main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Acronyms

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Saint_of_Killers, Dec 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Saint_of_Killers

Saint_of_Killers Jedi Youngling star 5

Feb 18, 2001
    Recently, I saw the acronym "MIL(banned letter here)" edited out, despite the fact that it was clearly stated that the letter in question did not stand for any profanity. The rationale was "we all know what it means". Which, of course, we don't, because the acronym in question just as often stands for another word with the same meaning, but that isn't prohibited, such as "freak". What happened was the mod in question assumed that because she had only heard it used in one way, that was the only way it could be used. In effect, this mod claimed to know what we were thinking, and say that we couldn't do that.

The same goes for "WT(banned letter here)". The F could just as easily mean "freak". It is not the fault of the poster if someone takes it to mean a profanity, because the reader's mind is in the gutter.

Don't close this thread plz. If it serves no purpose, if it's beating a dead horse or starting an arguement that can go nowhere, then it will die on its own. It does not require your help. But if there is soomething to be said here, if there is a discussion to be had, then the thread will live, and closing it would be a disservice to us all. It's a shame that I have to devote an entire paragraph of the thread to asking certain people not to lock it.

2. Liz Skywalker

Liz Skywalker Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 13, 2000
    Acronyms can stand for many different things. For example, OT stands for Old Testament, Old Trilogy, and Off Topic.

I don't get why acronyms are banned. OMG and WTF can easily stand for "Olde Machiavellian Guild" and "Whistlers' Toenail Fungus" respectively.

3. YoungJedi11

YoungJedi11 Jedi Knight star 5

May 20, 2002
    I think if someone actually cares this much about this issue, and they vehemently feel they should be able to write these words, then write them. I believe the five extra seconds it would take to write out the whole phrase you're trying to say would be much more acceptable than endless debates in Comms.

4. gwaernardel

gwaernardel Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    What if people starting just using really obscure acronyms? If I say TTIRFLOMG, you don't know what the F stands for. Could I get edited for that?

5. Stackpole_The_Hobbit

Stackpole_The_Hobbit Jedi Master star 6

Jul 31, 2002
    If I say ROTFCATC, you don't know what exactly that means.

EDIT: Forgot the 'T'.

6. HawkNC

HawkNC Former RSA: Oceania star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2001
    I do, but that's neither here nor there. And why you do is beyond me.

7. gwaernardel

gwaernardel Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    Rolls of fat can affect the chin?

8. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    > I think if someone actually cares this much about this issue, and they vehemently feel they should be able to write these words, then write them. I believe the five extra seconds it would take to write out the whole phrase you're trying to say would be much more acceptable than endless debates in Comms.

Excellent point!

9. Stackpole_The_Hobbit

Jul 31, 2002
    Rolls Of Tough Fat Can Affect The Chin, yes

10. Vader Fett

Vader Fett Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 18, 1999
    FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, am i the ONLY person at the JC who knows the difference between an acronym and an abbreviation? //rage

acronyms: NASA, SCUBA, SEAL, MADD, etc.

abbreviations: OMGLOLOROTFLMAOOMGLOLOLOLOLOBRBKTHXPLZPLZLOLO, WTF, MLB, NFL, FBI, etc.

11. Liz Skywalker

Liz Skywalker Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 13, 2000
    No. what r u talking about?

12. YoungJedi11

YoungJedi11 Jedi Knight star 5

May 20, 2002
    What if people starting just using really obscure acronyms? If I say TTIRFLOMG, you don't know what the F stands for. Could I get edited for that?

If I say ROTFCATC, you don't know what exactly that means.

It's remarks like these that I think push administrators away from taking you seriously. Instead of providing points or reasons for why you're posting this, you fill it with sarcasm on why they're wrong. People are a lot more willing to listen when they're not being mocked.

Sarcasm may be amusing, but it's not going to get you what you want.

Edit: Take Liz's slash thread. While a lot of people may not agree with it, she presented it all in a well thought out and precise manner, so there's a civilized discussion going on over there.

