main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Active or passive sport

Discussion in 'Archive: The Arena' started by Skiara , Jan 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Skiara

Skiara ~• RSA FFC •~ star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 5, 2002
    Do you think anyone is missing much if they aren't a fan of a certain person or team? Is this the basis of sport?

Or do you think that anyone is missing more if they just love to watch "their" team or person playing and don't do any sports?

To what kind of person do you belong? What kind of sport do you enjoy watching and which can't you stand watching it?

2. darth_frared

darth_frared Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 24, 2005
    i kind of think that not being a fan of a team takes away the excitement. it's like you aren't invested in the match, it's just this thing happening on the screen. and what good is watching without being involved in the action?

3. PrincessChattyCathy

PrincessChattyCathy Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 11, 2005
    I enjoy playing sports and there are some sports such as tennis that I enjoy playing but not watching. I don't think it is necessary to have a favorite team or player however I think having one helps you get more involved in the game. I grew up in a small town where football was the main event on Friday nights. I learned a lot about the game from going to these games and watching my classmates play. I have continued to love watching football live or on tv. Even if my favorite team isn't playing I will pick someone to cheer for as it helps me enjoy the game more.
    When the team you identify with wins a tough game there is nothing quite like the feeling. My college team won the Fiesta Bowl last night and I cried I was so happy.

4. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    I could care less about any NFL team but I still watch and enjoy the games. I think you can enjoy a sport without being personally invested in the outcome, but it does of course mean more when you care about teams in it. For example, I would never turn on the clock radio displays at work to listen to an NFL game, but when the Crows are playing...

5. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
    It's fairly easy for me to root for or against a team I'm indifferent to, because there is always a player/s that I either like or dislike on the team I'm watching play.

6. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    In my view you don't have to be a fan of a team to enjoy sports on TV. It's like watching a movie - either you enjoy it or not.

I'm not a fan of any team (beside of the German football team last summer ;) ) and I don't watch much sports on TV. But sometimes I do and then I enjoy their high level and admire them a bit for being able to do it at that high level.

Are you all speaking just about one kind of sport or in general?

7. darth_frared

Jun 24, 2005
    well, i can't speak for much except for soccer ;) i just cannot get worked up about other things.

8. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    (American) Football: I can't play football, although I do enjoy throwing the ball around with friends. Still, I love watching college football, though not the NFL.

Basketball: I love playing basketball and I love watching it. End up trying to compare my style with different players (though obviously I'm nowhere even remotely as good as any college players).

Baseball: Cannot play, period. I remember way back in elementary school we played some in PE, I think I got one hit in all the times we played, and struck out almost every time, and I wasn't a particularly good fielder or anything either. Didn't use to enjoy watching it, either, but thats changed and now I watch a good bit, and try to go to the USC games when I can too.

Ultimate Frisbee: Love playing, but wouldn't be worth watching. Unless the teams were really, really good (i.e., a frisbee national championship would probably be worth watching, and would be better than a lot of stuff that is on ESPN...)

So basically I would say that playing a sport is not required to enjoy watching it or cheering for teams in it, but could enhance the experience (as with basketball for me)

9. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    I find it difficult to watch any sporting event if I'm not rooting for one team or another. I have favorite temas for most major sports and generally only follow them. Hockey is the exception for me. I can enjoy a game even if I'm not rooting for either team.

10. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    Reading this again, I have a different take that I originally interpreted it.

Most of the games I plan on watching involve a team or player I want to see (generally, team, unless its the NBA). However, if the teams are good, I can enjoy watching anyone. I may still pull for one team or the other, depending on the circumstances, or not, and just enjoy the sport.

11. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    lol That's what I do (with my favorite sports) sometimes as well or looking for little hints to get better. Or to read their strategy in advance. ;)

Interesting theory about getting more involved if you do the sports you watch on TV yourself. That might be. If I look at the sport I enjoy watching the most, they are mostly sports that I do or could do if I would like to. Or it is a weird, new looking sport that get my interest.

Btw have you ever watched those competitions of normal people who have to do various kinds of sports (or survival trainings) to win money/car/anything? What do you think about them? Do you get involved in those competitions as well? Do you get the wish to do such a competition as well?

12. darth_frared

Jun 24, 2005
    i certainly wouldn't wreck my body/health for money. i'd wreck it for wrecking it :p

i kinda go with watching sports that you would either like to do or are doing already because then you can appreciate the work that goes into doing a certain thing. i do appreciate athletics that way because you know how much time these guys spend at their training for running so quickly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.