main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"Across A Crowded Room"

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by Jaded, Jun 1, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stranger in Paradise

Stranger in Paradise Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 8, 2000
    I just have to say: *LOL*, *giggle*, and *mwuhahaha*. I'm greatly enjoying this story. I hope you post more soon.

2. Herman Snerd

Herman Snerd Jedi Master star 6

Oct 31, 1999
    This is very interesting. Reading how a woman writes a bunch of drunken men having fun.

As an occassional drunken man, I must say you'r portrayal is not too bad. The only thing is, drunken men are much meaner to each other. Oh we still have fun with each other, but the jokes get nastier and nastier.

3. Jaded

Jaded Jedi Master star 3

Feb 27, 2000
    Man, I thought this post was longer. Oh well, hope you like it. More still to come sometime in the near future. BTW: Drunks coming up later. A little meaner, but these men, under the influence of quality Corellian are in the practice of something a little more subtle...yeah, that's it...heh heh. ;-)

Across A Crowded Room cont.
    by Jaded

"All depends--are you asking?" Her gaze was steady but her pupils dialted nervously. And then they could almost see the joke drop between them and reveal the seriousness of the real question at hand.

"Yes I am," he finally managed to answer. "I'm asking that and--" he hitched, tugging at his collar like a fidgeting little boy, "and more."

"More." Mara repeated the word softly as though it were fragile as a thin sheet of ice.

"More," he whispered as he slipped his arm around Mara's waist, pressing his temple against hers. Although she steadied him, grounded him, touching her made him tremble with both fear and delight. She could hear him swallow before he spoke, and she could feel the vibrations in his throat when he spoke. "...love you, Mara." His lips brushed against her ear and that sent a shiver firing through her body. "I love you," he said again, closer; sweeter. "I think I have--for a very long time. I just . . ."

Mara shut her eyes--squeezed them tight. She had sometimes wondered about that. For that moment her walls were down and she completely surrendered herself to him--something she had never done for anyone. But it was only a moment, and when she caught herself she immediately slammed up her barriers.

"I love you," he said again, the earnestness in his voice overwhelming the growing confidence he felt but didn't show.

Mara took a cleansing breath and tried to slow her rapidly beating heart. "You and the rest of the smashball team."

Luke jerked away and there was torture in his eyes. Mara started, taken aback by his strong reaction. He flexed his mechanical hand in a gesture meant to aid him in a calming technique. Mara gritted her teeth and mentally swore at herself. "Luke--"

"Why the barriers?" his eyes large and wounded and his voice sad. "Why now, Mara?" He sighed. "Why?" Shw watched him back away.

"Habit?" she offered lamely, but somehow Mara knew words could not explain. Nonetheless, she tried, wishing up courage untested in these waters. She let the busy sound of Coruscant fill up in the empty space between them for the length of another silence and stood at a distance, watching him. She could see the outline of his jaw; could see the emotions written in the fuzzy lines they made against the bright city night. There was pride there, injured as it were, and Mara let her lips quirk at her own expense. Not much unlike her, she thought as she indulged into another thought--of him, naturally. A day without him occupying her thoughts was a day she had been knocked unconscious, and sometimes not even then. "Habit, Luke," she continued at last. "I've worked years building up these walls. You know that. I don't know what it's like to be loved. It seems unnatural--"

He cut her off. "Unnatural for me to--"

"Oh shut up, Skywalker, do you ever shut up?"

"I don't want to argue," he replied dismissively, frustration apparent.

"I was going to say it was unnatural to think someone could care about me like that. It's abnormal." She laughed harshly, her voice like sandpaper. "People are supposed to fear me; maybe respect me, but love?"

"What is that?"

Mara's temper suddenly flared. "What is *that*? I asked the question. You're supposed to tell me!" She threw her arms up in the air. "Why do I bother?"

"No, no," he said, looking past her. "I heard something."

"They're just Ewoks in the air ducts. Don't mind it." A look of irritation crossed her face. He was just sucking all the mood out of this.

"They could be Imperials or loyalists to the Empire out to sabotage the Endor celebration. All our friends are in there,

4. Leia

Leia Jedi Grand Master star 2

Aug 8, 1998
    *sniff* Beautiful, just beautiful.

5. Jedi Trace

Jedi Trace Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 15, 1999
    *once again JADED has managed to reduce JEDI TRACE to a puddle on the floor...
    she'll return when she regains the power of speech.*

6. Queen_Pixie

Queen_Pixie Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 20, 1999
    I second that sentiment Trace...It's gonna take me awhile to get my sense back in order.... Great job again Jaded!

7. Jedi Master Mara Jade

Jedi Master Mara Jade Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 8, 1999
    Perfect. Absolutely perfect.

I like having Big Jedi Luke turned into a little boy. =)

:starts sobbing tears of happiness:

8. JadesHand

JadesHand Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 1, 2000
    Lovely job. You are a very good writer.

Through the Force I see you have a brilliant future! :)

9. Lara_Notsil

Lara_Notsil Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 30, 2000
    Jaded ~ Wow!

You've got Luke and Mara's relationship down better than the guys that get paid to do it.

Everytime I read this story and A Different View I'm completely blown away!

Keep writing ~ :)

10. Herman Snerd

Oct 31, 1999
    Ewoks in the air ducts. LOL!!!

Why do I have the feeling that our drunken fighter pilots are about to make their triumphant return?

11. Artemis

Artemis Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 20, 2000
    That isn't the end, is it? I hope not ... beautiful things should go on forever ... sigh.

