Acting expectations for Revenge of the Sith.

Discussion in 'Revenge of the Sith' started by tuskenkiller, Aug 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. are_two_2 Jedi Padawan

"I wonder how they took this. It is funny --I always thought Portman was great in TPM as the queen, but weaker as Padme. I suppose she has a harder time with that specific role. But, when your director has to hire an acting coach to teach you, it is almost as if he is covertly implying "you suck at acting". However I am glad that he did it. Lucas wants to make a good movie, and he is sparing no expense. Even though I dont always agree with everything the guy does with my favorite film series of all time, I am rooting for him all the way."

Lucas should hire a script writing coach instead of acting coaches for his actors. Also, he needs to brush up on his directing skills. I am not trying to bash Lucas, but he should take some notes from PJ or The Wachowski brothers. He needs to realize that 1. this isn't the late 70's early 80's and sci-fi fans expect more these days, and 2. the serial film theme of the 30's and 40's are fun but can only be taken so far.

When an actor has a so so script to work with, wooden dialog to read, and a director who may not fully allow them to make the characters their own as actors, you have TPM and ROTS. Sorry that's just how I feel. Ewan and Ian owned in both of them, but everyone else wasn't up to their full potential and I really feel that it was due to the script, dialog and directing.
  2. madbushido Jedi Knight

star 1
    as others have pointed out, it's not the bad acting that we are seeing in the PT and occasionally in the OT.

it's all GL. the script itslef and be horrid (lines pointed out above), and you can have denzel washington acting the lines and they would still sound corny.

i don't think ROTS will be any different. there WILL be lines that will make us cringe, like nails on chalkboard.
    but they will of course be overshadowed by the immense entertainment that the movie as a whole will provide.

it's like clockwork with SW.
  3. _Sublime_Skywalker_ Force Ghost

star 4
    I think the PT acting was fine,Keep in mind its alot harder to act when your placed infront of a screen and told its 'Coruscants nightlife'

TPM Was a little corny,but it was supposed to be like that,AOTC Was ,IMO,a very good film,it shows the perfect amount of foreshadowing and How anakins love for Padme makes him act different,even dangerous. ROTS acting will probably be the best,now Anakin will only talk to Padme with a corny line once apparently,and there is so much more action and emotion that it is balanced. TPM Had to much action,not enough emotion, AOTC Had too much emotion,not enough action. ROTS will balance it.
  4. femme01 Jedi Master

star 4
    Hayden plays the bad guy well. Very well. :p
  5. chosenone68 Jedi Knight

star 3
    Hayden Christensen will suck like the whiny little wimp he is.

Natalie Portman will once again give a wooden manniqun perfomance

it's all GL. the script itslef and be horrid (lines pointed out above), and you can have denzel washington acting the lines and they would still sound corny.

With fans like that, who needs critics?
  6. Maleficentogre Jedi Knight

star 3
    I think that the acting so far has been amazing. GL's new scripts suck donkey genetalia. He managed to make samuel L jackson not cool. that's damn near imposible. Mace should be the baddest dude on the planet just by virtue of actor. Hayden, who I'm convinced can act very well, has been doing the best he can with the horrible dialoge laid out for him. If the script for this movie is readable and actable, then we'll see some awesome preformances.
  7. TheSithLordMaul Jedi Knight

acting is fine.

gl is what worries me.

he's more obsessed with making eyecandy that he forgets what made OT so special, the characters, dialogue, and story telling.

IMHO, he's mishandled anakin/padme's love relationship. I still can't believe the revered Anakin acts like a spoiled brat. I mean the guy is just a punk.

ANd the dialogue was too corny in the PT. There just wasnt well-written dialogue.

And the story was too compressed. I honestly think episode 2 could have been episode 1. Episode 2 could have been dedicated solely to the Clone Wars.

Oh well. Lucas can't really screw up Episode 3 cuz it's the best of them all hands down. I really hope GL was just making Ep1 and 2 crap so he can redeem himself from the dark side by making ep 3 wet the pants of the old school SW fans.

only then, will he forgiven...
  8. Mos_Eisley Jedi Knight

star 3
    The acting expectations are definitely the highest for this film, whether you're talking about the PT or OT given the content of the film.

This is somewhat similar to the thread on the dialogue coach that was hired to assist in ensuring that the quality will be top-notch.

I think the actors will shine in ROTS, including Natalie Portman.

