main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Actor Robin Williams dead, possible suicide

Discussion in 'Community' started by dp4m, Aug 11, 2014.

1. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Also a very brave thing to do. When my therapist went out on maternity, I never sought out another one, and ended up never going back, didn't think I would be able to replicate the bond and/or was scared of opening up to someone different. I should have, and still should.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  2. Obi-Zahn Kenobi

Obi-Zahn Kenobi Force Ghost star 7

Aug 23, 1999
  3. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    But it woulda been hella awesome! He dresses up as Mrs Doubtfire again to be the nanny for his grandkids!

4. Obi-Zahn Kenobi

Obi-Zahn Kenobi Force Ghost star 7

Aug 23, 1999
    You basically might as well have just killed him again with that post.

Ender Sai likes this.
  5. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    Yeah, a friend of mine apparently tried to commit suicide by sleeping pills the day before Robin Williams's death. She's hospitalized, and then Williams hangs himself and he's one of her favorite actors, so I'm super worried for when she's released.

6. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Best thing I can say for you to do is to keep in constant contact with her. A simple phone call can do wonders. I've kept in constant contact with a friend who has also experienced depression but is better now. She has me give her three things that make me happy per day.

7. SithSense

SithSense Force Ghost star 4

Sep 29, 2002
    is anyone else really, really disturbed by the amount of information released regarding mr. williams' death? just today at work, i was caught off guard by a couple of coworkers who were trading details as if they were the standard 'who's-dating-who' water-cooler gossip. why would anyone release this information?
    nobody outside of the family needs to know!

8. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Yeah.... that amount of detail is in poor taste. I think releasing that much information is incredibly disrespectful to both Williams and those close to him.

9. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000

For the people who may have rolled their eyes because, well, it's Juliet posting Doctor Who stuff, I just have to say... this may be the exception that proves the rule.

Vincent and the Doctor is a terribly beautiful story about Vincent Van Gogh -- his unparalleled genius, his singular unique vision, the gifts he gave to the world. But also the true nature of depression: it's a horrible disease which does not discriminate based on how talented, successful, or appreciated you are or aren't. There may not have been anything anyone could have done to help. We'll never know. But we do know depression also can't destroy the wonderful things an artist creates and shares with the world. Those endure and can bring new joy, entertainment, life, and reflection to people for years, generations. By all accounts, Robin Williams was a bonafide genius in his art, and I feel all these things could be said of him as well.

So though this sounds crazy, that episode is genuinely one of the most moving and thoughtful examinations of depression and artistry I've ever seen. I think this once it's quite fitting, Juliet. Thanks for reminding me of it.

10. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    Your welcome.

11. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Did Williams get royalties from Disney for the Genie?

12. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    I think that may have been one of the disputes that lead to him not coming back as Genie in 'Return of Jafar."

13. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    *You're

14. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    Really Timmo? I realize this is an obscure message board and this thread really doesn't amount to anything in the grand scheme of the universe and Robin Williams' existence, but correcting someone's ****ing grammar? gtfo of here you ****ing ****.

15. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Saw Olbermann and caught the NY Daily News cover. **** the NY Daily News.

Darth Tunes likes this.
  16. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002

The very first thing the family asked for was privacy. It just shows that when it comes to the media, they have no honor or integrity at all. It's absolutely disgusting.

17. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    I'm also a bit worried that the excess of information could trigger other suicides. I don't think suicide should be treated like a shameful secret or covered up by the media, but at the same time, too much publicity of methods and specifics doesn't have a good effect on anyone in the reading public who may also feel suicidal.

18. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    He also was from a different time where depression was considered a taboo topic.

Juliet316 likes this.
  19. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    Yeah, I just read a story on that cover. Smh

Stay classy, 'Murkan media. Stay classy. [face_plain]

20. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    man. i've been away from the internet and civilization for a few days. i got one text about this but i totally just chalked it up as a hoax. this is really shocking. i know popeye was never loved by critics, but it's one of my most beloved childhood films. i guess his depression was pretty common knowledge but i had no idea he was so tortured. so sad.

reading this thread my thoughts go out to anyone dealing with depression. stay strong, don't be afraid to get help if you need it.

21. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

And it was ultimately worked out which is why he did "40 Thieves" and then "Robots" later on.

22. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
  23. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    Is it ironic that coming soon is reporting this? Perhaps coincedence.

24. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Westboro Baptist Church are going to protest the funeral and any memorial service. Either because he dressed up as a woman and played a gay man, or because they’re a bunch of **** sucking **** knockers, with a ****** **** so short collectively, their mothers barely feel it when they **** her up the ****.

25. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    Meh....the Pope could die today and they would probably protest his funeral.