Pittsburgh, PA Actual Star Wars talk v.2.0

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by TRADMIC, Jan 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TRADMIC FanForce CR and President S.W.A.P FF

Chapter Rep
    star 5
    I found that in the early JA books, Qui Gon's character was very different from his charcter in the movie. Now as JA progresses, you see a change.

I have a fever and cannot think, so I'll summarize my thoughts:

Good thing Anakin came along or Obi Wan would have never taken the hint to cut the cord and be independent.

That is all.

:p
  2. CernStormrunner Jedi Master

star 4
    You know, I wondered the same thing while I was watching AOTC. How do we know Anakin wasn't subconsciously using the Force to make Padme love him? Sure, it only works on the weak minded, but thats when you're dealing with a normal run-of-the-mill Jedi, not the freaking Chosen One.

It might explain why she suddenly was all crazy in love with the big murderous jerk.
  3. greencat336 Jedi Grand Master

star 5

Yeah, I always thought it was a little odd that she got all into creepy, been obsessed with her for ten years after only knowing her a few days, 'stop staring at me like that. It makes me uncomfortable,' slaughter an entire tribe of people down to the smallest child, whiny 'he's holding me back' kinda guy.

Ani mind whammied Qui. He mind whammied Padme. Who else did he get?

4. BonMothma Jedi Master

star 4
    I don't think even the chosen one could have done it.

But Palpy could.
  5. greencat336 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    But Palpy really didn't have access to Qui to mind whammie him and no real reason to do so when Palpy and Qui were together on the landing platform, that brief moment.
  6. Stina-Cri Jedi Master

star 4
    maybe padme is just like all the little fan girls who think anakin's totally hot!

and it was just a shallow moment
    that's one option anyway
  7. BonMothma Jedi Master

star 4

I was referring to Padme's falling for Anakin. I don't think Anni did it. I think Palpy did.
  8. greencat336 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Hmmmmm. Perhaps it was Palpy who was using the Force to send Ani disturbing dreams about Padme's death.
  9. greencat336 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Making snarky comments about Uncle George paying more attention to special effects than story in the PT is a very common thing. And I am one of the folks who think he should have gotten some script doctors to work on character development and the romantic dialoge, however . . .

My student teacher has been giving the class notes with Power Point, which means he adds music and pics to the notes. The kids have responded very positively to the 'special effects,' saying his notes are better than mine. The thing is, he is using my notes, just presenting them through PP instead of on the overhead, without special effects. So therefore I had this thought. . .

Would the SW flicks have been as interesting without their amazing special effects? Are the special effects just as important as the story line?

10. TRADMIC FanForce CR and President S.W.A.P FF

Chapter Rep
    star 5
    You know, we were just talking about this, except our conversation was regrading the horror genre. Horror movies seem to have moved from the last big thing of "more gore" to the jump-out, special-effects antics that to me are just a cheap thrill adrenaline rush.

The John Williams concert validated how big of a part the music plays in conveying emotion in movies.

I think the special effects are awesome, but a good story line is what makes a movie really worth seeing.

:)
  11. Jedi_Master_Jaden Jedi Knight

Yah I agree, the storyline is what separated them from all the other movies at the times they were made, especially in episode III when special effects were a standard part of every movie
  12. BonMothma Jedi Master

star 4
    I think the younger generation puts more importance on special effects than us "older" folks.

I recently got my "Last Unicorn" DVD. I had never seen it. I bought it on principle.

I was talking to some college age girls last night and happened to mention it. One of them said she didn't like it. It had that "seventies" animation, etc.

True, and I thought as I was watching about how cool it might look with better animation, but it also had America playing the music (VERY seventies) and IMHO it wouldn't be the same without it. [face_peace]
  13. TRADMIC FanForce CR and President S.W.A.P FF

Chapter Rep
    star 5
    So you're grouping me in with the younger generation? :confused:

[face_mischief]
  14. greencat336 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Perspective determines reality. It just depends where on the timeline one is standing. I'm sure many people think you positively ancient, TRADMIC. [face_mischief]

What would have happened if Bail had wanted to adopt a son instead of a daughter? How would Luke have fared as Prince Organa? What would Leia been like growing up as a moisture farmer?
  15. Fluke_Groundrunner Force Ghost

star 4
    The farm would have probably been a lot more productive, but R2 would have never gotten to Tatoonie.
  16. Jedi_Master_Jaden Jedi Knight

Leia probably would have become a jedi instead of Luke.
  17. Guinastasia Force Ghost

star 6

Speaking of Artoo, does anyone else think that if you translated his language into Eng-er, Basic, it would require some mega-bleeping? I'm convinced he probably has the foulest, most vulgar and swear-laden vocabulary in the GFFA.

