1. A Warning For Everyone To See:

PT vs. OT vs. ST vs. Anthology (in any combination) debates are not allowed in the New Movies forums. Discussions that descend into OT/PT/ST/Anthology bashing/gushing will be subject to Mod action. Consider this your warning.

Official Info Adam Driver (Kylo Ren) in Episode VIII

Discussion in 'Star Wars: The Last Jedi & IX - Spoilers Allowed' started by RX_Sith, Dec 18, 2015.

1. Darth Nave Jedi Knight

star 4
    From another thread:

I think what Rian Johnson was trying to say is that Kylo Ren suffers from many of the same foibles that real people suffer from (i.e. teenage angst), so he's relatable in the sense that we see our own failings reflected in him and it holds a mirror up to us that asks "what would we look like if we succumbed to them". In that sense, it serves as a cautionary tale that helps us understand why these people became monsters, as well as the darker side of our nature so that we may recognize it and avoid becoming what they became. If we don't face our demons up front, we will never be able to become better ourselves.
    Master_Lok and Darth Mikey like this.
  2. sls062286 Jedi Master

star 4
    I'm using the information we have for now.

I never said it was a simple as "Snoke made him do it". Kylo is clearly very torn, for unknown reasons (unpleasant things on his past, manipulation by Snoke) he thinks that completely embracing the dark side will get rid of the torment he feels. Snoke is the one that planted in his head, that the way to fully embrace the dark side would be to kill his father. Far more complicated than "Snoke made him do it."
    oncafar likes this.
  3. Aetius888 Jedi Master

star 1

Han was an enemy combatant setting explosives in the building where Kylo and his me were located. Kylo not only had the right to kill him. He had the duty to kill him.
  4. oncafar Jedi Master

star 5
    and with that attitude kylo will storm into the detention cell leia's being held in and awkwardly address her as general organa.
    Last edited by oncafar, Sep 4, 2017
  5. JoJoPenelli Force Ghost

star 5
    I guess if you betrey your family and ally with an evil force that wants your family dead, you have no other choice then to kill your family as enemy combatents. Thay's war; what can you do....

ETA: Snark aside - I don't think Kylo's actions toward Han had much to do with the FO.
    Last edited by JoJoPenelli, Sep 4, 2017
  6. Wrenegade Jedi Knight

star 3
    The Last Jedi Exclusive: Rian Johnson Talks Snoke And Kylo Ren

panki likes this.
  7. zam wesell2005 Jedi Knight

star 3
    If only Johnson turned Kylo into Vader, pre ROTJ. Him saying that though, makes me think redeem.
  8. Ben-Solo Jedi Knight

star 3
    With the release of the NYTimes interview with Rian Johnson "two halves of the protagonist" statement how will Kylo be redeemed? Because the way the article states things it seems not only likely but all but assured. Does he save Luke and Rey, just one of them or is it his mother Leia Organa he saves?
  9. oncafar Jedi Master

star 5
    i would actually love it if rey and kylo balance the force together. and kylo doesn't die either. kylo is like this piece in the balance clockwork that got shot out of its proper orbit (leia's ring suddenly comes to mind). rey needs to put the clockwork back together. when she does, snoke will be the one that shoots out of orbit (mr. clockwork corrupter).
  10. Chewies_bandolier Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    ^ (please forgive me) sort of like poetry .. or perhaps a song? LIke one of ice and fire ?

(yep. Kylo ain't no Vader in Rian's film)
    Darth Gummybear and oncafar like this.
  11. Adept Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    His father was offering Kylo a way out and away from an illegal organization that had violated the Galactic Concordance, enslaved children, and built a super weapon design to kill planets. Kylo choose to go with the illegal organizations whose crimes are only mounting by the hour.
    godisawesome and JoJoPenelli like this.
  12. MagnarTheGreat Jedi Master

star 4
    Kylo Ren has done a lot more evil than just patricide. That was just one of the more recent things.

There can be no atonement without punishment and sacrifice.

At least there shouldn't be.
    nightangel likes this.
  13. JoJoPenelli Force Ghost

star 5
    I think they have a realistic view of things:

[IMG]

That being said, I have no doubt that Kylo will be seen as MUCH more sympathetic after TLJ, once we get some backstory.
  14. Starwarsfan9000 Jedi Knight

star 3
    What Kylo needed on his side was an Uncle Iroh figure to serve as the only person who cares for him who he is on speaking terms with and is partnered with to serve as the opposite to Snoke's Ozai (I know I'm comparing another one of Mark Hamill's roles here) to set Kylo up as the trilogy's Prince Zuko. Sort of.

I don't know if you could parallel their stories but one way or another when it comes to the family who becomes evil in this trilogy there's always a redemption. It would have been a twist on the story and more in line with Jacen Solo if he remained a villain and died one but they aren't going to go with something unexpected for the ending.

They want to wrap it up but probably will find some way to leave it open for another trilogy of films. Whether that will follow Rey, Finn, Kylo etc. we don't know but I imagine they'd continue to play a part since these will be the next generation going forward. Then in 30s we'll see them do the same thing probably. It's like poetry it rhymes.
  15. nonesuch Jedi Master

star 4
    Hot Toys Kylo Ren from The Last Jedi has started going up on selling sites, and it's a truly beautiful figure:

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
  16. JoJoPenelli Force Ghost

star 5
    Oh my bleeping god O___O
  17. Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Kylo looks great against those Praetorian Guards. That scene's going to be a visual treat.
    Last edited by Gigoran Monk, Sep 7, 2017
  18. themoth Jedi Master

star 4
    I think it's fascinating how Kylo sees Vader, the Jedi killing monster, as the true incarnation of his father who was weak and neglected his duty by turning back to the light. Technically Vader and Anakin are seperate people. But I think this takes it to another level. The truth is that Anakin is the true incarnation of himself and he became selfish.
    Last edited by themoth, Sep 7, 2017
  19. zam wesell2005 Jedi Knight

star 3
    He looks good there. I know those are Snoke's, but wonder if the climax is Rey and Luke taking on Kylo and those red things.
  20. Birkendoc Purveyor of ST Trivia

Game Host
    star 4
    There's also the possibility that it's Kylo and Rey vs. the Praetorians. We have that BTS video of both Adam and Daisy practicing fighting against numerous combatants with staffs/long stick things.
  21. zam wesell2005 Jedi Knight

star 3
    Training vs fighting, probably.
  22. Ben-Solo Jedi Knight

star 3
    He's wearing a cape and it's different from Force Awakens I wonder if he may have traveled to Mustafar; where possibly his grandfather's extra attire was (i.e. Cape)
  23. Imperial Reject Jedi Master

star 4
    I hope we get a confrontation between Nephew and Uncle

[IMG]
  24. JoJoPenelli Force Ghost

star 5
    The money I'd pay to see something like this:

[IMG]
  25. RandomGreyJ Jedi Knight

star 3
    I knew it!
    Luke is a Kenobi = confirmed! All those people who laughed at my LuKenobi theory must feel pretty dumb right about now.
    Last edited by RandomGreyJ, Sep 7, 2017
    jaqen likes this.