main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Adam Driver (Kylo Ren) in Episode IX

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Ben-Solo, Dec 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Adept

Adept Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2006
    Yup, new type of villain for a new saga. It'll be interesting to see how he commands Luke's other fallen students in the next film.

2. Darth Bary

Darth Bary Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 21, 2016
    When Luke talked about Ben taking some of the students with him, my mind immediately jumped to the knights of ren. Its really a big if as to whether or not that was simply a throw-away line or something more, though.

3. Adept

Adept Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2006
    The scariest possibility is that the Knights of Ren are agents/servants of each of the Students that left Luke...like their own personal honor guard...

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  4. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    (an unofficial sequel to my "What does Snoke REALLY want" thread)

What is Kylo Ren's true motivation?

He has killed Han, killed Snoke, basically responsible for Luke's death, and has become the Supreme Leader of the galaxy (with the Resistance down to some 20 people on the Falcon, and the collapse of the Republic). He has destroyed the Old Jedi and taken over the galaxy, successfully overthrowing his master and overcoming his family attachments... finishing what Darth Vader started.

Yet he hints in TLJ that he doesn't just want revenge and power... he wants to destroy the old order completely, and presumably create something new. We also learn that some of Luke's other students are probably still alive and currently allied with him.

We also still don't know precisely what it was that Luke sensed in him. Or how Snoke corrupted him.

Now that we know Kylo Ren is truly the main villain, not Snoke or anyone else, what has been his true motivation all along?

5. Darth Bary

Darth Bary Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 21, 2016
    I think it's pretty obvious that he simply wants half life 3 to be made.

6. zam wesell2005

zam wesell2005 Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 23, 2015
    Statues to be built to him, and one day people talk about him the way they do his grandfather. His insecurity drives him.

11-4D and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  7. skybender

skybender Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 28, 2017
    Well, we know that he doesn't have daddy issues because apparently he didn't dislike Han after all. I'm eyeballing you the, "Why did you kill Han? Did you really hate him that much?" question that was popped at least twice with no answer, except something like "That's not why! ..." All we know is that I guess Han wasn't a disappointing father, as stated in TFA. But he does hate Luke (fair enough since he did want to kill him for a few seconds [face_dunno]) ... Uncle issues?

8. cut-of-space

cut-of-space Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 29, 2017
    "Show me again. The power of the darkness. And I will let nothing stand in our way. Show me... Grandfather. And I will finish what you started."

You already covered his main motivations yourself. Kylo aims to be stronger than Darth Vader, he's simply driven to complete what his grandfather began. At the same time he also seeks to end every powerful group in the universe... The Jedi, the Sith, the Resistance and the First Order. He hates the past and will do anything to erase it because he's so full of hatred. And yet... Kylo still idolizes his grandfather. I assume he wants to rule the galaxy, but beyond that who knows where his ambitions will lead. As the new Supreme Leader he will have a lot on his plate, but defeating his arch-nemesis Rey will still be high on the to-do list. He may have some other hidden agenda, but to me he seems mostly fixated on destroying old things, rather than creating new things of his own.

I hope they establish a more powerful motive for him by the time the next film rolls around...

9. grungebunny

grungebunny Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jul 20, 2005

To find his place in the universe after his family seemingly rejected him. He latched on to his powerful grandfather, a family member who could never betray him. He seeks power to control as security, his way of standing on his own two feet and saying 'You cast me out, but I don't need you'.

10. ladygrey45

ladygrey45 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 30, 2015
    I think that Ben will be conflicted but now I think he's going to have an obsession with destroying Rey.

DARTHSHAME and Ben-Solo like this.
  11. DaddlerTheDalek

DaddlerTheDalek Jedi Master star 4

Aug 31, 2014
    It's going to be very interesting to see Supreme Leader Kylo Ren in IX:

12. Ben-Solo

Ben-Solo Jedi Master star 4

Apr 19, 2017
    This is precisely what I believe may happen but I believe will see be challenged one last time and that challenge will decide whether or not Ben Solo is redeemed, survives, dies etc.

DARTHSHAME likes this.
  13. spicewood

spicewood Jedi Master star 2

Jun 26, 2007
    He’s lost and was betrayed by the last person in the galaxy that he could have ever imagined; Luke. Not sure he has any motive outside of an escape from the pain. Getting the feeling the new installments will be about the redemption of Luke’s character and the development of the new Jedi Order through Rey.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016
    I think that now he's "learned" from his weakness towards Rey, and will seek to kill her. In turn, Rey will see no chance of redemption in Kylo and her views on him will return to what they were in TFA.