13. HawkNC

Oct 23, 2001
    Vader Fett, an abbreviation is actually something like adj., fridge or or auto (when it is short for automatic). Acronyms are any word comprised of the first letters of a number of other words. At least, AFAIK. :)

14. Vader Fett

Mar 18, 1999
    acronyms are ONLY when you take the first letter of each main word and form a word with those letters. NASA is a pronounceable word, BBQ is not. abbreviations are shortened words, such as adj. (adjective), OR shortened series' of words, such as MLB (Major League Baseball). initials are also abbreviations.

15. HawkNC

Oct 23, 2001
    Really? Never knew that. Huh.

16. BOBAFETISH

BOBAFETISH Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 19, 2001
    I just looked up acronym on dictionary.com and it doesn't say anything about the word having to be pronounceable. I think it's just that the ones that are would be more popular.IMHO(pronounced as the contraction and ebonic "I am a female who takes money for sex"). In my humble opinion, anyway.

17. BOBAFETISH

BOBAFETISH Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 19, 2001
    It also lists RADAR as an acronym, which doesn't have all the first letters. I think you should be sure of something before you rant about how wrong everybody is.

Edit: The defintions of abbreviation does have U.S.A as an example of one, which does use the first letter but is not pronounceable. I'm fascinated and will research this further.

18. flying_fishi

flying_fishi Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 26, 2002
    oosah. Oh look, phonetic spelling of USA.

19. Vader Fett

Mar 18, 1999
    It also lists RADAR as an acronym, which doesn't have all the first letters. I think you should be sure of something before you rant about how wrong everybody is.

um, yeah, maybe read the part where i said "the first letter of each main word". and don't worry, i'm plenty sure of the rampant misuse of the word 'acronym' around here.

Edit: The defintions of abbreviation does have U.S.A as an example of one, which does use the first letter but is not pronounceable. I'm fascinated and will research this further.

congratulations, you've learned that 'USA' is not an acronym.

thanks for playing.

20. Darth_AYBABTU

Darth_AYBABTU Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 8, 2001

I think all you people carrying on because you can't say WT* at the JC should have a coke and a smile. Seriously, you should really find some other oppression to cry about. With this issue, you come off as whiny, self-important children who just want to complain about anything. Are you? I dunno. Sometimes it really seems like it. Maybe you just like the freedom to use profanity when your parents aren't within earshot. Or maybe you just aren't considering the issue in reasonable terms. Really, is it such a big deal? Do you have such a poorly developed vocabulary that you must resort to pitiful three letter acronyms to make a point? Is that the only surprised excalamation that you know? If so, that's pathetic. There is absolutely not one single subject that may ever be discussed at the JC where WT* is the only possible relevant response. Grow up. Wise up. Study up. Learn some new words. The simple truth of the matter is that the powers-that-be at the JC don't want you to use the acronym. So don't. Many of you have adequately expressed your disagreement. Continuing to complain about it after so long does not further your cause. Instead, it exposes you as someone who isn't creative or respectful enough to come up with something else to say.

Really. Give up this pitiful crusade. It's exceedingly lame.

AYBABTU?

21. Darth_AYBABTU

Darth_AYBABTU Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 8, 2001

I'm not finished yet.

You know, there's a sign in the window of a local café that says "No shirt, no shoes, no service."

When I choose to eat there, I don't stand in the doorway shirtless, carrying on and on about how puritanical the management is because they won't let me eat a hamburger steak without wearing a shirt. Instead, I just put on a shirt and eat the hamburger steak. It's as simple as that.

Sometimes when I'm at home, however, I may prepare my own hamburger steak, and then eat it shirtless. Sometimes I even do so pantsless. I have that right, because it's my own home.

Also, sometimes when I'm at home I talk to the wall. That's just practice for coming to Comms, though.

AYBABTU?

22. Vader Fett

Mar 18, 1999
    good points, but it's still not an acronym.

23. Stackpole_The_Hobbit

Jul 31, 2002
    I don't think that's what AYBABTU (ay-BAB-too) was saying. I didn't read the whole post, but I think he was saying something similar to 'who gives a ****?'

24. Saint_of_Killers

Saint_of_Killers Jedi Youngling star 5

Feb 18, 2001
    Well, Aybabtu apparently cared enough to post in this thread.

25. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    Saint...
    "despite the fact that it was clearly stated that the letter in question did not stand for any profanity."

Don't keep us in suspense, man. So what did it stand for!?!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.