main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Actual Physics equations in Star Wars!

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Carnage04, Jun 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Amon_Amarth

Amon_Amarth Force Ghost star 6

Jan 27, 2005
    Star Wars is just a galaxy far far away, so all the physical and chemical laws remain the same. Classic mechanics is always valid unless when it is tried to be applied in microcosm (quantum particles) or is systems whose velocity is higher that 10^6.

Also, it is not weird that other, distant civilisations eventually came to the same physical formula because nature follows the certain axioms that are always the same and therefore relatively easy to explain and define. And reaserch in different civilisations may bring the same postulates as well. Like the ancient Greece and China.

I agree. And hyperscience already exists, but it is a science still in forming. Michio Kaku, the author of "Hyperspace" claims that hyperspace travel is possible in theory, we only need a mass of resources and engineering advancements to begin using it in practice. That won't happen in out time for sure, but it is possible in millenia of technological progress, the case of the Galactic Republic for example.
    That reminds me on K.J. Andersons words from TotJ comics: before the development of the hyperspace travel, star systems lived in great isolation from one another. Millions of civilisations rose and fell without ever learning of each other's existence. In taht far gone time, hyperspace travel was only a theory in the minds of a few advanced thinkers.

Well said, again. Universe is so big and there are so many possibilities that almost anything is probable. DNA can be re-arranged in so many different ways that billions and billions other, to us alien, species can be formed. And that's just carbon-based life forms. It reminds me on a National Geographic documentary about the scientists' reconstruction of possible alien ecosystems which had trees with harts.

2. lazykbys_left

lazykbys_left Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 17, 2005
    Thrawn McEwok: In short, at some point before GFFA "recorded history" - possibly a LOOOONG way back - most GFFA life was probably seeded from wherever GFFA-humans come from....

Er . . . why not go back even further? Since all life in the GFFA (and possibly beyond) is united by the Force - and since the propagation of information through the Force seems to be instantaneous - is it too much of a stretch to conclude that there was some sort of genetic resonance that made life evolve in the same biochemical fashion on practically every world at the same time?

- lazy

3. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    ...and here I was thinking I'd invented that. :)

4. Thrawn McEwok

Thrawn McEwok Co-Author: Essential Guide to Warfare star 6 VIP

May 9, 2000
    It's possible, and interesting; but I'd have expected more diversity... human-related life seems dominant, compared with the sharply-different Gree, Omwat, etc., in a way that looks to me as if it has more to do with cultural imperialism than coincidence...

Maybe that's just the solution that I think works best personally, though, as someone whose interests are strongly bound up with human cultures and the ways they interact, rather than with more mechanical scientific processes....

It just seemed unneccessary to me for aliens to have the same genetic structures, although I can see the point, now that you make it. Perhaps genetic design structures have to function like very complex mathematics, and will naturally develop the same way in most cases, if they're producing the same results?

[face_thinking]

:p Well, there we go. A resonance between independent solutions to the same problem! :D

- The Imperial Ewok

5. sabarte

sabarte Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 8, 2005
    I think you mean Oswaft, fuzzball...

6. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    The problem with hyperspace travel would be the energy needed to do something like that on the macroscale. I have no trouble believing one particle could pop into another dimension and then pop back out in a different set of coordinates in our own three and a half-dimensional reality. I have a lot more trouble believing a ship could do it (or do it in a practical way, at least).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.