main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Pittsburgh, PA Actual Star Wars talk v.2.0

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by TRADMIC, Jan 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TRADMIC

TRADMIC Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 24, 2005
    I really can only think of a few things right now, but sometimes I question things in the Star Wars universe, especially in the books, and I figured maybe we can all help each other out with opinions and such. Like when we went to Zombie Walk and greencat pondered over Zombie Jedi.

Off hand, I would like to know:

Let's say we have a character like Rogue (Xmen) who could "take" a Force user's abilities in the Force (thereby leaving the person with no power or connection to the Force)

Would this character's and his/her "victim"'s midicholorian count be altered?

I have more questions, but that will do for now.

:D

2. SuperChill

SuperChill Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 8, 2005
    [image=http://blog.seattlepi.nwsource.com/baseball/8ball3.gif]

3. CernStormrunner

CernStormrunner Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 6, 2000
    That would be cool.

I remember some talk back before AOTC came out. Remember when Jango's "Saber Dart" was originally called a "Kiber Dart"?

Someone was wondering if there was a connection with the Kiber Crystal from Splinter of the Minds Eye. Like maybe the Kiber Dart was some kind of Midi-killing bioweapon.

Damn, that would be brutal. I'd have loved to see something like that brought up for the Jedi Purge.

I would hope any damage to a Jedi midi levels would repair itself over time

4. Plagious

Plagious Jedi Youngling star 1

May 17, 2006
    If that was all true, then it would it not be possible to give someone the force that wasn't born with it? Or at least make the force stronger in a person that it wasn't very strong?

Personally I think the whole midicholorian thing was a bad idea.

5. TRADMIC

Jul 24, 2005
    No, I'm imagining that each person's connection to the Force would be unique, so that if this Rogue-like character "took" the Force connection away from someone, then he/she would only be able to return it back to its original "owner" lol

Does that make any sense?

See, where I'd like to go with this is kinda like an Order 65:
    Take connection to the Force away from all users for a certain amount of time. But then once the Jedi are (mostly) dead, this person would have an overwhelming amount of power, see?

:)

6. Fluke_Groundrunner

Fluke_Groundrunner Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 1, 2001
    The real question is, what if there was a character like Leech from the X-Men, would he effect the Rogue-like character, or vice versa?

Leech neutralizes the powers of nearby mutants, so if Rogue were nearby, would he neutralize her powers, or would she take his away?

7. greencat336

greencat336 Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 27, 2001
    Could Rogue take a Jedi's power?

If we accept the whole Midicholorian thing, that they are like midicondria living in cells, allowing people to access the Force, then I'd say yes, Rogue could take a Jedi's power. Rogue, it has been demonstrated, can take another mutant's power. Mutant's powers come from genetic mutations (hence the name Mutant). So it is logical to assume that Rogue could take the power of someone whose powers come from a genetic trait such as Midcholorians.

Using the same thought process, Leech could cancel out a Jedi's power.

It seems to me that a long time ago Leech and Rogue meet up (in the comics). If I remember correctly, and its very likely I don't, Rogue and Leech basically 'shorted' each other 'out' and each was knocked unconsious.

8. TRADMIC

Jul 24, 2005
    So then the Rogue-like Jedi person would have a supreme midichlorian count and the victim's count would be near to nothing?

Another question: Was anything ever written on when Dooku was picked up by Sidious? Was he already privy during Maul's training, let's say...just before TPM when he was still with the Order?

9. CernStormrunner

Jul 6, 2000
    I would think it depends on the range of their powers. Rogue has to actually be in physical contact with her victim, Leech's damping power works at a distance.

so, if it's just a powers fight, Leech wins.

but then Rogue would just stomp the lil' green fella.

Now, there was a guy named Gideon:

"Gideon has the ability to mimic any nearby skill, talent, or power possessed by a person or mechanical being (such as an android or a battle suit) and then reapply or redirect that ability back to the attacker."

