main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Apropos of Nothing - ACKBAR IN CAPITALS - The Lit Forum Social Thread, v2.0.15

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005

Truly, British culture is one of sophistication and elegance.

2. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    I just love you said "space palace". :p

--Adm. Nick

3. Praenomen Cognomen

Praenomen Cognomen Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2013
    So, that raccoon movie... every bit as good as the hype.

darthscott3457 and Cynical_Ben like this.
  4. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    No spoilers. I go see it Saturday. Stupid Friday night EMT shift :(

5. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    It was exactly what I expected from the trailers. Irreverent and funny with a core of solid action and a terrific soundtrack. What surprised me the most were the visuals, James Gunn did a terrific job creating several entirely new worlds for the Marvel universe to play in. The fact that it wasn't another "save the world" plot was really refreshing. And Rocket Raccoon would have easily stolen the show if not for Chris Pratt's bang-up performance. All the performances were solid, actually. Even Bautista did a good job, he had some of the movie's best lines. Bad guys were kinda meh, but that's par for the course for Marvel movies not involving Loki at this point. B+, would watch again.

6. Praenomen Cognomen

Mar 24, 2013
    Yeah, villains are tough, but at least the menacing and grumbling of Ronan and Nebula suits the characters. They couldn't have really been too irreverent themselves, so it's good Yondu was there. OH, and that whistling arrow, man... So awesome.

I'm looking forward to an ultimate confrontation with Thanos, because that movie is sure to be very plot/scheme-heavy due to the properties of the Infinity Gauntlet. It likely won't just be fight after fight.

I like that Nebula is essentially Ventress.

Revanfan1 and Cynical_Ben like this.
  7. King of Alsakan

King of Alsakan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 25, 2007
    I can't wait to see Guardians, hopefully on Sunday. First time in while I'm not seeing it opening day for reasons beyond my control. Does it have a mid-credits and post credit scene?

8. Cynical_Ben

Aug 12, 2013
    No, just post-credits and a short stinger before the actual credits roll. And, no spoilers, but they both fit perfectly with the tone of the movie.

darthscott3457 likes this.
  9. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    A friend just gave it an over-the-top amazing review on Facebook. Called it a cross between Firefly and Star Wars.

Which means I have to get to this movie. ASAP.

10. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Yeah, people have been just raving and raving about it on fb. I'm like argh, most people I know are out of town this weekend.

11. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    You can actually buy one ticket. It's allowed.

12. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Yes, yes -- I know. I don't like it, but I know it's a possibility. However, given that this is supposed to be a fun movie, it really ought to be a social experience.

Revanfan1 and Gamiel like this.
  13. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Seen it, loved it.

The post credit scean with *BLEAP* was fantasitc :)

14. DelRiego

DelRiego Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 12, 2002
    Didn't know where to put this, but it was a very interesting read

The Science os Star Wars - Talks about energy measurements of lightsabers, the death star laser, twin suns, etc.
    http://www.aintitcool.com/node/68241

darthscott3457 likes this.
  15. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Nice to seem some physicists embracing Star Wars. My personal experience is that physicists generally loathe Star Wars. They're not too keen on Star Trek either.

Dr. Curtis Saxton was one of the first that I saw that enthusiastically embraced Star Wars (although his loathing of Star Trek was even more pronounced)

darthscott3457 and DelRiego like this.
  16. King of Alsakan

King of Alsakan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 25, 2007
    Very cool article. Star Wars inspired me get into engineering in the first place, and to some extent Star Destroyers also steered me towards serving in the Navy as well, so its a big deal for me. I find from my experience in the industry, that engineers or those on the science/physics side of things like Star Wars more, but Trekkies are more vocal about being inspired by the show.

DelRiego likes this.
  17. Cynical_Ben

Aug 12, 2013
    It's definitely the least Marvel-like of all the Marvel movies thus far. It's pretty much straight up Space Opera. Firefly is a bit more used-universe than this is, but it has some of the same tone to it, for sure.

Also, massive grains of salts needed, but there's apparently been a leak in the Marvel universe. Apparently, a picture's been found somewhere that gives us the titles of the Phase 3 films and several beyond. It's a low-rez picture and could easily be a fake, but why should Episode VII get all the fun rumors? Spoilered below, you have been warned.
    [​IMG]

I earnestly hope this isn't true, simply because there's no Ms. Captain Marvel film on there.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  18. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Much of that may well happen, but I'd bet anything it's a fake.

19. Praenomen Cognomen

Mar 24, 2013
    I don't think they have the rights to Inhumans, do they? Somehow tied up with Fantastic Four I think...

In other news, I won't be sleeping tonight. Got a dude banging on the screen door at 1:00AM saying somebody was trying to hurt him, and to call the police. He didn't look trustworthy, but it's so conflicting to hear the person trying to get into your house telling you to call the police. I obviously didn't let him in, but did call the police, and I think he got arrested, which friggin' sucks if he was telling the truth... for him AND me.

EDIT: Which also means I chose a bad f'in night to work on a fanedit of Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me. Jesus, I'll be awake for a MONTH.

20. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    I'll join you in being awake as I work on some images. We can share coffee and gripe about programs that crash.

Praenomen Cognomen likes this.
  21. Praenomen Cognomen

Mar 24, 2013
    Haha, I think you might have just jinxed me. Sony Vegas bought the farm just now.

22. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    Just got back from Guardians of the Galaxy. It was amazing, especially going in with no knowledge of it beforehand.

TrakNar likes this.
  23. Kylun

Kylun Jedi Master star 2

Sep 26, 2008
    Agreed. I had very little knowledge of the Guardians, only what I've read on the wiki. I wanted to see it because it's a Marvel movie, and it looked like a lot of fun. And hot damn, did it deliver! [face_dancing]

24. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    I'm gonna have to go see it this weekend.

25. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.