main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Actual Jedi Experience?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by NeoStar9, Nov 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NeoStar9

NeoStar9 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2002
    I wonder how much expereince these knew batch of Jedi have? Fighting against Vong, stormtroppers, pirates is one thing. Fighting against another Jedi, Dark Jedi, or Sith Lord would be completely something else I'd imagine.

Which brings me to an interesting thought, isn't Kyle like the only one that matches Luke when it comes to Jedi experience? That experience being fighting another force user seriously? Seems like they are of the few that have actually faced off with either Sith and powerful Dark Jedi.

Would say the only ones that has done anything similar(fighting force with force against something as powerful as a Sith Lord/Dark Jedi) would be, the first batch of students Luke taught-minus Mara(she wasn't there in the end and never finished her training, not until years later) but they were never in any lightsaber battles.

The only person I beleive that comes even close to Luke and Kyle would be Leia since she fought Luke in Dark Empire and with Luke and unborn Anakin, took on Palp-clone version. Then she did take one that one dark jedi kid in CoTJ. Don't think any of the other currently list Masters have that kind of experience. Maybe Kyp as well due to the whole Kun event.

I wonder. Which students, knights, and masters were at the Academy when the Reborn Dark Jedi attacked in Jedi Outcast? I know Kyle was there taking on Desann, as was Luke(I think he was just all over the place doing things, been a while since I played) but the other Jedi fighting and the ones you save aren't named.

2. Pellaeon-Firke

Pellaeon-Firke Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 2, 2004
    Experienced NJO Jedi (as in, at least a fight or two):

Luke
    Kyle
    Jaden
    Rosh
    (assumption) those active at the time of JO and JA
    Corran (Jensaarai)
    Twins (YJK)
    Kam (hunting Jedi down while Dark)
    Leia (Sids, Beldorian)

3. Bartichelli

Bartichelli Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 10, 2002
    Mara and Tahiri against Lord Nyax. IIRC.

4. StarWarsIsMyLife

StarWarsIsMyLife Jedi Master star 2

Jul 14, 2004
    Well, all Jedi in the post RotJ era all have lots of experience, since actual experience is the only way they can train Jedi in that particular era.

5. NeoStar9

Mar 12, 2002
    I'm refering to force user vs. force user experience. Simple training is good but you really get pushed to your limits when you are in a life or death situation which causes you really think under pressure and out of the box.

6. Eyrezer

Eyrezer Jedi Master star 3

Aug 4, 2002
    You can add in all the Jedi from the YJK era from when the Shadow Academy attacked. Especially Zekk from his time fighting for the Imperium.

7. SaeseeJim

SaeseeJim Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 21, 2003
    what does YJK stand for?

Also, if I was a Jedi I would rather fight against the Sith than the Vong. Because at least with the Sith you can sense the force in them.

8. SlackJawedJedi

SlackJawedJedi Jedi Padawan star 4

May 28, 2004
    Honestly, though, how experienced were the prequel era at fighting Dark Jedi? Wasn't the whole reason that Dooku owned Obi and Anikan so badly was that he knew how to fight agaisnt other swordsmen, and they didn't? Eh...

In any case, that Jedi girl from Emmisaries of the Void took on a Dark Jedi. So she gets some points.

I'd imagine that a lot of the newbies took on Reborn, Shadow Troopers and Sith Cultists, who may not be as nasty as proper Dark Jedi, but are close enough.

Oh yeah, and Jacen took down Onimi, which may not have been a duel in the traditional sense, but still counts.

9. NeoStar9

Mar 12, 2002
    YJK stands for Young Jedi Knight. A series of novels(short ones) that focus on Jacen, Jaina and their friends(like Lowie)and their time at the Jedi Academy. Its where their characterizations started and why there were complaints(lots of them) when the New Jedi Order came about cause it was like those books were just plain ignored.

The JJK - Junior Jedi Knight series was focused on Anakin and his friends during some of their time at the Jedi Academy.

10. NJOfan215

NJOfan215 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 17, 2003
    Here is the real thing of it, the prequil era jedi were taught a lot of skills, but rarely put them into practice. Jedi in those days were taught to duel, but they rarely had to. There were only 2 sith at a time, and they were reluctant to come out of the shadows. There also were not a lot of dark jedi. It also doesn't seem like they were many non jedi who could duel with them during that time. I would think that the jedi of that era would learn some dueling techniques, but that there training would be geared more toward fighting people or droids with blasters.
    During the clone wars it became more frequnet to have to deul, since there were more dark jedi, GG and GG's body guards.

I think the NJO jedi have a lot more practical fighting experiance, then the prequil jedi did. The one thing that i feel the prequil jedi have over the njo jedi is the knowledge of the force. I think dooku could kill most of the njo jedi just by using the force, like he tried to do with yoda. Another big difference between the two groups is that the NJO jedi seem to ephisise piloting skills. Most of the NJO jedi are awesome fighter pilots.

11. BIG_BAD_JEDI_MAN

BIG_BAD_JEDI_MAN Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 9, 2002
    Pretty much all of the Jedi, except for the younger ones, have at least a little experience against Dark Jedi, as we are to assume that most or all of them were present during the Shadow Academy invasion. Granted, those weren't full fledged Dark Jedi, but it still works.
    But in terms of one and one battles with Dark Jedi/Sith:
    Luke vs. pretty much everyone
    Leia (can't remember exactly who, but I know it's there)
    Kyp, Streen, Kam, Kirana Tee, and the other JA heroes vs. Exar Kun
    Mara vs. Luuke, C'baoth, Nyax
    Tahiri vs. Nyax
    Jacen vs. Omni (debatable)
    Corran (again, can't remember, but I'm pretty sure he did at some point)
    Jaina vs. Zekk

I'm sure there's others, but those are the ones I remember.

12. 7-7-7

7-7-7 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 15, 2002
    The NJO is far superior to the Prequel Jedi both in terms of actual fighting experience and in terms of knowledge of the Force.

On the most basic level, the prequel Jedi almost never engaged in any real fighting until the clone wars (and that bried Stark Hyperspace War, which wasn't all that Jedi-heavy anyway) They never battled Sith or Dark Jedi, didn't have hordes of darksiders to mow down, and also lacked the elementary combat skills involved in piloting, blaster-shooting, battlefield ettequite, etc.

The OJO Jedi also stifled the training of their own students. They withheld libraries of information, held back their more advanced students, and didn't teach even the most fundamental skills to what would be considered an lower-than-acceptable level by Luke's academy. Take Dooku for example. Clearly one of the most powerful duelists and Force-users of his time, and he was showing signs of wear when fighting against a wino and petulant kid. His most awesome displays of Force-mastery involved shooting a few sparks from his fingertips, and with an incredible amount of effort an focus, pull a few rocks and pipes down from the ceiling of a hangar. Even the apprentices of the NJO were seen winning in saber battles against scores of Vong warriors trained to fight from birth, levetated Star Destroyers, and telekinetically moved black holes and floatillas of ships while micromanaging an aerial dogfight. Shooting Force-lightening is practically a prerequisite for becoming a Jedi Knight in the NJO, while the OJO would shy away in fear from anyone displaying a hint of that power. Also, Luke never held his students back, he sent his followers off to seek out information and tools of training which were hidden, ignored, lost, or removed by the OJO, providing his students with a vast base of practical and advanced knowledge not even looked at by the masters of the old order.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.