main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Adam Driver (Kylo Ren) in Episode VII

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Momotaros, May 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Corvus

Darth_Corvus Jedi Master star 4

Jun 17, 2010

But is he? Ain't he just a wannabe kid who likes cosplaying as Revan?

2. Rabs

Rabs Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 15, 2014
    Don't know. I haven't seen the movie.

3. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    For now, we’re getting to know the characters played by John Boyega, Daisy Ridley, and Oscar Isaac—as well as that shadowy figure in the snow with the crossguard lightsaber.

Nowhere does it say Driver's the Sith villain, so Kylo Ren could be his pseudonym.:p

Import_Jedi, EviL_eLF and TheBBP like this.
  4. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Maybe it's actually Nero Lyk?

5. redlightning

redlightning Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 1, 2014
    It could trying to say Nero Like? It implies that like in the Roman Empire, after Ceasar was killed a far crazier and more genocidal person took control of the throne.

6. Fjall

Fjall Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2014
    no. just stop.

7. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    There could be a character like Palpatine/Sidious, playing two secret roles. Depends how much of the story is actually from Lucas - but he supposedly wrote these movie's storylines whatever that implies. I would expect a repetitious storyline as that was his thing, everything being repeated and going together like rhymes.

8. Grand Master Galen Marek

Grand Master Galen Marek Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 22, 2014
    I guess they don't want the secret to be revealed to those close to them.

starocean90 likes this.
  9. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
  10. Grand Master Galen Marek

Grand Master Galen Marek Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 22, 2014
    Gosh these cross lightsaber appearances are cool.

Michaea and starocean90 like this.
  11. JediFan215

JediFan215 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 31, 2014
    So, Driver or not, what do you guys think Ren's background is?
    My guess is that he's a former apprentice of Luke's. Luke failed to keep him from the dark side, to keep his interests away from the artifacts of the Sith. Luke went into exile after Kylo betrayed him, and Kylo was left to continue his search for the artifacts, such as the totally awesome lightsaber.

starocean90 likes this.
  12. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
    It's most likely Driver,
    but didn't Making say that Luke went into exile because he couldn't control his powers and to protect his loved ones.

13. JediFan215

JediFan215 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 31, 2014
    Possibly. I've lost track of all the rumors.... Ren could be completely unrelated to Luke, but it would be interesting to see someone Luke failed, which could lead him to change his methods. Perhaps before, he trained Ren in the 'old way:' no attachments, etc. We don't know how much Yoda told him offscreen.

starocean90 likes this.
  14. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
    I like your idea of Luke's old Padawan vs Luke's new Padawans.;)
    It's more interesting when there is a connection between the heroes and villains.:)

JediFan215 likes this.
  15. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    Definitely a connection to the OT3 for sure. Whether he's Han and Leia's son, taken from them when he was very young or Luke's former apprentice, there will be a connection. It's the human side of SW that sets it apart from other big stories.

I predict we will see someone who will fall or has fallen in a fashion not that terribly different from Anakin, but shown in a different way. We never got to see Vader in action after he was created. We only got to see him 20 years later when he was pretty much worn out. I gather that this new trilogy will explore someone who has fallen to the dark side in all his glory and power. Imagine the story of Vader during the era between ROTS and ANH, going after Jedi and those who pose a threat to him or Palpatine.

Michaea likes this.
  16. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
  17. Michaea

Michaea Jedi Knight

Nov 29, 2014
    Apparently Lucasfilm and Disney registered the trademark applications of BB-8, Poe Dameron, Captain Phasma, and Kylo Ren - but not apparently of Finn or Rey yet. What does that mean? Does that mean they have registered those whose full names they have revealed?
    So Kylo Ren is a full name? At least the full name that he goes by.

Alternatively, perhaps his full name really is Kylo Ren Solo, but the Kylo Ren part is already distinct enough that it can have its own trademark (whereas Finn and Rey are not distinct enough).

OR perhaps Kylo Ren is a full code name (and he is not yet worthy to take on a Darth-something name).

I guess the trademark doesn't confirm anything, but perhaps it is a notable piece of evidence?

starocean90 likes this.
  18. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
    it might not necessarily mean anything, Kylo Ren could easily be the name he uses when disguised (think superhero/supervillain).
    as for Rey and Finn, if they register their names, they most likely will register their full names, which I think they would want to announce first before registration, just like how they registered TFA title after announcing the Title, so that people wouldn't find out.:p

Michaea likes this.
  19. Michaea

Michaea Jedi Knight

Nov 29, 2014

Agreed. The only thing it suggests to me is that "Kylo Ren Solo" is not likely to be the name he goes by in the film. Which means: 1) he is not a Solo, AND/OR 2) Kylo Ren is a code name.

Tangential further analysis on that:

If Kylo Ren is a code name for his villain persona, my thinking is that this puts him somewhere in the middle between total wannabee and full-fledged Sith. If he were a full Sith, he would be Darth-something. But if he were nothing but a wannabee copying Vader and other Sith greats, I think he would likely call himself "Darth-something". So he is not yet a Sith, but he also has the sense to know that he can't just choose to be one.

I say this because I think some people are underestimating him by imagining him as a loser Sith fanboy.

starocean90 likes this.
  20. KissMeImARebel

KissMeImARebel Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    And jumping tangentially off of that ... if he's doing Sith-like-stuff but not identifying as a Sith, it could indicate a shift in Sith and/or darkside philosophy. Maybe he doesn't even want to be a Sith.

Michaea likes this.
  21. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    As a fan of the Roman Empire, I approve of this crazy, far-fetched connection.

...even though Nero "took over" quite a bit after Caesar was killed, but still.

22. Siv Varik

Siv Varik Jedi Youngling

Dec 16, 2014
    I like the idea of him being somewhere between the full-fledged and "padawan" sith. There's the speculation of Kylo Ren being his undercover name, or that he's not a sith at all. Like with the PT we were given the backstory of Darth Vader and it kind of just ends. With the OT we saw him on his last leg, if you will. We never really saw him in his heyday.

Maybe Kylo really is just Kylo when we're first introduced to him, but at the end of TFA, he is given the title of Darth and in VIII and IX he reaches his full potential. I think it would be a cool way of introducing the real mastermind (Darth Sidious of this generation) as well as introducing us to a younger Sith at the height of their power on screen for the first time. They could really pull together the good facets of the PT and OT. A Sith with the physical capabilities of Darth Maul (such potential thrown down the drain), and the complete intimidation factor of Darth Vader.

Sorry I just kind of rambled on. Those were just thoughts off the top of my head, and it was also my first post

BigAl6ft6 and Michaea like this.
  23. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Just saw "What If / F-Word" and Driver is really good in that, still kinda snarky and flip for the most part but he has one scene where he has some bitterness and anger floating towards the surface.

24. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I do want to see This is Where I Leave You.

25. Nipuhanipera

Nipuhanipera Force Ghost star 5

May 25, 2014
    Genius. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.