main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Pittsburgh, PA Actual Star Wars talk v.2.0

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by TRADMIC, Jan 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TRADMIC

TRADMIC Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 24, 2005
    wait, this is a ploy to get us to read some slash fanfic, isn't it? o_O

you served my father in the Clone Wars

Yeah, I think it was just a general statement. The Jedi were serving the Republic.

Funny, I started thinking more about this when Last of the Jedi came out. We know Obi-Wan had an active part in forming the rebellion. I wonder what sort of contact Bail had with Obi-Wan? Obviously he knew the old fart was still alive on Tatooine at least. Their continued contact of some sort would explain why Leia sent the plans to old Ben over anyone else.

ps I'm one of the people who LOVES to explain inconsistencies via fanfic. :)

2. greencat336

greencat336 Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 27, 2001
    I wasn't going to be the first to mention it . . . but Jedi Rita did write a wonderful series about Bail and Obi-Wan [face_mischief]

As far as Bail knowing where Obi-Wan was hiding . . . He was there when Yoda told Obi to hide Luke with his relatives on Tatooine, so I guess one could say that was how Bail knew where to find him. But I think it also implies that Leia was told if she needed help she could contact Obi, since the original plan was for her to take the Death Star Plans to Alderaan, not Tatooine. Exactly how many people knew Obi was on Tatooine? How cut off was he? Did he have some contact with the Rebellion? R2 seemed to know exactly where to find Obi-Wan. Think about it, just knowing someone is on the planet Earth doesn't mean that you would know exactly where to locate him. That implies that Leia (most like through Bail) knew specifically where Obi lived.

Perhaps the Last of the Jedi will clear some of this up.

Speculation is spiffy, though.

Do you think that Obi-Wan did act as an adviser to Bail and the Rebellion? Or did he just leave a forwarding address to Bail, just in case?

3. TRADMIC

Jul 24, 2005
    R2 seemed to know exactly where to find Obi-Wan

During the height of the Galactic Civil War, Leia Organa secured plans to the Empire's most diabolical weapon -- the Death Star. Leia specifically went to Tatooine searching for Obi-Wan, because her adoptive father, Bail Organa, knew that he was there. Her mission was to contact Obi-Wan Kenobi, and bring both Kenobi and the plans to her adoptive father on Alderaan. She even had an address. As she programmed R2-D2 with her holographic plea, she told the droid, "He's located in the vicinity of standardized coordinates alpha-1733-mu-9033, first quadrant." Captured by the Imperial agents, Leia was unable to complete either goal. She instead placed the plans into the memory systems of an R2 unit, and dispatched the droid to Tatooine.

This information can be heard in the National Public Radio dramatization of Star Wars.

:D

4. greencat336

Jan 27, 2001
    So was it just the 'ultimate weapon' plans that made Bail decide it was time to contact Obi? That things had reached such a critical point that one of the founders of the Rebellion decided they needed the input of a Jedi Master? Had he ever contacted Obi before?

On a different thought . . .

Was the fall of the Jedi their destiny? Was it actually, in the long run, better for the galaxy? The Republic government was corrupt and inefficent and the Jedi had become very closely intertwined with them, acting as their agents rather than as an independent organization. The Jedi were stagnating, tightly bound in tradition. Perhaps the Force was doing a bit of housecleaning. Throwing out the old to clear the way for the new. After all, an Empire lasting 25 years isn't that long relative to the history of the galaxy.

If Palpy hadn't come along, would the Republic have eventually fallen anyway? Was Civil War inevitable?

What if it had been the Old Republic government that had been in charge of the galaxy when the Vong arrived. (I agree with the speculation in one of the books that if the Empire had been in charge he would have wasted no time in crushing a threat to his power) Would they have been better able to deal with that threat than the New Republic or would it have gone just as badly?

5. CernStormrunner

CernStormrunner Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 6, 2000
    To quote a line from CRUSADE:

"Well, then if this is the story of Job, then a great deal of people are inconvenienced for your benefit. I hope you appreciate it."

I'd hate to think that if the Force is sentient enough to have a "Will" that it would find a better way to fix the Order than to wipe it all out and start from scratch.

