main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Across the Stars=Star Wars Theme in Minor Scale

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by Guinastasia, Jul 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Guinastasia

Guinastasia Force Ghost star 6

Jun 9, 2002
    I was just thinking about this, and it occurred to me this morning, as I'm listening to my soundtracks-that "Across the Stars" is the EXACT same melody as the main theme-only a minor scale.

Am I right? Musicians, could you help out?

2. The___

The___ Jedi Youngling star 3

May 14, 2002
    I don't think it's exactly the same thing except in minor scale, but I can see where you are coming from.

The triplets and notes used in the initial phrase appears to sound similar (as far as the beats go). But besides that, it seems to bear its own completely unique melody, even if placed in a minor scale.

Just my opinion though :)

3. flyingseal

flyingseal Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 20, 2002
  4. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    I'd class it as a variation

5. Ozzel

Ozzel TF.N Foreign Book Covers Staff star 5 VIP

May 14, 2001
    Yeah, I can hear the similarities.

6. Wolverine

Wolverine Jedi Master star 5

Dec 17, 1999
    Rythmicly I can see it. But I sometimes think it has much in common with the hook theme.

7. Ganki

Ganki Jedi Master star 3

Jan 27, 2002
    I would have to say that you are close but not close enough yes it is in minor but the main theme starts as a P5 (perfect fith) yet the love theme is a m6 (minor sixth) and the progresion of the notes are different as well. Also for the music majors out there you will get this if you have the same question:

The key the love theme is in and the main theme is in the modulation would make no sense at all (well from grad theory people it may but not for regular college theory) and it would be braking rules in the process.

Hope any of that helped ^-^ *sorry if i confused any one) and I am a music major not a english major as you can probably see/read lol ^-^!

P.S Any question about whatever I said don't worry and ask away.

8. Aiwendil

Aiwendil Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 1, 2002
    I agree that there is a rhythmic similarity between the themes as well as a slight melodic similarity in the descending triplets. But other than that it's quite independent. Note that the opening leap (aside from being a sixth rather than a fifth, and from dominant to mediant rather than tonic to dominant) is accented differently. In the main theme, the leap is from the downbeat of one to the downbeat of three - both accented beats. But in the love theme the first note is an anacrucis (pick-up).

Of course, despite the many differences, inter-thematic comparison and analysis is certainly interesting.

The AotC love theme also bears some resemblance to Leia's theme and Han and Leia's theme. Both of the latter begin with with a leap of a major sixth, from anacrucis to downbeat. The AotC theme begins with a similar leap, but of a minor sixth rather than major, which nicely reinforces the contrast between the Anakin/Padme and the Han/Leia love stories.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.