His powers seem to work at a distance, so I think in a straight power-fight, he'd beat Rogue.

me am nurdly

10. TRADMIC

Jul 24, 2005
    This characters power works through concentration and is ranged. However, as you'd imagine, the more powerful he/she becomes, the farther he/she can entend this range.

11. BonMothma

BonMothma Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 1, 2003

However, Rogue's ability was to "borrow" another's powers. The effect was temporary.

Yes, we are nerdly.

12. TRADMIC

Jul 24, 2005
    [face_plain]

This is not about the actual Rogue.:p

It's about another character with the power to harness the Force connections from other users and hold onto to them indefinitely, or until he implodes due to overwhelming power

1.) What say you about such a character?

2.) Would his midichlorian count be dependent on # of thieved Force connections he has taken?

3.) What if he took it from someone with dark powerz. Would he have a greater tendency toward evil or does it just depend on his willingness to use said powerz?

4.) Let's say the character steals Force powerz from a Jedi, thereby leaving said Jedi with no Force sensitivity. Then the Jedi dies. Do other Jedi feel the dead Jedi's absence in the Force or not?

5.) How much wood would a Force-sensitive wood chuck chuck if a Force-sensitive wood chuck could (and presumably he could and would, chuck wood? (worth 5 bonus points)

:D

13. CernStormrunner

Jul 6, 2000
    Mmm-kay.

1- I sure as heck wouldnt want to go up against him/her.

2- I'm thinking his Midis would be constant. but he should have a pretty high count, at least on par with Yoda. The way I think of midis is like an empty glass-the "Force Potential" is the possible volume of the glass, and that can't change, but depending on training, you can add more liquid to the vessel. So this power-draining guy would, i guess, dehydrate the victim. But he could only absorb so much before he pops...

3-the second one. "Your focus deermines your reality" - QGJ

4-Would he be cut off from the Force like the Vong, or like Uliq Qel-Droma? I'd bet the other Jedi couldn't feel him die, BUT they might feel him being drained. Something like that would have to cause massive suffering in the victim.

5-As much wood as a Force-sensitive wood chuck could chuck if a Force-sensitive wood chuck could chuck wood. Thats easy....

On this topic, have you heard about the FORCE VAMPIRE???

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Force_Vampire

14. Fluke_Groundrunner

Jun 1, 2001
    You would have to travel back in time and dispose of this super powerful person before he could aquire said status.

There is actually a character on the tv show Heroes who can take the powers of others, and become more powerful himself (I think).

15. Fluke_Groundrunner

Jun 1, 2001
    Thinking about it a little more (why? I don't know.) that is kind of what the Borg do on Star Trek. They assimilate other cultures into their own, taking their strengths and becomming more powerful.

16. Rebojazz

Rebojazz Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 11, 2006
    What a wonderful web you weave... "midi-chlorians" is kind of a complex subject. But the newby here would like to chime in on something...

I'm not sure if Rogue would be able to "steal" midi-chlorian counts from a Jedi. If they could that Jedi would actually die. Young Jedi, like Anakin, are born with midi-chlorians, as well as everybody. Midi-chlorians are micro-scopic lifeforms residing is all living cells "telling us the will of the force" according to Qui-Gon, "constantly speaking to us". Young padawan's learn to quiet their mind and that is when they learn about the Force. He later explains that "without midi-chlorians life could not exhist". So, I guess that if the midi-chlorian counts were reduced from taking power away... that persons life would be taken away as well.

There are several passages regarding midi-clorian's if William Irwins book "Star Wars and Philosophy". It's an awesome book if you like that sort of thing. ;)

17. TRADMIC

Jul 24, 2005
    I have that book, and it is awesome!

Using the theory that life could not exist without the midichlorians, it stands to reason that everyone has them. How many one has determines the strength of the individual's particular strength and potential access to the Force (I only say potential because apparently one needs to learn to quiet the mind and listen to these things, and also because there are Force sensitive people who didn't even realize it unitl later in life.)

However, I think Qui Gon explained this after he explained the "symbionce" thing; that the midichlorians form links between everything living and the Force. So I think what he was explaining was in fact, more like a circle of life kind of thing.

