main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Adam Driver (Kylo Ren) in Episode VII

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Momotaros, May 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Toonimator

Toonimator Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2006
    Why would Han not know the name of the main enforcer of the First Order has the same name as his son? Many signs also point to Rey being Luke's daughter.

Luke and Leia already have alliterative names as siblings (tho originally they weren't sibs, of course). They're not find repeat that in the ST. And while "Kira" has floated around for awhile, there's NOTHING to suggest it's her "real" name, or that "Rey" is the middle part of her full name. It's simply Jacen/Jaina types linking the rumored Kira with confirmed Rey and matching them with similarly-initialed Kylo Ren. It's one of those "too obvious" things, especially if other "evidence" is tallied up (Ridley's seating in the cast read-thru, her "solitary" clue, 'she looks Padme-esque so she has to be Han & Leia's kid'). Why bother dodging the question at all if all of that really does point to her being a Solo and sibling of Kylo? Oh, and Kylo is sKYwalker + soLO!
    8-}

2. tokilamockingbrd

tokilamockingbrd Jedi Knight star 4

May 12, 2015
    Its possible that this enforcer of the 1st Order is a mysterious guy that people know very little about. Its also possible that he has a moniker he uses as a commander (maybe even Darth Something). There is nothing to suggest everyone knows his name is Kylo Ren. Also, Rey is kind of a weak name for the main character. Kira is better. Its more than possible they stopped using it in promotion because that is not what she calls herself at the start of the movie and it would make the connect too obvious. I mean Kylo Ren, and Kira Rey is pretty freaking similar, and if they want to it to be a surprise for most its better for Rey to not just be hiding from the 1st Order, but us spoiler seekers.

3. tokilamockingbrd

tokilamockingbrd Jedi Knight star 4

May 12, 2015
    So I just had an epiphany that I stated in my OT about ST newcomers dying.

What are the chances Kylo Ren is treated in this Trilogy like Loki is in the MCU. If he is indeed the sibling of the main character the similarities would be there.

Disney saw what a run away success Loki's character has been in MCU, I can seem them trying to replicate that formula with Kylo Ren.

Wildcatbarry likes this.
  4. Wildcatbarry

Wildcatbarry Jedi Master star 4

Jan 23, 2015
    I seem to be ruffling everyone's feathers recently.

Brother Fairlane the same argument could be made for Harrison's own son.

To me he and his own son don't resemble:

[​IMG]

5. Puke-Jaywalker

Puke-Jaywalker Jedi Grand Master star 2

Oct 18, 2004
    That's because his son is a little heavier than Ford ever was and has a goatee.

6. Millennium Fairlane

Millennium Fairlane Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2014
    no worries, dude, you're not ruffling me. I just see stuff like the structure of the zygomatics, the nasals, and wowza, the ear structure which can be very hereditary (among others) that just couldn't come from Harrison Ford (and certainly not if Leia is the mom.) If Han ends up being his dad, it'll be hard for me to suspend disbelief...

7. Wildcatbarry

Jan 23, 2015
    No worries brother Fairlane.

Wasn't directly meaning you only on the ruffled feathers comments.

I had posted some facts and presented a theory on another thread which was met with some agressive disagreement.

We have all (including myself) got to look at the facts and present the best theories based on th os3 facts.

It is all good discussion .

8. Toa Zaz

Toa Zaz Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 20, 2015
    Eh, filmmakers don't really take that level of resemblance into consideration (which is logical, since there aren't many Harrison Ford son look-a-likes running around who can also act and play a Sith Lord or whatever, etc). Driver is white and has dark hair, so for all intents and purposes he passes the muster.

9. Millennium Fairlane

Millennium Fairlane Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2014

Sorry, I missed the aggressive disagreement... wait, I mean I'm not sorry I missed it- if that makes sense.

hang in there... it'll get rougher as time goes by, no doubt.

Wildcatbarry likes this.
  10. Wildcatbarry

Jan 23, 2015
    Thanks budro.