9. Import_Jedi Chosen One

star 6
    Not to sound too presumptious, but I foresee this thread going towards the Basher side of the dorks. ;)
  10. Darth_Malt Jedi Master

star 4
    Ewan will be great
    Ian will of course be fantastic
    Hayden will be awesome
    Frank Oz will deliver
    Bruce Spence knows what he's doing
    Jimmy Smits is a good actor
    Chewbacca will be good

I'm not worried about the movie that much. Natalie and some side-characters may be the ones to bring the movie down. Captain Typho in the last movie was just plain awful.

The scene where the ship explodes at the beginning of AOTC is THE WORST acted scene in the history of Star Wars. No emotion, no character, just read lines.
  11. JediPrettyBoy Jedi Master

star 4
    Fortunately, Lucas gave up some of his sovereignty by hiring a dialogue coach (Chris Neil) who has a pretty nice looking resume even though he is younger that most of the Star Wars staff veterans.

It wouldn't hurt to have a little "new blood" in the mix since Lucas and his crew were almost rookies themselves when they made Episode IV in the 70s.

They brought new and creative ideas to the industry in their day so they probably need a little inspiration from someone younger in order improve the performances in this movie.
  12. Doctor_SuperJedi Jedi Master

star 2
    I think it's GL's writing work that sums up why people had so much trouble with the PT.

Storywise, it's just as simple and dumb as the OT was. I never had a problem with it. People overanalyzed the midi-chlorians to death in TPM (but wholeheartedly accept lightsabers), and some people didn't like the fact that Anakin was alot like Luke at the age of 18 or 20 -- a whiny brat. But overall, I thought the basic story was solid.

It's the details... the dialogue that just plain sucks. I mean, I know Star Wars isn't a drama, but man! That dialogue is putrid sometimes, sorry to say.

I agree with another poster that said Harrison Ford's resistance to GL's writing is a primary saving grace in the OT. The OT is still infested with corny stuff and terrible concepts, but Han Solo, though still a very corny character, did have a handful of saving graces in ESB. Although, watch ROTJ and you'd swear both Fisher and Ford have no desire to be in the film.

If GL had taken a backseat in AOTC, I think it would have been great. If he'd not wasted too much time on some things in TPM, it would have been great. I wouldn't have added anything to those two films. The basic story was awesome. It's just that his directing was kind of off. And the editing reflects this bad direction. Sometimes the story just seems to lull for 30 minutes in a space we don't care about, then we jump into the action, which is what we were looking for. But I'll admit that I like Star Wars so much that I can be overly critical.

Lucas is an awesome action and effects person. He's also awesome at portraying straight, good versus evil scenes. Emperor Palpatine is the greatest character that he ever created. Ever. The corny dialogue he writes up for him is just perfection. When Lucas does the confrontations between the Dark Side and the Light Side, he NEVER messes up. Forget whether or not you particularly like the lightsaber action. The dialogue has always been good.

ROTJ is my favorie movie not because of all the kiddie crap in the middle of it (Ewoks beating the Empire leaves a foul taste in my mouth every time... I hated Ewoks even when I was just 7 years old), but the DSII Vader, Luke, Palpidious scenes. Lucas' dialogue (if he truly wrote that stuff) was dead-on. Even Luke Skywalker wasn't corny anymore.

But whenver Lucas does something peripheral to a storyline, he's very shaky.
  13. forever_jedi Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    People go on and on and on about GL's lines. This is the same man who gave us ANH and ITS lines. But the actors in ANH, even if they were not always the greatest, acted as if they believed in what they were doing. They became the characters they portrayed. And so we believed.

IMHO, a few of the actors in the PT so far feel as if they are just doing a job, reading their lines and would rather be someplace else. People complain about Jake Lloyd; I don't, because at least he was believable as a 9-year-old excited little boy.

In any case, an acting and dialogue coach in RotS is great news. And from all accounts, Ewan, Hayden, Ian and Yoda have done truly wonderful work. I'm sure Smits and SLJ, being the professional people they are, will be quite okay too!
  14. jedisooner1 Jedi Master

star 2
    Hayden-Improved from AOTC. You could start to believe his character more. =D=
    Natalie-eh[face_plain]
    Sam Jackson-Getting worse.[face_laugh]
    Ewan-Outstanding. Watching the OT really connects the two actors.:D
    Ian-Wonderful. He is an evil man/sith/alien. [face_devil]

Overall the acting is better than EP I and II. Alot of people ripped the acting in this thread and had low expectations.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.