main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Adam Driver (Kylo Ren) in Episode IX

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Ben-Solo, Dec 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Forum closed [face_laugh]

thejeditraitor likes this.
  2. DARTHSHAME

DARTHSHAME Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2003
    I think ultimately power and control of the galaxy to validate and enhance his self worth.

He does not feel loved. Snoke's fate was sealed when he professed that he had lost confidence in Kylo. He turned when Luke was contemplating killing him (a scene I hate by the way). He felt ignored by his parents.

3. DARTHSHAME

DARTHSHAME Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2003
    I just want Kylo to be more mentally composed. I would like to see a more confident, self assured Kylo as Supreme Leader.
    I think he will become more enraged by the Rebellion and driven to extreme measures.
    I like the idea mentioned by others that he develops the Knights of Ren as a force of fear and oppression. (thinking Knights of the Round table or similar)
    I can see him determined to destroy Rey after she would not join him.
    Since everyone is expecting redemption of Kylo, would be interesting to see him die unrepentant and purely evil.

4. Cyan_Dawn

Cyan_Dawn Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 3, 1999
    TLJ answered this during the flashback scenes: there's basically no reason, Luke simply sensed the growing darkness that was already in him. Technically a story doesn't need to explain why the villain is evil, but it does make Snoke's character obsolete, which is probably why Rian Johnson killed him off.

5. dlbates

dlbates Jedi Master star 4

Nov 30, 2014
    That seems right but Im pretty sure I heard he joined the Knights of Ren after leaving Luke so that makes it sound like they were already a thing. Maybe it was already an established group and Kylo and the others all joined.

6. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    I've said this elsewhere but wouldn't it be thematically inconsistent if Ben was redeemed? They're really going to do another evil Skywalker family redemption story?

7. spicewood

spicewood Jedi Master star 2

Jun 26, 2007
    I loved that Snoke was killed off. Wasn’t ready for that in the second installment. Now, I’ve only seen it once and have been rereading NJO, so I haven’t read the lit surrounding the new movies, so I confess I could have missed something in the film and am certainly ignorant with regard to the books (thought they were all young adult stuff). I like that comically bad, Hux and Snoke are put in their place. I like the complex nature of Ren. I didn’t get the vibe that he was ready to kill younglings, but it seemed really out of character for Luke to kill a family member in their sleep because they might become evil. It was weird. Well, so was his running away and becoming a hermit. This is the dude that never gave up on Vader and went to face Palpatine alone. He doesn’t hide, and he doesn’t kill his nephew in his sleep. Think he saw that in the end and will have more work to do after “death” to fix it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Strategize

Strategize Jedi Master star 3

Dec 18, 2017
    He wants power, and to surpass his grandfather's accomplishments.

But he's also lonely, and wants someone to share it with, which is ultimately want keeps him conflicted and unable to fully embrace the dark side. Just listen to the desperation in his voice when he's begging Rey to join him. He tries to do what his grandfather would do and make her feel worthless to make her join him, but eventually it's just a sad "please".

Jedi Merkurian and RKR like this.
  9. melkor834

melkor834 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 24, 2009
    I don’t think that’s the case anymore. Kylo has struggled under the weight of legacy. First he was the son of the Princes Leia. Then he “became” the nephew of Jedi Hero Luke Skywalker. And even when he breaks away from these legendary family members and joins Snoke, he become “the heir apparent to Lord Vader.” Kylo is always struggling in the shadows of those that came before him. His fear of never being stronger than Vader stems from his fear of never being free of that shadow. And so, in TFA, he emulates Vader and glorifies him.

But by TLJ, he is done with it all. He rejects being a “diet Vader” as seen when he destroys the helmet. And when he kills Snoke, Kylo finally steps out of Vader’s shadow becoming fully his own character. Sure, he is going to have the same goals (rule the galaxy, destroy the Jedi, destroy the Rebels, etc) but he is now doing that for himself not because it’s what his grandfather wanted.

