummer. Languishes. Thirty years go by. Languishes. Die. Patiencequit.

14. King of Alsakan

Nov 25, 2007
  15. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    The2ndQuest have you seen this? Apparently, it's test footage for Fox's Deadpool movie from around 2011, done in all CGI with Ryan Reynolds doing Wade's voice. I honestly don't know if I'm okay with it or not.

darthscott3457 likes this.
  16. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    Easly possible that some countries could host more then one faction. The US for example is hinted at haveing at least some kind of goverment "Seeding" project as well, whilst the ARC is just a private venture with goverment permission.

But yep there are still plenty of countries missing and I am pretty sure there will also be some kind of „imperialist“ movment down the line, unless the Slavic Union turn out to be that, since they have been hinted at being a heavly militaristic faction.

African Union and Polystralia are my favs so far.

darthscott3457 likes this.
  17. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Yep, I've been dancing for days in threads like this:

[​IMG]

18. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    "There are 47 percent of the fans who are going to like The Clone Wars no matter what."

19. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Oh man. That sucks, Uli. That's basically like the Karlings in 1066 but worse because you start as a kid. Blargh.

Speaking of education though, is there a way to see what the optimal AI-chosen tutor is teaching you? Or better yet, to influence it? I know I can manually select based on stats but that's too much work, so I usually just educate my own kids.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

20. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    What do you mean, exactly? The only thing you can influence as a kid is whether or not you adopt your guardian's culture, or become friends/rivals with someone. Otherwise it's just like, "I climbed the highest tower, I'm brave!" (or whatever) and you then deal with whatever your guardian chooses to that event. No choice involved.

"Yay, I'm ambitious!"
    "Darn, my content tutor just beat it out of me"

Or whatever.

By choosing my own education I mainly just meant, "Yeah, I can pick whether I come of age with a diplo/martial/whatever education". I ended up being an ambitious brilliant strategist. :D

Not that it mattered. :(

But, generally speaking, your kids will pick up the traits of the guardian you give them. Or, rather, if the event around those traits fires, the guardian will nudge them in the direction of their own traits. It's possible for a temperate character to get your kid the gluttony trait, what with RNG and all, but they'll have tried to avoid it. Stat gain after 6 is based on the stats of the guardian, too. The non-genius child of two geniuses, educated by a genius, is likely to have stats at least on par with a "quick" character, despite their own shortcomings.

So if your own character is completely rubbish, it might be worth having a high stat courtier educate your kid just to give them a boost in that respect. I like sending my kids off to foreign courts. I don't worry about the culture switch, because -- thanks to RoI -- landed vassals that like you are SUPER LIKELY to adopt your culture if they're also ruling an area of your culture.

In my most recent Welsh game, for example, I had El Cid tutor my son (from the age of twelve, to simulate his being a squire). He turned Castilean... but once he came of age, and I landed him in Gwent, he switched back to Welsh within the space of about a year. And, even if he hadn't, once I started playing as him I'd have been able to make the switch myself.

That was a great game, actually. Pity it all went to **** in the early 1200s when the HRE (I frequently married my daughters to the Kaiser so I had a big ally to keep the English at bay) pressed his claim on the Kingdom, kicked my ass, reduced me to a duke and then destroyed the kingdom title when it became clear his heir would lose the election.

21. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Ohhh okay. So it's more than just picking the guy with high stewardship or learning: traits themselves matter too. In which case manually choosing who to have educate you is important. I was wondering if you could control who the auto-chosen person was, but I didn't know the traits bit.

I had a successful Zoroastrian game (first to reach Empire) going but I abandoned it for the ERE again because I want to do a full play though to import to EU4 and since we won't get DLC for a while, this seems like a good time to not worry about saves breaking.

Started with a Alexiad game. Rocky at first with the Turks all allied but I got all of Asia Minor, plus married into Georgia and Croatia so I was thinking it was easy mode.

Then while I was stomping on Sicily, I had a succession revolt. Then a Sunni jihad. Then a Shia jihad. Not fair. (The Abbasids came back and hold Egypt and Mesopotamia. Persia is now a Shia caliphate. The Seljuks are left with Khiva and Arabia and Rum is dead. The Mid East got really weird in just 40 yrs).

But I smashed the 3-front war of doom with some help from my buddies in Sweden, Hungary, and the HRE. And now I'm HWing the Seljuks and Abbasids while retaking southern Italy just because I can.

I've only ever restored the RE once, on a Makedon start, so I'm hoping to pull it off here for a 1444 import date.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

22. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    Decided to have another go at the same start.

Within the space of half a year:

[​IMG]

Needless to say, I was kind of livid.

[​IMG]

So, yeah, a much better start.

And I'm now in the perfect position to avenge the death of Eudes' father (Robert the Strong) at the hands of Hastein, who is presently the ruler of Nantes.

I can smell an epic narrative brewing, already. :)

23. Praenomen Cognomen

Praenomen Cognomen Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2013
    Hey, DigitalMessiah and blackmyron and any other people who appreciate damn fine coffee and Douglas firs...Have you checked out the Entire Mystery box set yet?

I'm torn, because it sold out on Amazon with a few copies available from third-party shops, and since it was independently produced it'll likely shoot up in price very soon... but I already have all the DVDs. I also have a... source... for the new content. So I dunno. I DON'T KNOW. Tell me what to do.

24. King of Alsakan

Nov 25, 2007

Good point about the ARC. If and when they have an expansion I was thinking maybe some form of the UK, Germany, or the Scandinavian countries would be a faction if they are not with Franco-Iberia. Same with Japan if they are not with the PAC. Also something from the Middle East.

25. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Interesting stuff. The American Reclamation Corporation sounds vaguely interesting, though it is hard to tell if it is supposed to be an example of when corporations have too much power or if it is supposed to be an example of a corporation doing good.

The Franco-Iberia faction also is kinda interesting, for the reasons that Jello noted above. The idea of them trying to preserve the best parts of Western Civilization & culture is kinda cool too.

I am very surprised that there is no Northern European faction. I wouldn't mind seeing a faction composed of the UK, Germany, the Scandinavian countries, and maybe even Iceland & Canada. In the old Civs, I was always American, English, or Roman, so it would be cool to have their quasi-equivalents in the new Civ.

In terms of diversity (paging CooperTFN), the faction leaders are diverse and score very high. The ARC and Polystralia factions have multi-racial leaders, while the others are also all at least multicultural. However, I am surprised that there isn't (revealed yet at least) a leader that is Anglo/German/Nordic is appearance. I am all for diversity, but true diversity at it's best includes white people too. :p

I am sure that the Slavic Federation will be have a white leader, considering it sounds like a Russian/Eastern European faction.

Anyways, I am more excited for this Civ now. Interested too to see how much back history they continue to develop for each faction. I love worldbuilding like that!

--Adm. Nick

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.