main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Acting expectations for Revenge of the Sith.

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by tuskenkiller, Aug 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. royalguard96

royalguard96 Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 13, 2001
    If it wasn't for that hack Jonathan Hales, the AOTC script would have been SO much better ;)

2. LostJediKnight

LostJediKnight Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 4, 2002
    Are we voting? If so? I think Revenge of the Sith should have acting....

3. DarthNomis

DarthNomis Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 2, 2001
    we know the actors are fine outside SW.

Yeah, Mark Hamill and Carrie Fisher really racked up on Oscars and critical acclaim after the OTs. ;) [face_devil]

Actually, outside of Harrison Ford , no actor did good outside the OTs movies (Sir Alec Guiness, Peter Cushing and Billy Dee williams were already establishd actors with good work behind them before the OTs).

4. obianikdart

obianikdart Jedi Master star 4

Dec 2, 2002
    ROTS is going to have everything .
    As you can the Cg will with perfectly with movie meaning it wont stand out , Its the same movie , it wont look comicish , Its more adulty like , no more whining not , The perfect dark film , look at that craqzy beserk anakin picture .Does that look like AOTC to you .

5. BaronFel88

BaronFel88 Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 25, 2004
    But I was referring to the PT actors, namely hayden Christensen and Natalie Portman, the two biggest targets of criticism.

6. Razorback

Razorback Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 2, 2001
    Anyway... the acting in parts was bad and that is the only thing the bashers are holding onto. Most of the Christensen scenes are very good and even Portman has good scenes. However, people only concentrate on the scenes that they really disliked and then attached "crap" to every other scene, even if those scenes were fine.

Some people are just not sophisticated enough to take in the entirety of a performance... and are probably the same people who say DiCaprio is a horrible actor simply because they don't like him for being in Titanic.

RB

7. Blue_Jedi33

Blue_Jedi33 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 12, 2003
    Ian had the crews applauding for his acting during filming of ROTS, so we know his acting will be the best of the PT and OT. Oscar worthy, but I doubt he would ever win.

8. royalguard96

royalguard96 Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 13, 2001
    I thought Hayden's acting in AOTC was the second-best of the entire saga, after Harrison Ford in ESB.

I also believe Natalie was acting very much within her character in TPM and AOTC. She was supposed to be cool and aloof as a queen and then a senator. As her feelings for Anakin grew in AOTC, she warmed up through the end of the film. I expect that natural progression to continue in ROTS.

9. Darthette

Darthette Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 10, 2003
    I think everyone has done a really good job. I'm not going to say one was better than the other, because I'm not an expert.

There was one actor I really, really don't care for (and it's not Hayden). He'll be in ROTS, but it's not going to ruin the movie for me. I think everyone else is going to be just fine. :) I'm not worried at all.

But, unfortunately, there will be some people who like the movie a lot and they will be disappointed that they didn't love it, and then there will be those who love it and they will be disappointed that it didn't knock them out of their seats, and then there will be those who get knocked out of their seats but they will be disappointed that it didn't give them a heart attack. Some people are never satisfied.

I want the movie to be dramatic, entertaining, and I want it to complete the story. If all the actors do a great job, then so much the better. :)

10. tuskenkiller

tuskenkiller Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 30, 2004
    http://www.lanceandeskimo.com/chefelf/rnt_64reasons1-10.shtml

11. Wilhelm-Scream

Wilhelm-Scream Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 5, 2004
    I think the acting in the PT is aMAZING because,like Harrison said to George,"You can write that crap but you can't say it."
    They have to find a way to keep a straight face through crap like "Are you an Angel?" and the now famous "I hate sand" speech.
    Also,anyone complaining about the acting needs to remember Ewan,who should've gotten an Oscar for BEING the younger Obi Wan.

I don't think the problem with Anakin/Padme was a lack of chemistry,it was the awkwardly written "falling in love" scenes.
    In ROTS,NP will have way more to work with emotionally and HC won't have to hold back and be the dork(which was obviously George's direction if you watch HC in other films).All the other actors are not only good,they're superb.
    ROTS will vindicate.

12. Emperor's Prize

Emperor's Prize Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 1999
    Hayden's acting was very good in AOTC. Just think of the wide range of emotions he had to play.

When he was playing an annoying whiny little brat ... you believed it.
    When he was playing a man filled with rage at the death of his mother ... you believed it.
    When he was playing a man breaking down from the guilt of the slaughter of women and children ... you believed it.
    When he was playing an awkward guy stumbling over himself trying to impress a girl he's fantasized about for ten years ... you believed.
    When he was playing a guy who was finally comfortable enough to crack a joke and be charming ... you believed it.