10. Harbour

Harbour Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 15, 2015
    His uncle wanted to murder him in sleep i guess. Thats it.

11. panki

panki Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2016
    I don't know about motivation, but I did spy the first signs of dark side degradation on his face during his duel with Luke. Not a good sign.

afrojedi and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  12. cut-of-space

cut-of-space Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 29, 2017
    Wait like... were his eyes turning eyes yellow & red? I didn't notice, but I would have enjoyed that a lot! What was the degradation you noticed? I am intrigued...

13. panki

panki Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2016
    Nope, not sith eyes...nothing that dramatic. I'm talking about the darkening of his skin around the eye area when he yells at Luke.

14. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    I'm really hoping Ren gets his Knights back together.

15. MichaelSkellig

MichaelSkellig Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 1, 2017
    The reason that TLJ was initially unsettling is because it presented a radical change in what we know about the Force. It's been the same thing - dark v light, Sith v Jedi - for seven films. TLJ showed us a new way of looking at the Force, as something where dark is not to be feared, and light is not a sign of weakness. This was embodied mainly in Rey, who showed her lack of hesitation in going towards the darkness to explore it.

I think this is almost certainly where they're going with this - moving the 'Wars' part of Star Wars away from darkness vs light. Kylo/Ben has represented someone conflicted between the two sides of the Force, with a family terrified by his dark leanings but with him not at ease trying to be all-dark. IX needs to finish the transition by showing him and Rey finding a compromise and kicking off a whole new order. 'Redemption' implies a return to the Light Side (cf Vader, I-VI), and that's not what this trilogy is about.

16. ladygrey45

ladygrey45 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 30, 2015

I think we are going to see Rey tap into the dark side to bring Kylo down.

17. Binary_Sunset

Binary_Sunset Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2000

I actually want Hux to kill Kylo.

KSennia and Jedi of Baker Street like this.
  18. dlbates

dlbates Jedi Master star 4

Nov 30, 2014
    Hux shoots down Ren's ship only for him to be saved by Rey, then they take the first order down together. Sound familiar?

19. Birkendoc

Birkendoc Chosen One star 4

Sep 20, 2001
    I think it may be more about attaining peace within. How do you resolve things that inherently makes someone whom they are? If you can't hack out the light or the dark, how do you find a balance and live in your own skin?

New theology for the force, that is for certain. And something fascinating and worth exploring. Powerful metaphor for accepting who you are even if your family tells you that you were made wrong. If Kylo Ren is a metaphor for the ugliness that sometimes occurs with coming of age, then a potential Balance storyline could serve as a metaphor for resolving one's one identity with such things as sexual orientation, gender identity as well as accepting mental illnesses. We can't change the color of our eyes as much as we can change the other aspects mentioned above. But we can view others with compassion and acceptance instead of shunning them for being different.

20. TimeZone

TimeZone Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 29, 2015

Doesn't seem likely. Kylo was defeated by Rey in the first movie, and saved by her in the second movie...guessing she kicks his ass and finally kills him in the third movie. He was a dumbass for betraying Snoke.

21. Darkspellmaster

Darkspellmaster Jedi Master star 4

Dec 20, 2015
    I'm suspecting that Ben will be pulled back to the light, but only when it's revealed that the FO didn't need him, and that Snoke is alive.

KSennia likes this.
  22. zam wesell2005

zam wesell2005 Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 23, 2015
    As Snoke pointed out, you have already had your ass kicked by somebody who never picked up a lightsaber. If she just does the same thing again, in a different setting. He will go down as possibly the most complex villain, and most pathetic main villain ever in Star Wars.

TimeZone likes this.
  23. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    You all think we'll Ben and Rey continue to talk via the Force in Ep. 9?

24. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    THREAD MERGE.

25. Strategize

Strategize Jedi Master star 3

Dec 18, 2017
    Yes, but less so than TLJ. They'll explain it by having Luke teach Rey how to block him out, but they'll come a point where she needs/wants to speak with him.

cwustudent likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.