main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Acting expectations for Revenge of the Sith.

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by tuskenkiller, Aug 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tuskenkiller

tuskenkiller Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 30, 2004
    Alot of people think the last 2 preuqels have had horrible acting in some parts(im one of them.)I'm hoping ROTS can redeem the 2 others acting wise.I mean george has so much to work with in this movie.

From the pictures on hyperspace it looks like hayden is giveing some awesome darth vader looks and to me it seems he's gonna pull through.

Ian has been good the whole saga so iam defently expecting a good preformance from him. Same with ewan and count dooku.

But then theres portman who cant seem to show one bit of emotion or say anyline right...arghhhh she better do it right this time.

2. SENATOR_OVALTINE

SENATOR_OVALTINE Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 20, 2004
    Wasnt it said that te actors had more freedom this time to interpret the lines they way they wanted, or to show more emotion?

3. MasterP

MasterP Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jun 8, 2003
    I thought the acting in the last two films were fine.
    But I didn't like Hayden in ATOC. :(

The PT still owns the OT :)

4. LUKE-SPYWALKER

LUKE-SPYWALKER Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 6, 2003
    I love Star Wars, but I think due to the amount of BLUE ACREEN work, the acting is struggling to hold up as well as a non-effects film.

I don't have high hopes for EP3

5. DarthNomis

DarthNomis Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 2, 2001
    Hayden's confession scene of killing the women and children sand people to Padme is the best acting in all the StarWars movies. I still get chills from watching it!

Lian Nesson as Quigon was superb! Ewan McGregor have been great since day one, he IS Obi Wan Kenobi NOW! Ian as Palpatine is superb (his subtley hints as the emperor is so on the money)! The great Christopher Lee is always good as a bad guy! ALWAYS! Sam Jackson has been underused but his character really is only a supprting charater to Yoda.

Padme have been a little stiff at time but it hasn't hurt the overall acting for me. Jake Lyloyd was proboly the weakest.

So I'm expecting them to take it up greatly in ROTS with the potential dramatic scenes in it.

6. Kabal

Kabal Jedi Grand Master star 2

Nov 18, 1998
    This is my biggest gripe with critics: Saying that the acting is bad. Forgive me if I'm wrong and out of place, but who watches these movies for Oscar-quality acting? If you're setting the expectations that the acting should be like that in Mystic River or American Beauty, then you're just fooling yourself and bringing in a preconceived bias against the movies.

7. obianikdart

obianikdart Jedi Master star 4

Dec 2, 2002
    Yes this time they had more freedom , And they have more experience working with th blue set so , Im forecasting the acting will be alot better , And their is goign to be alot of Dramatic scenes.
    Gl chose Hayden espacially for this movie , This ttime its no holding back ,Lucas is going to go all out in terms of acting , cinematagrophy etc etc .
    From the images we have seen already you can tell how great hayden will potray his character .
    I have very high ewx[pectations for this one . Its going to be great .

8. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    I actually expect Hayden's to be best. He does emotion well, and this film is just one big testoterone fest for Anakin. He has to emote more than the rest of the cast in this one, with the exception of Natalie. The pics we've been seeing show some real emotions, not just anger, but emotions. He's gonna knock our socks off.

9. tuskenkiller

Jul 30, 2004
    Hayden's confession scene of killing the women and children sand people to Padme is the best acting in all the StarWars movies.

I agree that was on of the few scenes with good acting.

This is my biggest gripe with critics: Saying that the acting is bad. Forgive me if I'm wrong and out of place, but who watches these movies for Oscar-quality acting? If you're setting the expectations that the acting should be like that in Mystic River or American Beauty, then you're just fooling yourself and bringing in a preconceived bias against the movies.

I dont. But i think there have been far to many "cringe" moments especially in AOTC.

10. clone3131

clone3131 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2004
    The PT still owns the OT :eek: So young my young padawan- so young....
    [face_laugh]

Anyway, i think Hayden and all did a fine job, epecially Ewan and Ian, i think it was the material they were working with was the problem...

11. --Darth_Ganondorf--

--Darth_Ganondorf-- Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 25, 2003
    But then theres portman who cant seem to show one bit of emotion or say anyline right...arghhhh she better do it right this time.

[image=http://img78.photobucket.com/albums/v258/brian_stic/PadmeOwned.jpg]

Here

She looks fine to me so far...

I don't think, according to reports and whatnot, that acting will be an issue here. Nat looks and sounds like, if you've seen WebDoc 6 "Video Village" IIRC ("Thank you captain") that she's working on emotion as a main priority. Ian was called the best one there, Hayden says he has more freedom to do what he wants, and I won't worry about Ewan.