There's no need to worry about Hayden's abilities. ;) Ian McDiarmid has already proven skillful at portraying the personas of both Palpatine and Sidious. And Ewan was particularly solid in AOTC. I expect we will see solid, if not award-winning, performances from all the major actors in the movie.

13. BaronFel88

BaronFel88 Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 25, 2004
    One of the problems with SW is that it has 'real' people with 'real' problems, but takes place a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away....

so some people can't accept that.

14. Vaders_leash

Vaders_leash Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 29, 2001
    I predict Ian to do the best, followed by Ewan, Yoda, Hayden, and Sam Jackson.

15. obianikdart

obianikdart Jedi Master star 4

Dec 2, 2002
    the acting is going to be superb and also oscar nominations will follow , "Oscar buzzz " One more thing ! GL is brilliant hes making The bad guy look like the hero of the movie so it will be all tragic ,The movie is truly dark ,GL is the genius only he made the ot before he made the beginning thats just brilliant. Hayden was made for this episode .

16. Go-Mer-Tonic

Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 22, 1999
    I think the performances will remain consitent with the rest of the episodes. Servicable throughout with notable instances of greatness.

17. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Hayden said that Lucas conceded to allowing more feedback from everyone, on this film as opposed to AOTC. Portman can act, so long as there is feedback like that. Same with everyone else. Not everyone wants to do the "faster, more intense" style. Others are content. It's what they're used to on the other films that they've done. Ewan's favorite part is when he can work with the actors directly, which is usually during the duels or fight scenes. Some are used to the blue/green screen work and others aren't.

18. Slamboni

Slamboni Jedi Youngling

Aug 3, 2004
    Yeah we don't go to star wars movies for shakespearean drama quality. anyone remember that one random dude in the hoth hangar? "two fighters against a star destroyer?" awful but whatever they blow up stuff right after so it's cool.

19. DarthNomis

DarthNomis Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 2, 2001
    I think the performances will remain consitent with the rest of the episodes. Servicable throughout with notable instances of greatness.

Very well said, Go-Mer-Tonic . My sentiments exactly about the acting is a SWs movie.

20. Razorback

Razorback Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 2, 2001

You are probably closer to the reality of what we can expect than some people.

RB

21. That_Wascally_Droid

That_Wascally_Droid Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 29, 2001
    I think blaming any 'bad acting' on bluescreen is a bad call. Most of these people have theatre work behind them. A ton of theatre deals with minimal sets, and you have that 'fourth wall' that you yourself have to put up because the audience is right there (I've done acting so I know this personally).
    Same with shooting on film. You only have about three walls because the crew and cameras and right there as well (look at any knollvision).
    As for having to interact with nothing there, actors do that all the time. In shots where you only see one of the actors, most of the time the person they're supposedly talking to is in their trailer relaxing. Same with shots where you only see over their shoulder or their hands or something.
    What I'm getting at here, is acting without sets or without the person there shouldn't be a cripling factor for the performances.
    They may not like having to interact with nothing there for half a shoot (like Ewan), but it won't cripple his performance.
    If ya don't like the acting, look somewhere past the bluescreen for the fault ;)

22. r8hitman

r8hitman Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 30, 2004
    Ian McDiarmid has been the best and will continue to be the best in 3.

He actually has people thinking Sidious and Palpatine are two different people.

23. LightBird51

LightBird51 Jedi Youngling star 2

May 19, 2002
    There's a cetain actor I can't stand the looks of, so no matter what he does I think it's bad. I think sometimes people are biased due to one thing or another and it influences their decisions about who they think is good or bad. If they've seen someone be consistantly good in something and then see a poor performance they sometimes fail to see it. It's the same the other way around. I'm no expert on good or bad acting, and I think it's the same for a lot of people. Some people wouldn't know good acting if it came barreling around a corner and ran over them.

24. forever_jedi

forever_jedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 5, 2002
    I predict Ian to do the best, followed by Ewan, Yoda, Hayden, and Sam Jackson.

I am seriously looking forward to Yoda's acting. The little pieces that we have seen so far of him, are awesome! This is the film in which he is at his most emotional and they will get it right! And didn't Coleman say the same thing?

For me, the weak link in AotC was Portman with her "heart-is-not-in-it" performance. But she has a much smaller and more emotional role - so it'll be fine. Interestingly, during last year's reshoots, GL was taking multiple takes (4/5) of the Anakin/Padme scenes! So he WAS trying to get the best out of them!

25. ogilbyb

ogilbyb Jedi Padawan star 4

May 16, 2003
    Because this will be the darkest movie of the PT expect a more mature Anakin (he will be 3 years of battle older anyway and nearly Vader) and better acting all around due to emotional depth and intensity. With luck it will be as good as the acting in LOTR films.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.