The closing of the Falcon's ramp as well as the disappearing dice support that, as the part of Kylo attached to his family and the light side has vanished. and Rey no longer cares about trying to help him. I feel like maybe Luke's ghost will try to persuade her otherwise, assuming he's in IX as well.

Also, I think Hux will be plotting against Kylo to take over the First Order, but there's little to no chance he'll be any match for the new Supreme Leader.

Iron_lord and hermiona52 like this.
  15. zam wesell2005

zam wesell2005 Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 23, 2015
    Wonder if the new Emperor/Vader will actually defeat a lightside force user in these films?

16. ladygrey45

ladygrey45 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 30, 2015
    yeah i feel like Rey has given up on him, and what saved Anakin cant save Kylo the way Anakin turned was for his family verses Kylo hates his. I think he wants to do away with the jedi order but got corrupted by wanting power.

Emperor Ferus likes this.
  17. BalanceOfTheForce

BalanceOfTheForce Jedi Master star 4

Dec 18, 2016
    It sounded like he was already at youngling killing level when Luke thought about killing him

18. MichaelSkellig

MichaelSkellig Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 1, 2017
    The literature for TFA made clear that Kylo is immensely ambitious and sees it as his right and destiny to rule the galaxy. This matches Anakin, who wanted to rule the galaxy, first with Padme and then with Luke. At some point Ben would have to kill Snoke in order to take over. But he needed help to do that, given Snoke's power. Rey offered to help him, and with her power (and the incentive of his strong desire for her), he managed to do the deed. He's succeeded where Anakin failed, but at huge cost - he lost Rey, and now she's a hostile and formidable power at loose in the galaxy.

The irony - I suspect - is that he's perpetuating a cycle of war - dark v light - that is now ready to change. Both he and Rey appear to be a new kind of force-wielder - she's not afraid of the Dark Side and can observe the darkness without being pulled in ("You didn't even fight it!"), and he's dark but constantly seduced towards the light. This is the turning point - when light and dark stop being utterly polarised and constantly at war. Ben got kind of close to recognising that when he made the offer to Rey to rule together without the concept of Sith and Jedi. Rey got close when she told Luke in no uncertain terms that hiding from reality was not an option. The next film will take them all the way, as it were.

19. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    he's insane and evil.

Asajj Ventress, 11-4D and Darth Smurf like this.
  20. La Calavera

La Calavera Force Ghost star 4

Sep 2, 2015
    He wants to kill Star Wars.
    That's all I got.

KSennia, SkywalkerOG and cut-of-space like this.
  21. Kylo Rey

Kylo Rey Jedi Padawan

Dec 15, 2017
    What happened to Kylo's evolution in terms of the Force. He is supposed to become this formidable Super Villain. He starts off well by reading the minds of people and stopping the lightning bolt mid air, but then he got beaten by Rey albeit injured from his fight with Fin and the laser shot he took from Chewbacca

In the TLJ, he is seen muscling Rey for the light saber in the end and it took him time to get through his opponents from the Praetorian guard whereas he is supposed to send them on their knees simply by looking at them due to the pressure of the Force Field oozing from him.

We also dont have much time left as Episode 9 will most probably see his demise. I dont think JJ will handle his character well. He almost messed it up with TFA.

KSennia likes this.
  22. dlbates

dlbates Jedi Master star 4

Nov 30, 2014
    They kept emphasizing how Ren kept growing in the darkside of the force so im sure he will be super powerful in 9. The only thing is personally hunting people down isnt his role anymore. If Abrams is smart he will put some time into developing one or two of the knights of ren.

23. Birkendoc

Birkendoc Chosen One star 4

Sep 20, 2001
    Speaking of the Knights of Ren, Didn't luke say a "handful" of students vanished with Ben the night of the massacre.

Where did they go?

Are they the Knights of Ren?

24. ManWithoutAStar

ManWithoutAStar Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 19, 2017
    That's my take on it as well.

DaddlerTheDalek and dlbates like this.
  25. Birkendoc

Birkendoc Chosen One star 4

Sep 20, 2001
    Right now it's be powerful, because you can't be hurt if you 're the one doing the hurting.

KSennia and spicewood like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.