11. not4thethril

not4thethril Jedi Youngling

Dec 8, 2014
    I watched this interview with George Lucas about the PT's and he said each movie echoed the other like poetry (Anakins hand cut off, Lukes Hand cut off, Vaders hand cut off etc...). Do you think there will be a part in the movie where Han says to Kylo Ren " Kylo, I am your father"?

12. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    That would be taking it too far. I'd rather, "Kylo, I'm not your father." A character revealing to their enemy that they're their father would cross the line between an echo and telling the same story twice.

13. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    "solo, i'm your son".

14. Digladio

Digladio Jedi Master star 3

Jan 7, 2003
    "Dad, why'd you give me such a weird first name, and why is my last name Ren instead of Solo?"

15. redlightning

redlightning Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 1, 2014
    Kylo Ren is a fake name he dawned to carry on the persona.

I think Ren is the Solo son. It appears from the latest rumors at an early age he was trained in Luke's Jedi academy, he must have found out about his grandfather's heritage and lusted about the power Darth Vader once had. Despite his great legacy, Ren is weaker than other Jedi or cannot learn the same as other students Luke has brought into the academy.

Because of being supposed weaker, Uber senses this and offers to make Ren as powerful as his grandfather was without having to go through the training of Luke's academy. He gives into the Dark Side and leaves with Uber. Kylo starts serving Uber and helps him gain control over a fragment of the Imperial Remnant called the First Order which he will rule as a figure head for his master. Luke and the other Jedi must try to confront him as he is a grave threat to the Republic. He resents this and in revenge betrays Luke's academy and has it destroyed by the Empire to remove them as a nuisance.

Sensing his failure, Luke goes into exile in the hopes of starting over. This is where Rey and Finn find her in the hopes of encouraging him to return to rebuild the Order.

jc1138, Wildcatbarry and Malak Taus like this.
  16. Palpatine's P.A.

Palpatine's P.A. Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 9, 2014
    How will the other characters refer to him? Lord Ren? Commander Ren? Somehow doesn't sound as intimidating as Vader.

17. redlightning

redlightning Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 1, 2014
    My Lord? Master Ren? You don't have to be a Sith to have those titles.

18. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    donned.

cwustudent likes this.
  19. Wildcatbarry

Jan 23, 2015
    Or Leia tells him "Kylo I am your mother".

20. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    "...and you will listen to me. Or I will pull this car speeder over and..."

21. Wildcatbarry

Jan 23, 2015
    "Find the Ring Lightsaber and kill the one who carries it."

22. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    I'm intrigued by his potential performance in VII, but comparing him to Brando is pretty interesting, can't wait to see this supposed amazing performance.:)

23. Tatooine Twilight Twins

Tatooine Twilight Twins Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    JJ compared Driver to Brando.

Marlon Freakin' Brando!

Even if that is an overenthusiastic overstatement by JJ it is still nonetheless one hell of a compliment. You don't just refer to anyone as Brando.

http://www.starwars.com/news/capturing-a-galaxy-an-interview-with-annie-leibovitz-exclusive

Click the link to the wonderful article that provided those comments from JJ.

Not enough attention is being given to how much Driver is going to rock his role. He's a darling of the critics, some going as far to call him one of the best actors of his generation. Not too long ago I was listening to a SW podcast in which the hosts expressed concerns over the pictures of Driver from VF. They wanted him in a mask because they thought he was more menacing that way. One was tacky enough to suggest he should wear a mask because he didn't have a good-looking face. The consensus was that if he was going to be without a mask in the movie then it should happen in a limited fashion. I disagreed. I think when Diver takes off his mask he will still be as menacing but at the same time very human. I look forward to seeing an actor of his caliber taking on the role of Kylo Ren.

One can be negative about various things that went into the making of TFA, but I don't think casting is one of them.

24. Tatooine Twilight Twins

Tatooine Twilight Twins Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014

How dare you beat me to the Enter button! :mad:

You beat me to the punch by a couple of minutes. :(

starocean90 likes this.
  25. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    oops, I'm sorry.:(
    I did it for Driver, Lupita and Ford since it was about them and to give something to discuss about these actors/characters.

but yours has more soul/heart and effort than mine.^:)^=D=

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.