Then again, this would be another point against the Force being God, seeing as how God is Omnipotent, Omnipresent, and Omnibenevolent.

Hmm, omnipontence. Gotta get me some of that...

6. TRADMIC

Jul 24, 2005
    In LotJ, even Ferus has Obi's contact, but it's on an emergency basis only. IMO this wasn't the first time Bail had contacted Obi-Wan.

Even assuming Ferus and Bail were the only ones with direct contact info for Obi-Wan, this is still quite a risk. Though I'm sure it took awhile, the rebels were networked well enough to pass along info in codes, even via media, Holonet, etc. Keets Freely still even had contacts he could use - he said so in one of the first books. I think it would only be believable that Bail passed along info in this way.

Wouldn't you think Bail would be pretty high up on the list of people to watch? In LotJ the med center at Polis Massa is investigated, and it does indicate that they are checking out supplies and orders with suspicion that Padme had her child there. Ok, that's foiled, but they don't follow up by going to the wherever these supplies are ordered? Maybe they do. Speculate why they didn't just go dig up Padme. :p

Anyway, you would think that Bail would be on the watch list...so why wasn't he investigated? Especially after all the sudden he has a baby?

Was the fall of the Jedi their destiny?

Ever read "What Was Lost"? You'd love it. It has ghosty Qui in it. And an explanation that the Jedi of the present were weaker than those of the past because of the rule of no attachment/marriage thing. They weren't passing along their little Force-sensitive DNA. A very good concept when combined with the other reasons the Jedi as a group were weaker and less effective. And yes, I'm sure the Jedi had children out there, it's just that they're not as easy to discover and bring to the Order as if you had them with your SO.

Which brings up comedy gold script for Jedi who run around the galaxy and have children they never know...yeah, I think I'm going to have to write about the plea of a poor yet spirited woman trying to get some kind of compensation and support for her Jedi-fathered child. You'd think it would be as big of an issue as when people try to pin their kids on celebrities. :p

Before I go WAY off track with that...

What if it had been the Old Republic government that had been in charge of the galaxy when the Vong arrived?

Interesting, because this was the one of the main concepts I used when I decided to write (btw not the one I gave you, greencat, but the one that follows, which I actually wrote first). In it is an insuation that Palpy is made aware of the threat of invasion from outside the known galaxy. One of the characters believes he can eliminate or at least greatly stifle the threat. In their alliance, this character gets what he needs to do this. He is also rather convinced into the elimination of the Jedi and reorganizing into a stronger force, and thereby uses this weapon to help with Order 66.

:)

7. greencat336

Jan 27, 2001
    Because she was cremated. There was just ashes left so nothing to dig up. Also the person who prepared her for her funeral was her Grandmother and she died soon afterwards (that was from one of the Last of the Jedi books)

Anyway, you would think that Bail would be on the watch list...so why wasn't he investigated? Especially after all the sudden he has a baby?

I seem to recall that I read somewhere/heard somewhere that when Palpy declared himself Emperor, Bail and MonMothma decided to officially support him. Especially when those that actively opposed Palpy were disappearing and being arrested. He was watched, but was very careful. As for 'suddenly he has a baby' The war had just ended. Lots of war orphans. He could just say he was doing his part to help out.

Which brings up comedy gold script for Jedi who run around the galaxy and have children they never know...yeah, I think I'm going to have to write about the plea of a poor yet spirited woman trying to get some kind of compensation and support for her Jedi-fathered child. You'd think it would be as big of an issue as when people try to pin their kids on celebrities. :p

LOL, Jedi as deadbeat dads, getting their wages garnered for support payments. Tabloid headlines "Yoda fathered my child!"

8. TRADMIC

Jul 24, 2005
    Speculate why they didn't just go dig up Padme. :p

I'm sorry but the correct answer was: "The answer lies within the Last of the Jedi books, which everyone will have to read to find out the answer."

:D

Sometime when I don't have a headache, I'll go back and readdress some of the Bail issues.

My Star Wars contemplation of the moment: Freedon Nadd's tomb/ghosty evilz could break every bone in someone's body, yet subsequent living and holocron'ed Sith are quite weak and lame in comparison. wth?!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.