Lucas wants to make ROTS perfect, and that same motive is leaking into the actors. I wouldn't worry about a thing

//*Edit: And now that I remember, the crew called some scenes heart-wrenching and such; supposedly some crew members even teared up during some scenes. Now unless they're really emotional and sensitive, the acting is fine

12. RolandofGilead

RolandofGilead Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 17, 2001
    If only the Prequel actors could perform with the same depth and determination of the Classic Trilogy. :(

If only they were given equal material to work with. :_|

Oh wait, they were. [face_plain]

13. tuskenkiller

Jul 30, 2004
    i cant find webdoc number

all the new ones i see are video village and this weapon is your life.

14. NoCloneTheories

NoCloneTheories Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 22, 2003
    The acting in all of the films has been corny. I'm sure it will have the same tone. The difference is the story is darker so that would be nice, but if you are still convincing yourself that the prequels had wors e acting than the OT, there's probably nothing Episode III is going to change about it.

15. SatoriUuObo

SatoriUuObo Jedi Youngling

Jul 27, 2004
    The dialogue written in ATOC was the problem. I think the actors did the best they could with what they had which as most critics pointed out wasnt much.

16. DarthNomis

Aug 2, 2001
    If only the Prequel actors could perform with the same depth and determination of the Classic Trilogy.

Not all the acting in the OT is great. There are some scene with Mark Hamill in ANH that is downright horrible ("But I was going to Toshi station"..., "I care.", "...But I guess that what you're good at isn't it Han!")! We love it because it's classic Sws, but as acting in general.... it's pretty bad and just plain corny.

Even some of the lines delivered by Harrison Ford garners a giggle for the camp ("Not this ship, sister!" to Luke and "I bet you have!" to Greedo)

And the scene in ROTJ were Luke leaves to face Vader and Han comes out and have a little tiff with Liea and she spins around with that fake extension hair and then he apologizes and she saids: "Hold Me" is terrible!

Good for a laugh for the chesse, but terrible acting!

Actually if you look close enough, Harrison Ford and Carrie Fisher, is pretty much walking through ALL their scenes in ROTJ.

17. NoCloneTheories

NoCloneTheories Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 22, 2003
    Well what is true about the AOTC dialogue is it is over-earnest, on-the-nose, melodramatic and uncomfortable. What is not true about it is that it's a distinction which belonds to AOTC. Rose-colored glasses have made people believe that each line of the OT is crafted brilliance. It's crazy.

In each movie there are so many cheesy lines and dramatic line readings which are laughable the first time, but which are utterly appropriate as time wears on. Anakin's cheesy dialogue makes his character so much deeper to me than if he had pulled off being super cool and said genuinly romantic things and had avoided being awkward. I think of Anakin as sort of a Columbine kid, who reaches out for love and approval and it makes him feel so vulnerable that when he gets anything less than what he wanted, he becomes enraged and decides to play God.

Anakin needed the dialogue he had in AOTC, annd Im sure he will need the dialogue in Episode III (unless something goes really wrong). I think at the end of the day it's just going to be something people admit to themselves, or don't.

18. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    "Hold Me" is terrible God, that line DID suck! [face_laugh] Along with..."Then I'll see you in hell!" from Han...*cringe* or actually Fastforward....

19. obianikdart

obianikdart Jedi Master star 4

Dec 2, 2002
    The Emperor does not SSSHARE youre optimistic apraisel of this situation .

Look at the lines in AOTC ,and the lines of TPM , All movies have a different tone to it , You can Never say that its going to be the same thing, Never Ever .

20. SatoriUuObo

SatoriUuObo Jedi Youngling

Jul 27, 2004
    ATOC had some corny lines. The dialogue in the love scenes was real bad. People were laughing in the theaters while die hard fans started hiding in their seats. "I cant breath"...LOL.

21. The_Mole

The_Mole Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 23, 2004
    Ian is going to own this movie.

22. DarthNomis

Aug 2, 2001
    Actually the "I cant breath" line is FORESHADOWING to his transformation to Darth Vader and have to use a breathing apparatus to survive!

I thought that was a clever line of GL part!

I don't remember anyone laughing in the theatre, but I do remember the girl behind me telling her friend that Anakin had a bad case of the "Love Jones" for Padme.

23. royalguard96

royalguard96 Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 13, 2001
    ANH had corny lines.

ESB had corny lines.

ROJ had corny lines.

TPM had corny lines.

AOTC had corny lines.

Detect a pattern here? I thought the acting in all the films have been just fine. It will be no different in ROTS.

Oh, and I can see this thread going down the toilet quickly if certain people make their feelings known :p

24. sal

sal Jedi Master star 4

Jun 28, 2004
    I always thought the acting in ep.I was good, ep.II better then good almost great, and ep.III I expect to be amazingly awsome!!

25. BaronFel88

BaronFel88 Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 25, 2004
    But AotC's script was pretty mediocre, IMO. I really think the acting problems can be attributed to the directing and writing, we know the actors are fine outside SW.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.