main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Adam Driver (Kylo Ren) in Episode IX

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Ben-Solo, Dec 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    I think Kylo will be a cross between Snoke and Vader. He'll go by the name Vape and his lightsaber will double as a huge vape pen.

Palp_Faction likes this.
  2. miasma

miasma Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 29, 2013
    Um, spoiler tags?! Thank you.
    ;)

3. The Regular Mustache

Dec 22, 2015
    It's been said that Disney wants to move past the Skywalkers but if that's true why did they make Kylo a Skywalker/Solo? The easiest way to move past the Skywalkers would have been to not give any of the OT cast children. Maybe moving past the Skywalkers doesn't mean that they want to get rid of all the Skywalkers? Maybe it just means the that future Star War films won't make the Skywalker family drama the center of the story?

All this is to say that A) either they'll have to kill Kylo off to truly end the Skywalker Saga or B) All this talk about moving past the Skywalker Saga is misleading and Kylo will live and be brought back at some point.

Seems more likely to me that by the end of Ep. 9 Kylo will be presumed dead and they'll mothball the character until after the RJ trilogy and the Weiss and Benioff series wrap up and then *shocker!* Ben Solo returns.

4. oncafar

oncafar Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2017
    If there isn't even one descendent, it's kind of not the Skywalker saga.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2018
    Birkendoc likes this.
  5. The Regular Mustache

Dec 22, 2015
    The ST still could've been the Skywalker Saga if Kylo was unrelated and Luke wasn't killed off until Ep. 9, the latter of which was George Lucas's original plan.

wobbits, Jedi Jessy and 11-4D like this.
  6. BalanceOfTheForce

BalanceOfTheForce Jedi Master star 4

Dec 18, 2016
    I believe in George's version they would've been at least 1 Solo child somewhere

7. Jedi Jessy

Jedi Jessy Force Ghost star 5

Feb 28, 2016
    Yes, Jedi Killer wasn't a Solo or Skywalker. Apparently Skylar/Sam (who become Finn later) was a Solo kid. Poe was a jedi

8. The Regular Mustache

Dec 22, 2015
    True enough. I shouldn't have brought up Lucas's treatments. My point is that the ST could've been the Skywalker Saga even if Luke, Han, and Leia didn't have kids.

Kylo could've been some rando former student of Luke's that fell to the darkside and Ep. 9 could've been about Luke and his padawan Rey, (the only student to survive Kylo's massacre) facing off against Kylo and Snoke. Luke and Rey defeat Kylo and Snoke, Luke dies, and Rey carries on the Jedi Order. End of Skywalker Saga. They could've have avoided creating a new Skywalker that they planned to kill off in three movies to end the Skywalker Saga.

9. IncessantRamblings

IncessantRamblings Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2016
    Even though the Jedi Killer wasn't originally a Solo/Skywalker, it was pretty much always that the Solo son would turn to the Dark Side (& eventually kill his father). Skylar/Sam & John Doe, went through so many revisions that honestly those three characters were at times pretty much the same character. Poe wasn't a Jedi, John Doe was briefly a former Jedi who survived the Temple and later was made into a Rebel soldier... long before he became 'Poe'.

10. NileQT87

NileQT87 Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 21, 2002
    Skylar/Sam Solo's role also halfway went to Ben Solo. Kylo Ren didn't just become the Jedi Killer role replacement (Darth Talon was a scantily-clad female Twi'lek with Darth Maul markings--it's not hard to see why that was dropped), but he also took half of the role you're pretending only became Finn, leaving only the John Doe part. Everything after the snow fight showdown between Thea/Kira Solo and Darth Talon (with Skylar/Sam being a mere companion) was moved to the Solo son after all. Specifically the fall to the Dark Side and killing the father, which was always going to be the Solo son's role, but it was moved to prior to VII instead of during VIII. The Skylar/Sam role was going to fall to the Dark Side and kill his father, so he's not just Finn by a different name.

