main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"Across A Crowded Room"

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by Jaded, Jun 1, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maramijade

maramijade Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 17, 2000
    UUUUUUUPPPPPPPPPPPPP, Maramijade growls like said dieing Bantha

2. Teebones

Teebones Jedi Padawan star 4

May 8, 2000
    Great Story! I hope to read some more!

3. maramijade

Feb 17, 2000
    uppers time

4. Jaded Skywalker

Jaded Skywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 24, 1999
    I am loving this Jaded!

It is pure torture to wait for your next post!

*screams in agony*

5. maramijade

Feb 17, 2000
    it's tourture to wait for anyone to post more, builds tension though

6. Jaded Skywalker

Nov 24, 1999
    a lot of tension!

7. Jaded Skywalker

Nov 24, 1999
  8. Jaded

Jaded Jedi Master star 3

Feb 27, 2000
    We are very near the end...hope you've enjoyed the ride. ;-) De-tense, and enjoy (so I hope!) this latest selection of "Across A Crowded Room."

(You guys are wonderful! Thanks for all the feedback thus far!)
    ----------

"You could borrow my purple cape," Wes offered, "and my purple tights, and--"

Tycho cut him off, placing a reassuring hand on his shoulder. "Ok, seriously, Wes, as your friend--that's more than I needed to know."

Hobbie sighed. "And people wonder why I act the way I do."

"We stopped wondering years ago, Hobbie," Wedge interjected, a silly grin plastered on his noble face.

This same face them morphed into something that feigned seriousness. "Years."

Hobbie reached over and snatched Wedge's fruity delight of a drink out of his and inhaled it, saying "I need a drink," after-the-fact. Hobbie then made a quick scan of his surroundings, his eyes hungering for another drop of any available intoxicant. And then there it was--a nearly-empty bottle of the finest Corellian reserves in the hands of Gavin Darklighter, who, in Hobbie's estimation, couldn't be that far away...

Severely miscalculating, Hobbie more or less dove forward without a second-thought and found himself propelled into the esteemed belly of one Wedge Antilles. Like an X-wing bouncing off the face of a cliff, Hobbie went crashing to the ground in spectacular fashion. Unlike a cliff though, Wedge fared far worse. Still recovering from the blow Wes had delivered into his chest, Wedge, even with his tough, Corellian constitution could take no more.

As the group around his friends was growing more numerous, Corran could not make out exactly what was going on from his position across the crowded room. Rubbing his eyes with the back of his arm, he was careful to set his drink down first before he grabbed a hold of the curtain to his balcony door to raise himself up to get a better view. Steadying himself, Corran cursed his ineptitude at telekinesis in a multitude of colorful ways he had learned over the years. Yet from his new position, he could not see, but visuals were soon unnecessary as the other senses got their due.

Wedge toppled over once again, this time losing his footing as Hobbie had somehow managed to take his feet out from under him. Then, without warning, a sound that rivaled that of swamp-gas from the deepest, darkest, and nastiest portion of Dagobah, erupted from his mouth. His head spinning and unsure of what had just transpired, Wedge looked up to Tycho for explanation. However, it was Wes Janson, in his own special way, that conveyed to sole survivor of two Death Star runs, what he occurred with two, simple words:

"WEDGE PURGE!"

As soon as the words left Wes Janson's mouth, the party-goers erupted into something like a frenzy. Corran, shocked out of losing his balance, went toppling to the ground in a fashion that seemed a popular method amongst Rogue Squadron members this night. However he came out with nary a scratch, the liquor doing a good job of keeping him limber. It was the fall that had the most impact on his sense, though. Clarity of mind hit him like the stench of the insides of a taun-taun and his mind sprung into action. "The nerf-hide sofas!" he thought frantically. They had been belated wedding gifts from his father-in-law. Five years belated at that, when Booster Terrik had finally accepted the fact that his only daughter was married, and was going to stay married, to a Horn of all things. If something happened to those sofas, Corran thought despairingly--he had to think fast!

Luke would probably object to what he was about to do--though Luke was nowhere in sight at the
    moment, Corran reasoned--but it was a necessary evil. Focusing his mind as best he could, he directed his thought of choice into the minds of Wedge Antilles, Wes Janson, Hobbie Klivian, and anyone else who was within arms-reach of them.

Immediately, the room went dead silent. Corran blinked.

And Wedge blinked. And Hobbie blinked. And Wes blinked--twice in fact. Even Tycho, who w

9. Jedi-Jade

Jedi-Jade Jedi Master star 4

Nov 21, 1999
    Do we want another post? Uh, does is a Hutt ugly? (Wait, note to self, joke already used)

10. RebelMom

RebelMom Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 20, 2000
    Staying tuned. Same time, same station?
    Note to self: bring popcorn

11. Teebones

Teebones Jedi Padawan star 4

May 8, 2000
    Thia has been a great story! It's sad to see it go. I know, do a sequal or something!!

12. Jedi Trace

Jedi Trace Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 15, 1999
    Well, I'm just gonna hafta sit right here...in this spot...and wait.... [face_clown]

Sure hope I don't have to wait long...

13. Jaded Skywalker

Nov 24, 1999
    Is that it?

Well Jaded, thanks for taking us along on the ride. I hope you continue it or write a sequel!

Great story!!!!!!!!!

14. Herman Snerd

Herman Snerd Jedi Master star 6

Oct 31, 1999
    So they were actually falling down drunk? Cool.

