main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Ackbar VS Palleon?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by cdgodin, Sep 23, 2011.

1. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Chandrila, Esseles, Ralltiir, Recopia, Duro, Corellia, and a host of other worlds disagree with you. ;) I would add two other incredibly prominent Core Worlds (Alderaan & Caamas), but we all know what Palpatine did to those worlds.

But you and I have re-tread this territory enough over the years. I am pretty sure we always agree that your real loyalty is to Core nobility, not the Empire itself. :p

--Adm. Nick

2. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    If by Alderaan, you mean the treasonous Bail Organa, certainly. Plenty of Alderaani served the Empire until Tarkin's unfortunate little overreach. Corellia stayed Imperial for a long time--until there was a revolution there too. I'll grant Ralltiir (no doubt due to their banking affiliations with the losers of the Clone Wars), Duro, and Recopia--Esseles is suspect, and Chandrila again depends on the individuals we look at.

Further, i'll note that the Empire--as the Old Republic before it--was the Core nobility.

I'll also remind you that in winter, it's safest to stay on well-trodden paths. ;)

3. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Indeed. There were numerous among the Core elite that supported the Rebel Alliance as well. At the end of the day, I stand by my point that the Core is not some uniform, patrician, pro-Empire blob. It is as unique, interesting, and diverse as the rest of the galaxy.

As Obi-wan said, it depends greatly on a one's own point of view. [face_peace]

--Adm. Nick

4. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    No, I would agree. Both the "young senatorial" and "spoiled debutante" character archetype in WEG's Heroes and Rogues (in contrast with the Imperial noble archetype) indicated a family preference for the Alliance because it represented a restoration of their house's status to the way it was under the Old Republic; the fact that they're archetypes suggest that there are a good number of these lying around (add to these some Generationals; the majority were loyalists, but some did join the Rebellion in response to the increasing totalitarianizing of the Empire). I would say that they were the exception rather than the rule, but you'll hardly find me getting monolithic about anything--that's precisely what I dislike. But our sources are clear--another source says that after the Rebels took the Core, support for them was "broad but not particularly deep"--witness the alacrity to which they returned to hte Imperial fold. It was only after the final defeat of the Empire, the horrors of Shadow Hand, and the pardoning of ex-Imperials that they truly joined the NR.

5. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000

Those are two novels that could get me interested in the EU again.

6. TheRedBlade

TheRedBlade Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 17, 2007
    I would think Alderaan to be like Massachusetts, circa-1774: just this side of open rebellion, but with a significant number of people from all social classes supporting the legal government.*

Interesting theory about Ralltiir - it's a shame we don't see more of it. That goes triple for Chandrila.

*Conceeding the point for now that the Empire was still a legal government. An argument for a dozen other threads.

7. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    I wouldn't mind seeing the Battle of Kuat, I think that the Eclipse design team escaped on the incomplete Eclipse from Kuat to Byss when Kuat fell to the New Republic? Although during DE it seems like the Eclipse was a complete surprise, just like the rest of the Emperor's superweapons, but it seems kind of funny these days after the Empire at War expansion, although the Eclipse couldn't have been that far from completion as its superlaser was already used at least once I think.

Although while the taking of Coruscant was kind of disappointing, but then Isard wanted thew New Republic to get a dying Coruscant, and it sorta worked anyway. But considering how heavily defended plenty of other Core planets should be, there should be plenty of material for other stories. Although my favorite for filling in that gap is still Stover, especially after Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mindor.

Not to mention that even after the New Republic permanently got the Core after Thrawn and the reborn Emperor were gone, there were still Imperial fortress worlds, but they were no threat on their own. Though speaking of Thrawn, seeing the New Republic deal with all the other Grand Admirals would sure make for an exciting story too. We know all their fates, but rather Ackbar taking them on, or even the Grand Admirals killing each other off.

Going back to the original Ackbar vs. Pellaeon fight, while its very cool to have the Guardian, Lusankya and Reaper all involved, I almost wish the Viscount could've been involved too, as otherwise the New Republic's Star Defender dreadnought is finally completed, but the war is almost over. It would probably require changing a few things, but the whole campaign is still vague enough that the Viscount's completion date could be moved up a bit. Otherwise its just kind of sad that the Viscount is never actually used against the Empire much (even that picture of the Viscount taking on some generic Imperial holdouts is a stretch).