main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Actor Robin Williams dead, possible suicide

Discussion in 'Community' started by dp4m, Aug 11, 2014.

1. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    He was. We were talking to Ghost though.

2. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
  3. Juliet316

Juliet316 37X Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    A couple of days late on that timmo.

4. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Conan's tribute to Robin Williams:

And a look at Williams' visits to US Troops:

VadersLaMent likes this.
  5. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  6. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    I honestly could cry. Robin Williams was my childhood!

7. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    A newspaper uncovered one of his last acts of kindness - sent a video message of encouragement to a terminally ill mother in New Zealand. Now, many others are coming out to tell their stories of RW visiting hospitals, chartering planes to meet very sick children across the world, etc.

Very few people knew about this stuff, or his work with the USO, because there was no concern for publicity - he did it for the right reasons. That's special.

I don't know why it plays twice.

8. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    There's been a lot of videos playing twice on YouTube these days. Not exactly sure why.

9. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
  10. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Letterman gave an extra special tribute last night - he and RW were friends for 38 years. I like the line he gave about watching Williams in a comedy club for the first time - "(Dave and his friends) were like a morning dew, and this guy was like a hurricane!"

RW also gave Dave his first big-time gig, as a guest spot on Mork and Mindy. RW was on The Late Show 50 times.

11. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Billy Crystal will do a special tribute to Robin at Monday's Emmy award ceremonies.

12. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
  13. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003

Here's the segment from the Emmy's. That last part, from his standup routine about his son - waterworks.

Juliet316 likes this.
  14. Eternity85

Eternity85 Jedi Master star 3

Jan 24, 2008
    @};-

Robin Williams brought joy and laughter to so many people.

His contributions (Comic relief, AKA medicine) made this world a better place, no matter how insignificant the impact of one persons actions might seem to be on the larger scale, it is still significant. Because you only need to make one person happy, then you have already brought something beautiful into the world. Robin Williams did a better job than most of us. He deserved a better fate than this.

15. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    His manic comedy persona must have been exhausting for him, the kind of thing nearly impossible for a post-middle age man to sustain. His effort to transition into more sedate dramatic roles was praiseworthy but not very successful, even though he clearly had the talent for it. Because no one wanted to see him act his age and exercise his broader talents, he ended up on that horrible one-season show trying to launch an old man version of his young manic tv comedy persona. But no one wanted to see that either. Watching an old man trying to reclaim a younger version of himself is pathetic. It had to have been hard for him to accept that audiences weren't very interested in the product he was able to provide.

And so his audience abandoned him. Obviously he did some really bad stuff too and that didn't help any.

16. poor yorick

poor yorick Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jun 25, 2002
    Why do you say that? The guy's got a 14 page personal memorial thread full of YouTube tributes. If his audience had abandoned him, I'd have expected him to get a Juliet one-liner in the Celebrity Dead Pool thread.

17. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Thanks Ophelia. I think.:p

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  18. poor yorick

poor yorick Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jun 25, 2002
    de nada. :p

19. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    Because no one paid to see or watched anything he was doing? It's easy to post-mortem worship someone, even pedophiles like Michael Jackson, apparently.

CT-867-5309 likes this.
  20. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    He wouldn't have still been in the news, nor would people have been concerned that he'd checked into rehab a month before his death if nobody was paying attention to him.

21. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    anyway, fading from the spotlight in your sixties is totally common and perfectly fine. i don't think it's really relevant here.

Ender Sai likes this.
  22. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    Before that though was a decade and a half of commercial flops.

Doesn't anyone else think that fake-mourning celebrities is creepy? If you didn't personally know him, then you're not really grieving. Billy Crystal has the right to do a tearful tribute, sure, but not any of us.

CT-867-5309 likes this.
  23. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i mean i guess that's mostly true, but it's another late career trend that is far from unique to williams. i guess your cynicism compels you to tie it to his suicide? i find it a bit crass.

it can be taken to creepy levels. but i think if someone's work had an effect on your life, it's okay to feel something and to express that when they die.

24. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  25. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    Is Phil Collins dead?