There's a reason that Skylar sounds a lot like Kylo, but less on the nose with the heritage from only one side of the family. The Solo heritage got pumped up considerably, given they want to remind us and him as much as possible of Han.

Also, George Lucas never had the idea of a runaway Stormtrooper. That was all Kasdan and J.J. George Lucas had the order of events different and the number of offspring was greater (asked J.J. where Vader's grandchildren in the plural were when he saw the TFA premiere), because he had both Rey and Ben being Solos. We also know Arndt was working closer to Lucas' treatment, which contained Luke in a more overshadowing role in VII as a teacher. J.J. and Kasdan were responsible for putting Han in the starring mentor role (J.J. actually put greater emphasis on the OT trio, minus Luke in TFA) and moving the events of Lucas' envisioned VIII to before VII in regards to Ben's fall to the Dark Side. Han was always Kasdan's baby and J.J.'s favorite of the OT trio. Rian got to focus on his favorite, Luke.

Harrison Ford renamed the Solo son after his own eldest son (clearly not into Skylar and Sam), Ben Ford (the chef). Ben and Willard Ford already have a long history of having characters named after them in the OT. It also coincidentally happens to be a name that means "Only Hope". And who was Leia's only hope in ANH? Oh, right. Ben Kenobi.

The other Ben:
    [​IMG]

11. IncessantRamblings

Nov 20, 2016
    Only part I disagree with; there's no evidence that Thea/Kira/Rey was ever a Skywalker or Solo; in fact even in the early draft where Rey finds Luke in 8, it's likely that she wasn't one. Many assumed because of a concept art of Kira & Skylar where they looked 'alike', but that artist may not have even known the character's backgrounds. Many times the artists aren't privy to that info and are just throwing things out to see what sticks! I've pointed out several times that in GL's treatment the 'grandchildren' in question could've very well been Skylar/Sam/whoever as siblings. Also, at one point the Solo son was Rey's 'companion' if I remember correctly, so certainly she wasn't related then!

12. NileQT87

NileQT87 Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 21, 2002
    George Lucas asked J.J. Abrams where Vader's grandchildren were in the plural. Note that it wasn't as if Lucas hadn't seen the film and didn't know that Kylo Ren was the offspring. Lucas seemed focused on the fact that his treatment with multiple legacy kids had suddenly disappeared and replaced with one who was already on the Dark Side, rather than falling later in VIII. It looks like VIII actually had more in common with what Lucas had in mind for VII (Luke training legacy offspring) than TFA ended up being. Thea/Kira was definitely a Solo in his treatment or else his comments to J.J. make no sense. It was J.J. and Kasdan who seem to have reduced the amount of legacy offspring down to one and made a love story instead.

Also, the concept art of the Skylar/Sam role is literally dressed in the same outfit given to Han Solo in TFA. You may as well call the characters Jacen and Jaina. Brown leather jacket and same shirt with the upward no-collar while in the Han Solo blaster pose. The art is also unmistakably meant to look like Harrison Ford. At the stage where that piece of art was drawn, he was NOT in the Darth Talon Jedi Killer role and the companion was still a Solo boy. There seem to have been several stages of artwork with the different concepts as roles were shifted around. Later the Jedi Killer with Thea/Kira is literally modeled on an Adam Driver photo shoot (pose with arms around the girl). By that stage of flipping around the roles, they were already chasing a specific actor and modeling concept art on actor photo shoots. We know Adam took his precious time deciding on taking the role, which led to him jokingly getting called Brando. They were chasing him and it wasn't a situation where he was just a regular auditioner.

Darth_Bertie likes this.
  13. oncafar

Jan 10, 2017
    If Rey was originally a Solo, it might turn out that she still is. JJA responded to that grandchildren question by saying it's GL's story or something, almost as though this is coming from GL and not JJA.