But what's going on out there on that balcony?

15. Jaded

Jaded Jedi Master star 3

Feb 27, 2000
    No reason for me to be a tease since I'm already done, so here is the last installment. Huge thanks to everyone who has been so supportive and wonderful to me about this story and stories past. You know who you are. It's a great boost to self-esteem and tasty incentive to write more. So a thousand times thanks again, and on we go to the last scene. I hope it doesn't disappoint.

=jaded=
    ------------

Across A Crowded Room (end)
    by Jaded

"What was that for?"

Mara pursed her lips, a hint of frustration starting to show on her face. "You mean aside from the obvious?"

"Ah, yeah. That."

"You wouldn't stop talking," she said nonchalantly, then kissed him again, her mouth burning for the touch. "Desperate times call for desperate measures."

"Then color me hopelessly desperate--"

"Don't worry, I do."

"How 'bout just deperately in love?"

"Oh now you're getting sappy, Luke." She slapped him on the arm.

He laughed. "So I am," he replied with a grin that made Mara's heart do little flip flops. He touched her face again and she placed her hand over his. "So I am."

A contented sigh came from Mara, one which surprised her. "So is this what happiness feels like?"

"You're asking me?" he asked, pulling her close again and kissing her forehead. And as though on cue, fireworks exploded in the sky above them.

"Sorry," she mused, "I forgot who I was talking to." Mara made a happy sound, making note of this moment to file away in her memory banks. A beautiful night, music playing in the background--although a little off-key and raucous, and . . . why did it sound like Wedge Antilles?--and Luke Skywalker. Not exactly the formula she expected, but combined it was a potent mix. It was chemistry at work with potential for explosives, but she thought again, it had always been this way between them, regardless of the setting. Setting her thoughts aside she let herself lean into his chest a little more. "This is nice."

"Glad you think so."

"I suppose we have to figure this happiness thing out together?"

"I suppose so. If you don't mind. Although I suspect this might take quite a while to figure out. Actually, Mara, I was," he stopped, a little catch in his throat, his voice a little hesitant; a little scared. "I was hoping you'd consider, um, well working with me on this project--long term."

"Sounds a lot like a proposal," she said without missing a beat.

He cocked his head. "Maybe it is."

"Then, maybe yes."

"Maybe?"

"I'll consider changing my answer if you change your question."

"Deal."

"Want me to sign in blood?"

"How about we seal it with a kiss instead? It's a lot less messy."

"So you would think," she replied, a sparkle in her eye, but no more words were wasted before she had grabbed him roughly by the collar to seal the deal. Gasping for air and taking a moment to recover, blushes receding from both their faces, Mara managed to speak first. "Now that we got the issue of the rest of our lives settled, what do you propose we do with the rest of the evening?"

Luke smiled mysteriously. "I got some ideas." Mara twisted a strand of his hair in between her fingers, lips curling upwards, a murmur of approval rumbling out of her throat. She winked at him. Then there was another searing kiss, lips relunctantly parting like fine threads of spider silk.

"And to think," she said, her mischevious green eye one inch from his blue, "the night is still young."

THE END

16. Herman Snerd

Herman Snerd Jedi Master star 6

Oct 31, 1999
    Well Mara sure has a dirty mind. :)

Wonderful story Jaded. A clever mix of romance and raucus drunkenness I don't think I would have had the guts to try.

I sincerely hope you write another story again very soon.

17. niqella

niqella Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 2, 1999
    (Sigh) Delightful, way to end the evening. Great story, can't wait for your next tale from a galaxy far far away.

18. Queen_Pixie

Queen_Pixie Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 20, 1999
    Aaah...wonderful ending, I can just see Mara doing the flirting thing.

Now, inspiration for me to finally finish my fic(I hope, fingers crossed)

Bravo!! Now, can we do the Rogue fic? LOL

19. Jedi Trace

Jedi Trace Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 15, 1999
    WOO HOO!!!! Brava! *loud clapping and whistles* Brava! Thanks for a great ride!! :D

20. Phoenix928

Phoenix928 Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 2, 1999
    Nice job... especially like the unorthodox proposal... definitely in character. It's Luke and Mara, after all... they can't exactly do anything the way normal people do. I like it! :)

21. maramijade

Feb 17, 2000
    Great job Jaded, I thouroughly enjoyed it.

22. RebelMom

RebelMom Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 20, 2000
    Wonderful story. You are a very talented writer. Looking forward to reading more of your stories.

23. Jaded Skywalker

Nov 24, 1999
    Oh that was sooooo sweet Jaded.

I have to say you are one of the best writers on this forum in my opinion. You express emotions so well its remarkable. The characters are so vivid and real. With each word they say we get deeper and deeper into the emotions and feelings they are experiencing at the moment. Especially on the balcony. That is one of the best scenes you have written. I must have reread that one 10 times already, "and the night is still young"! I love reading your stories!

I hope you continue writing Luke and Mara stories like this one. Hey, maybe a sequel. Kids, wedding, honeymmoon.... That was only a subtle hint, right? ;)

Hope I will se another story by Jaded soon!

24. Lara_Notsil

Lara_Notsil Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 30, 2000
    I agree with Jaded Skywalker. We need more sequels!

25. Jedi-Jade

Jedi-Jade Jedi Master star 4

Nov 21, 1999
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.