Active Topic Notification: Is it the JC or my comp that's screwing up?

Discussion in 'Communications' started by _Tenel_Ka_, Oct 27, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: JoinTheSchwarz, LAJ_FETT, Ramza
  1. _Tenel_Ka_ Jedi Master

star 4
    I was mildly worried when I would never get the active topic notification when I requested it. It would be nice, but no big deal.

Then one time I forgot my password and I constantly requested it too be sent to me but nothing ever came. Eventually I just found the password, but what if I lose it and forget it again?

And then I tried to make a sock and never got the password for that account. Then I just made a whole new email address and tried that, but it didn't work either.

So what do you think is wrong? My computer, hotmail, or the boards?
  2. dArTh_wenley Jedi Grand Master

star 5

Hotmail and the SC do not go well together... Have you tried looking in the Junk Mail section?

Then one time I forgot my password and I constantly requested it too be sent to me but nothing ever came. Eventually I just found the password, but what if I lose it and forget it again?

If you forget your password you can always PM a mod or send an email to jc-admins@theforce.net I should imagine! :)
  3. Darth Dark Helmet Manager Emeritus

star 6
    If you forget your password you can always PM a mod

To get specific, PM an Admin, mods and managers don't have the ability to find out passwords, Admins do. :)
  4. Loki_Scythewielder Jedi Knight

star 1
    whew, thought you were talking about this, the fact taht all the alerts now call themselves "Sith Council".

when in doubt, PM an administrator.
  5. Kadue Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Yes, we seem to have problems with Hotmail and the JC.

One thing that can help is to go into your "Options" tab in your Hotmail account, click on the "Filters" link, and then establish a filter with your own e-mail address, and have everything with that sent to your inbox, or another folder.

But if you are having trouble with getting the password for a sock, just PM one of the admins (which for this week, includes me) and we'll grab the password for you.
  6. _Tenel_Ka_ Jedi Master

star 4
    Actually, what might work is putting the SC boards on my "safe list".

It's "boards@theforce.net" right?
  7. Valiowk Force Ghost

star 6
    The problem might actually not lie with the safe list, but that the mails just refuse to arrive. It seems to me that there are some users who don't set any filters and still get the same problem occurring.
  8. _Tenel_Ka_ Jedi Master

star 4
    I don't have any filters on, but apparently hotmail has a default filter that shuts out anything that it considers "obvious junk mail".
  9. Kadue Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Yes, sometimes the server won't send out any mail. We have no idea as to why this is, and we can't control it anyway.

Tenel, it's not "boards@theforcenet", it's your own address. So for me, the filter I have uses the address "kadue@hotmail.com". The boards send you the e-mail with your own address.
  10. Valiowk Force Ghost

star 6
    Now that you mention it, Kadue, I really cannot see why Hotmail would filter mail that supposedly comes from yourself...
  11. Kadue Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Actually Val, just like we can, other places can send mail so that it comes up with your own address, and thus get past spam filters that way. I can't remember what the latest criteria are for Hotmail's spam filter, but I just find that creating a filter is the easiest thing.
  12. Whimper Jedi Master

star 4
    Well, it seems to be that the server isn't sending out its mail right now. I have no filters or junk mail setting enabled on my new hotmail account, and yet I'm not receiving a single message when I tried to register my Halloween sock.

Kadue, I'm PMing you now for further instructions.
  13. Valiowk Force Ghost

star 6
    Kadue, yes I know that other servers can do that. I've received mail from supposedly "myself" in the past that of course I never sent myself. The only reason why I don't set up that kind of filter is because I sometimes send mail to myself instead of saving it as a draft.
Moderators: JoinTheSchwarz, LAJ_FETT, Ramza
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.