main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Acting: non-fatal shot by blaster?

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by Ridley Solo, Nov 6, 2011.

1. Ridley Solo

Ridley Solo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 27, 2010
    Hello. Another question for my fanfilm.

One of the main characters is shot in the arm by a blaster. I'm wondering how to direct/act this scene. Obviously a blaster wound would hurt, but it's a little different than a gunshot wound. Unfortunately there's not a lot of references about how to act being shot. :( I want it to be realistic, so no flying backwards Hollywood-style. (and yes there will be a crash mat involved) Should the actor yell? Scream? Say 'ouch'? Double over and crumple to the ground?

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks! :)

2. ElectroFilms

ElectroFilms Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 13, 2007
    How would you react to a 4th degree radiation burn?
    That's actually only tricky because some say it's painless, just because your nerves can't take the immense pain.
    I believe that there is some sort of momentum/energy behind the blaster shot, not just like light. It's enough force to knock a droid over and they cannot feel pain.

3. Teague

Teague Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 9, 2006
    Hee hee hee.

I'd just have them go "ow!" Leia gets shot by a blaster in ROTJ, doesn't she? Outside the bunker?

4. VaporTrail

VaporTrail Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 19, 2002
    Leia's is probably the way to go here. I imagine the subject would be thrown back a little bit the same way one would be if they're shot with a bullet. This also makes me think of when Dooku nicks Obi-Wan, the way his arm went flying back. Part of that might've been him jerking away like you would if you touched a hot stove, but maybe it's from the force of a hole being cut out of his arm by this energy weapon.

The blasters tend to cause little explosions on contact, so treating it like being shot (and there's plenty of ways to do this, just watch any gun-toting action movie for reference) would work fine. After that, you'd probably treat it like it was a really bad burn rather than the bleeding hole that a bullet would cause.

5. Ridley Solo

Ridley Solo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 27, 2010
    Oh, yeah. I can't beleive I forgot about Leia getting shot. :oops:

Thanks for the advice, guys! Great suggestions! [face_peace]

6. Zurita-Films

Zurita-Films Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 26, 2006
    Yeah, I'd go the burn wound route. THink up words and imagery that you associate with the feeling of a burn to give your actor. Immediately coming to mind, I think sting, an Indian burn type feeling, buzz pain, etc.