18. greencat336 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Yeah, I agree. R2 is most likely swearing up a storm constantly.

I wonder, if Prince Luke Organa would have gotten involved in politics. Somehow I can't see him being elected youngest senator ever. Would he have gotten involved in the Rebel Alliance? In the various EU (at least the comics) Bail tried to keep Leia out of it, but she insisted that she get involved. Would Luke have pushed to get invovled in the RA? If so, would he have had the sense to hide the Death Star plans in R2?

At what point would Old Ben have approached Leia about her heritage, if the situation about rescue the Prince never arose? Would Leia have felt as obilgated as Luke to stick around the farm or would she have taken off? Would she have wanted to go the the Imperial Academy or would she have thought of some other way to get off of Tatooine (and I'm assuming that she would want to get off Tatooine). As a female, would she have pushed to know more about her mother, in addition to her father? (or did the Lars know anything at all about who the mother was? Maybe they never told anything about her because they didn't know anything)

19. greencat336 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Anyone wish that Chewie had subtitles?
  20. CernStormrunner Jedi Master

star 4
    is there a droid version of tourettes?
  21. greencat336 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I don't think R2's naughty language is involuntary. I think he's just a smart mouth. :)

22. stateless Jedi Master

star 4
    R2 most definitely has a foul mouth. My sister and I "translated" for him once a long time ago, and the F bomb dropped quite a few times.
  23. greencat336 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    In ANH, Leia's message says "General Kenobi, years ago you served my father in the Clone Wars . . . " Also, Obi-Wan obviously knew Bail well enough for Bail to go looking for Obi-Wan after Order 66 and for Bail to be trusted with one of the Skywalker twins. Bail had some strong connection to the Jedi Order, since he was willing to go to the Temple while it was under attack.

But in the movies, there is almost no interaction between Bail and Obi-Wan (before the end of ROTS) So it makes me wonder, when exactly did Obi-Wan and Bail get to know each other? Did Obi-Wan directly serve with Bail or was it just in the generic sense of Obi-Wan was a General while Bail was in the Senate?

24. ben_ethus Jedi Master

star 4
    Greetings, blokes.

Greencat... This is easy. Whenever something seems odd, inconsistent, or just plain wrong, the answer is always one of two things:

1) Because of the Force.

or

2) This.

Too true,
    Yours Truly
  25. greencat336 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    LOL, so basically reason #2 is that Obi-Wan is a pathalogical liar? [face_mischief]

As far as the so-called inconsistencies in the SW universe . . . *grin* I went to a panel at CIII about that (hmmm, weren't you and Stateless at that panel, ben_ethus?) on the 'History' of the SW universe and keeping everything consistent. The answer was, that there aren't any real 'contradictions' in the SW history. Sometimes characters either lie about what actually happened (like Obi-Wan did, all the time) or they have themselves don't really know what is going on and therefore give out false information (like Jar-Jar and C-3P0), which means stuff that is revealed in books/movies/comics/games (which is how we fans find out info about the GFFA) is not always what 'actually happened.' So info that seems to contradict other info (like the background of Boba Fett) is just the characters' mistakes/misinformation and not really plot holes/inconsistencies in the SW universe.

*grin* Yeah, right.

Although my favorite part of the panel was when the Lucas people admitted that when they hit a particularily difficult contradiction of info, they just let the fans themselves come up with an 'in universe' explaination, then go 'yeah, that's right.' [face_laugh]

So, back to my original question. How did Bail and Obi-Wan know each other? Did Obi-Wan really serve Bail in the Clone Wars and in what situation?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.