Again I'm not really talking about the character Rogue, but one like her. What this character is "taking" then would actually be the sort of energy surrounding the midichlorians. It would be like making atoms into isotopes, giving them a charge and making them bondable with one's own via the Force.

Interesting power, no?

18. Rebojazz

Rebojazz Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 11, 2006
    Interesting power, much.

19. CernStormrunner

Jul 6, 2000
    To keep on the Comic book analogy, what about a Midi-Vampire? I'm thinking os something like Emplate:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emplate

In order to remain on this physical plane, Emplate must suck on the bone marrow of other mutants. He does so with the aid of vampiric mouths in the palms of his hands. Once he has sampled a mutant's marrow he can duplicate their powers.

Substitute Marrow for Midis and you have one scary bugger.

On another note - if i EVER buckle down and write my Star Wars fanfic, i have a group of characters inspired by the Homonculus from FULLMETAL ALCHEMIST but based on the Qlippoth from the Kabbal.

Their leader (more or less) basically is an "evil twin", in other words, he can duplicate the skills and powers of anyone he fights against. his weakness is long-range attacks from outside his "mimetic field"

20. greencat336

Jan 27, 2001
    This is not mine, but I completely forget where I heard the question and its an interesting question, so here it is.

In ROTS, when Palpy gets zapped with the Force Lightening rebounded by Mace, Palpy gets all 'melty.' However, when Luke is zapped by Palpy's Force Lightening in ROTJ, his hair isn't even messed up ("Jedi Brand Hair Gel: Keeps your hair from turning to the Dark Side." tm) So, the question up for discussion is why does Palpy get all nasty looking and Luke doesn't?

21. TRADMIC

Jul 24, 2005
    Sidious always looked like that. The Force-lightning merely unmasked him. Also, being the awesomely evil thinker he is, he used this to play on Anakin's and others' sympathies (Oh, look what the Jedi have done to me, lol)

Plus Sidious had to deal with the Force lightning the longest while Anakin made up his mind what to do, not doubt concerned about the possible consequences intervening would have...on his hair.

When Dooku zapped Anakin in AotC, it didn't mess him up, and when Sidious throws some voltage at Mace, it doesn't appear to age or melt him either.

plus, George Lucas really needed to explain the Emperor's looks in the OT, lol.

22. Fluke_Groundrunner

Jun 1, 2001
    Sidious was only intending to cause Luke pain whereas he was using the full force of the lightning on Mace. The zap at Mace was more powerful. :confused:

23. greencat336

Jan 27, 2001
    Perhaps it had something to do with the lightening being reflected back on the Dark Force user, sorta an 'evil will eventually destroy itself' kinda thing. In all the other cases we've seen, the lightening hit the target of the Dark Force user, causing damage (unless skillfully reflected like Obi and Mace did) but not melting. So maybe when the lightening returned to its source, it reacted to the Dark Source by causing additional damage.

24. TRADMIC

Jul 24, 2005
    Let's consider this:

An electric current running from the source...let's say it hits a tree. The tree is merely a conductor for the electricity to get to the ground. Now imagine that same chrage being reflected full power off something and sent back to its source.

I think some experiments with a stun gun are in order.

25. greencat336

Jan 27, 2001
    LOL, okay, folks may not be done discussing the last question I asked, but I want to ask this one before I forget.

I'm reading a fic that suggests (and its not the first to do so) that the reason that Qui so abruptly dumped his Padawan Obi-Wan for Anakin is because Anakin (consciously or not) was influencing Qui through the Force to do so. Yeah, it means that Ani is using a variation of mind whammy (and get those weak minded comments out of your system) effectively on an experienced Master Jedi, but Ani is also more powerful than even Yoda. And as a slave, being able to influence those around you to do what you want would be an important survival technique (like not seperating a young boy from his mother). So what do you think? Was Qui just being a bit of a jerk tossing Obi aside (yeah, I love Qui, but it was a jerky thing to do) or was he being influenced to do so by a powerful young mind?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.