14. IncessantRamblings

Nov 20, 2016
    GL was clearly joking in that video w/ JJ, and JJ was laughing as well. I don't personally believe that George is as 'uninvolved' as they'd have us think, nor as offended as his 'white slavers' comment made it seem. Multiple legacy kids does not equal the main female Jedi lead had to be one, especially since at various times there were two to three options who could've been grandsons. Nor does grandchildren have to mean one grandson & one granddaughter.

Yes, of course since Skylar was at one point without a doubt Han's son, and like I said 'companion' like romantically, which meant Thea/Kira wasn't his sister.

That concept of Kira & the Jedi Killer was after Adam had been hired and before Daisy had been. No Adam's situation wasn't like the others, KK & JJ wanted him pretty much from the start....

Er, what? No, even IF (a huge if) Rey's character was ever a Solo in GL's treatments, there's NO WAY, she is one now.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2018
  15. The Regular Mustache

Dec 22, 2015
    I'm going to play devils advocate. I mentioned this before but maybe Han had an affair with Luke's wife and when her relationship with Han fell apart and she left Luke she disappeared wanting to get as far away from the Skywalkers and Solos as possible. Shortly after leaving she realized that she was pregnant with Han's kid but she doesn't tell him and she certainly doesn't tell Luke. Also Han by this point is back to smuggling i.e. he's not around to be a dad to anybody.

Speaking of which Ben feels disappointed by Han. Han betrayed the family and Luke and then left them all. Ben's mind starts going to a dark place and Leia sends him to Luke.

Luke at this point doesn't have his head in the game. He's distracted by the fact that his wife and his best friend betrayed him. As a result he's embraced the PT-Jedi's no attachments philosophy. Also when Luke looks at Ben he's reminded of Han which then clouds Luke's mind and keeps Luke from realizing how fast his nephew is slipping to the dark side. With Han out of the picture and Luke checked out Snoke has the perfect opportunity to take advantage of Ben. And this rest is history.

Getting back to Rey's mother she never tells Rey that her father is Han or that her uncle and aunt are Skywalkers because how do you tell a child that they were the accidental byproduct of an affair that broke up a legendary family? You don't. That's why Rey doesn't have the Solo, Skywalker last name. And who's her mother? Nobody. It's better for Rey to think her parents were nobody than know the truth.

16. IncessantRamblings

Nov 20, 2016
    o_O
    Luke didn't have a wife. Han isn't Rey's dad. Go home @The Regular Mustache you're drunk! ;)

P.S. I'd say Ben feels disappointed by Han because he didn't stop him from being sent away to Luke....

17. The Regular Mustache

Dec 22, 2015
    Ha. You are likely correct. There's not a chance that my theory is correct but it's fun for me to kick around the idea.

Birkendoc and IncessantRamblings like this.
  18. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    Just a little bit I heard about that looks almost certainly to not happen now.
    Oh well, it could've looked brilliant.:(

19. oncafar

Jan 10, 2017
    Where did you hear this from?

20. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    Sorry, can't say.

21. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012

22. The Regular Mustache

Dec 22, 2015
    What do you all think will be the thing that will turn Kylo back to the light side? It's going to have something to do with Leia right? That's the only option?

23. oncafar

Jan 10, 2017
    I don't know if Kylo will turn back to the light side.

I personally think that the way is through Han and the question of if killing his father was the right thing to do. I don't think Kylo will have that question answered until the end of IX. I think that whether he goes down evil or in some way improves, he will find the answer to the question was that it was not the right thing to do. This will also mean everything he has done on the dark side was not the right thing to do either.

Kylo needs to see that he is wrong. If he sees it and believes it, that is his way back.

Birkendoc likes this.
  24. Birkendoc

Birkendoc Chosen One star 4

Sep 20, 2001
    So everything is moot because JJ went in a different direction.

25. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I'm torn over whether or not I'd like to see him redeemed. On the one hand I love the idea of the last scene showing a redeemed Ben Solo on Tatooine but on the other hand I think Adam Driver playing the role of the Mad Emperor and seeing him descend further and further into darkness until he's eventually overthrown sounds like so much fun to watch.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.