12. Jedi Trace

Dec 15, 1999
    //~~You *will* add to this story~~//

Sorry but sometimes a Jedi gotta do what a Jedi gotta do!

13. Jaded

Jaded Jedi Master star 3

Feb 27, 2000
    A new part this weekend--I promise. Been battling work and illness but I'll try to get a bunch written. It's getting near the end, but we still got Rogues and we still got romance to go :) SO stay tuned Jedi fans.

=jaded=

14. Herman Snerd

Oct 31, 1999
    Sorry to hear you're not feeling well.

I promise to try to be patient.

15. Phoenix928

Phoenix928 Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 2, 1999
    Work and illness... terrible combination. My sympathies...

Oh well, I think we'll be all right... we're all good, patient little Jedi, aren't we?

Aren't we?!

:)

16. Jaded

Jaded Jedi Master star 3

Feb 27, 2000
    I know it's been a while since I've updated, but I've gotten a bunch of writing done today! Problem is, it's just no in order :) So I'm thinking two more parts after this and this bad boy is done.

And now, we cut away from Luke and Mara to build dramatic tension, and bring you--yes, Rogue Squadron! Take it, boys!

=jaded=

------

"Across A Crowded Room" cont.

Corran had never realized how well Wedge could sing. For that matter, he had never known that Wedge *could* sing. If Mirax and Wedge hadn't been like brother and sister, Corran thought with a shake of his head, he could have sworn his wife was swooning for his friend and commander. He staggered over to a wall--a friendly one at that--and leaned up against it, sipping at his glass of Corellian brandy that felt so cool against his hot skin, and cheered when Wedge finished his song.

Tycho Celchu, the only member of Rogue Squadron not completely punchass-stumbling-like-a-dying-bantha drunk, helped Wedge off the table that had been acting as the make-shift talent show stage. Wedge swiped some sort of fruity mixed drink off a table that no one had been nursing and offered it to his friend. Tycho declined, much to Wedge's consternation.

"You forget," Tycho said with a nod towards white-haired Winter, "my wife doesn't forget anything." He laughed heartily at his friend. "And I don't think I'm going to be forgetting tonight for a long time, either." Wedge frowned. Then he reached out and slapped Tycho on the head.

"Ow! What was that for?" Tycho shouted, slapping Wedge back in the same manner.

"I wanted to give you amnesia." And as an afterthought, "So you would forget." He sipped at the drink again.

Tycho could not help but laugh, and as he did so, he swiped the drink out of Wedge's hands, setting it down again as he maneuvered one of the liberators of Coruscant towards a seat on the Horn's couch. But before they had made it that far, two blurs of motion came careening towards them, one from the left and one from the right. There was a collision and from the mess, Tycho could decipher the faces and forms of Wes Janson and Hobbie Klivian. "At least we don't have to worry about brain damage," he remarked dryly as he helped his squadron-mates up to their wobbly feet.

"Wedge!" Wes shouted, embracing his commander. "You!" he said, jabbing his whole fist instead of just a finger into Wedge's chest, doubling Wedge over, "you were so good up there! Can you act, too?"

Hobbie, rubbing his head painfully, managed to jump in, dizziness, drunkenness and all. And though completely inebriated beyond all previous levels, he somehow still managed to look like his dour self. "Yeah, boss. Screw this whole military business. The entertainment industry is missing out. You should be doing musical comedy."

[to be continued]

17. Herman Snerd

Oct 31, 1999
    LOL! Your depiction of drunken reverie is awe inspiring. I now want to go out and get rip roaring drunk with my friends.

I'm glad you got some writing done, and I hope you're feeling better.

18. maramijade

maramijade Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 17, 2000
    hehehehe just stumbled upon this Jaded, Lovin every minute of it, Glad your feelin better!!

and no we are not good patient little jedi. We want more!!!!

19. Jedi Master Mara Jade

Jedi Master Mara Jade Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 8, 1999
    ROTFL!! I love the drunken Rogues! Also love you description of:

--------------------------------------------------

...punchass-stumbling-like-a-dying-bantha drunk...

--------------------------------------------------

Perfect! Can't wait to see the parts you wrote *out* of order - - since they'll be quicker then, right?

RIGHT? :echoes:

Oh well, this post will tide us over for a good long time. =)

20. Queen_Pixie

Queen_Pixie Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 20, 1999
    *clap, clap, clap*

Great!! Drunken Rogues! We need some more Rogue fic, even if its within a L/M fic.

21. val solo

val solo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 22, 2000
    Jaded-- this is so great! My husband keeps wondering what I'm chuckling about.:)
    And I keep getting goosepimples during all of the romantic scenes just like L and M.

More, please!

22. Phoenix928

Phoenix928 Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 2, 1999
    Gotta love the drunken Rogues...

Drunken Wedge is fun to see... I mean, you expect Wes and Hobbie to get... how did you call it? "punchass-stumbling-like-a-dying-bantha drunk"? Yeah, I think that was it... But you don't really expect that kind of behavior from Golden Boy Antilles. It's nice to see every now and again.

Just try not to let them have TOO much fun... don't want to start anyone drinking who normally doesn't, you know...

23. KnightMara

KnightMara Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 13, 1999
    I just stumbled on this story, and I'm LOVIN' IT!
    More!
    More!

24. Jedi Trace

Dec 15, 1999
    CUTE!!! Can't wait for more! :D

25. RebelMom

RebelMom Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 20, 2000
    More Luke and Mara. (RebelMom steps over the drunken Rogues) More Luke and Mara.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.