main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Actualización del Mod Squad - el 12 de Mayo de 2004

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Kimball_Kinnison, May 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. farraday

farraday Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 27, 2000
    Mebe did not respond in kind? How can you say that when he applied DA's very own biating flame back at him? How is that not responding in kind? They said the same thing about someone.

If I called you a boring hypocrite and you said I was too you responded in kind, come on raven you're more intelligent then that.

2. Raven

Raven Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998
    A retort can definitely be a personal attack.

MeBeJedi skated close to the line, but I don't think that he crossed it. To respond in kind would have been to explicitly say something similar about DA or a group that DA was associated with. Instead, he pointed out that DA?s statement could apply to DA as well as those that DA was complaining about.

3. farraday

Jan 27, 2000
    I thought the stringent rule enforcing would cover that line skating Gandolf, or does that not apply when the person "deserves it".

Furthermore there are pleanty of ways of saying his generalization would apply to him as well without expressly saying that he fit his generalization.

The difference between saying "You said everyone in 3sa has an IQ under 12, but you post in 3sa, hmmm" and "Everyone who posts in 3sa has an IQ under 12? I guess that explains why you post there"

The first implies that the generlaize has made a foolish error, the second sates the generalizer is an idiot. Tell me Gandolf are you really going to try and teach me where the line is?

4. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    Are you saying you believe DA's post was a foolish error? ?[face_plain]

5. farraday

Jan 27, 2000
    Specifically the one where he's undercut blaine for coming into Comm, whoever PMed her, making an edit to an antagonistic discussion telling one of the participents, namely you, not to make it personal. What DA did or didn't do is immaterial, you deserved the warning you got, live with it even if it means you'll never pass another credit check.

6. MeBeJedi

May 30, 2002
    In case you've not noticed, I've not said one way or another whether or not I deserved the warning, so for whatever reason you think I've got an issue with the warning is beyond me.

In case you've also not noticed, you didn't answer my question (again.)

7. farraday

Jan 27, 2000
    I didn't? I was fairly certain the yes was implied. I shall make a note to be more exactingly clear for you in the future.

If you believe the warn was warrented please tell Raven so maybe then he'll realize he's being silly.

8. MeBeJedi

May 30, 2002
    So you believe DA's post regarding 3SA members and their I.Q.'S was an accident?

That's funny.

9. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    farraday...
    "Furthermore there are pleanty of ways of saying his generalization would apply to him as well without expressly saying that he fit his generalization."

Ooooh, I think I know what you mean. Can I try one of these, farraday?

A user earlier made the following perfectly reasonable statement:
    "not all mods think I'm a mod-hating bastard, just the mods who think I am a mod-hating bastard think I'm a mod-hating bastard, the rest know I'm not a bastard."

A way of saying that user's generalization might apply to me without expressly saying that I fit his generalization would be in response...
    "I am a mod and I don't know that."

A reply which might imply two things. The first sets that I am a part of the class being referred to in the original - "mods." The next turns the final part of the original statement on its ear, subtly implying the converse of the final part is synonymous with the middle part.

The more problematic way of getting the same point across by an individual holding the belief would be something like, "I am one of the mods who thinks the user is a mod-hating bastard, so that makes me a mod who thinks the user is a mod-hating bastard," right?

10. farraday

Jan 27, 2000
    Mebe please don't take this the wrong way but you're putting an awful lot of effort into not understanding what I'm saying here.

Regardless of what DA said what you said deserved a warning. Regardless of who contacted blaine about the thread she gave you the warning you deserved. Having an admin udnercut her afterwards for doing her job as a mod is certainyl counterproductive. This isn't about never publically disagreeing it's about not lambasting someone for doing the right thing. If she'd banned you mebe I'd be calling it into question but she didn't, she didn't even edit what you wrote as far as I can tell, just told you not to make it personal and Raven should realize that that is exactly the right thing to say in a heated debate in Comms even if DA is on the other side.

Edit//Genghis I have no idea what the hell you just said but I'm going to go ahead and disagree on general principle. For god's sake will someone please teach Genghis to recognize sardonicism?

11. Genghis12

Nov 18, 1999
    Sorry, I've heard a time or two that the forums evidently can't handle my sarcasm. It'd probably drive you all nuts if I move on to sardonicism. So, please know that it's for your mental well-being that I must make the sacrifice to stay away from sardonicism.

12. farraday

Jan 27, 2000
    that's because your sarcasm tends towards the logically obscure lawyersque speak.

I'm sure "Well term A of the B complaint from the C form was the B form's A complaint with the D term!" has them rolling on the aisles in accounting schools across america, but it's not what you might call 'for general consumption'.

13. Genghis12

Nov 18, 1999
    Yeah, you've got me there. The Comms forum of TF.N's Jedi Council forums is such a far more typical audience, after all.

If accountants would only have the sense of humor of bitter ex-mods, I could take my show on the road and quit my day job.

14. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    If Hell exists, it involves watching the two of you banter back and forth for eternity.

15. Raven

Oct 5, 1998
    If Hell exists, it involves watching the two of you banter back and forth for eternity.

That was uncalled for.

16. farraday

Jan 27, 2000
    I confess wronging Genghis, he is not an accountant he is an Engineer, the appropriate joke should have been "Bohr? I barely even know her!" Sorry for spreading innaccurate information.

17. Raven

Oct 5, 1998
    They're here all week folks, and be sure to try the veal and tip your waiter.

18. Genghis12

Nov 18, 1999
    Apology accepted, farraday. I suppose I can admit to being one of those mods who knows you're not a mod-hater.

19. HawkNC

HawkNC Former RSA: Oceania star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2001
  20. TheBoogieMan

TheBoogieMan Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 14, 2001
    so, um, would i get a warning if i were to ironically suggest that everyone in this thread has an IQ under 12?

:)

21. HawkNC

Oct 23, 2001
    Since you'd be insulting yourself also, it'd be a bit of a coin toss.

22. TheBoogieMan

Nov 14, 2001
    i think that was probably the point Cahill :p

23. HawkNC

Oct 23, 2001
    Until you bother to turn up to a meet and actually introduce yourself, Golding, you've got no right to refer to me by that name. :p

24. TheBoogieMan

Nov 14, 2001
    Right. You wanna take this outside? (to our own forum, i'll see you there, HawkNC/Cahill)

Sorry to derail the thread. Please resume your petty little arguments.

25. Dingo

Dingo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2001
    Here we are supposed to be working under some specific rules to promote a better environment for discussion here in Comms, and we get as disgraceful a display as above, that is not only allowed to continue by moderators and administrators, but propogated by them and other people who should know better.

I am ashamed at the fact that I was one of the people that pushed hard for all of you to become a part of the Mod Squad, and you all put on as appalling a display as this.

Disgusting.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.