main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Adam Driver (Kylo Ren) in the ST

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by RX_Sith, Dec 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    His visual progression towards Vader.

2. ThreeDeathstickProblem

ThreeDeathstickProblem Force Ghost star 5

Sep 25, 2014
    He went from a masked Vadery monstah to unmasked with an Anakin-esque scar and look. If anything, Kylo seems to be regressing in his Vader cosplay.

3. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    But it’s not so simple. He now has a Vadery cape, and he’s dropped the robes and long tunic. So his body looks more Vadery in TLJ than it did in TFA.

All that’s left to be Vaderized is his helmetless head. Get it done, JJ!

4. Siphonophore

Siphonophore Chosen One star 4

Nov 13, 2003
    Maybe Kylo's TIE Silencer will crash into Crait. He ejects from the ship and lands on the powdery white surface, but not deep enough to scratch the red. His face will be all cornstarchy like Anakin at the end of ROTJ. And then in IX, he has a Jake Lloyd bowl cut.

Gigoran Monk likes this.
  5. ThreeDeathstickProblem

ThreeDeathstickProblem Force Ghost star 5

Sep 25, 2014
    They resemble Anakin's ROTS robes as much or more than Vader's. Vader's was a life-support machine for a half-cyborg man. Kylo has no such dehumanization accoutrements, and to reiterate, his slighter scar and less-coiffed hairstyle are obvious and (IMO) deliberate callbacks to Anakin. One other thing, Vader has a long tunic under his cape. Kylo's TLJ tunic is short, like Anakin's.

Plus, in TLJ he's going to destroy his mask. So he goes mask, unmasked, new mask? I don't think so. I expect the moment he destroys the mask is a definitive break with the Vader cosplay and a first step in becoming his own man. What that man is, good, evil or somewhere in between, we'll see.

6. Iceko

Iceko Jedi Master star 2

Feb 29, 2016

It could go either way.. Kylo could also experience some stuff in TLJ that would actually make him more Vader and renounce the light competely. It doesn't look likely but it could happen. He could be conflicted the entire movie but do something in the end that he cant come back from. Maybe he kills Luke. Maybe he kills Snoke and takes over. Maybe he does get horribly deformed? Maybe by using lightning. Who knows :p

[​IMG]

7. Doom_Buggy

Doom_Buggy Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 2, 2016
    That image looks like Marilyn Manson, not as much like Driver.

I think Kylo will probably be redeemed in some way because otherwise it's too much tragedy for Leia, but I think there's always a possibility he could go full dark too. If he does, I'd prefer he not be a deformed Vader clone. I'd rather he be something never seen in SW before.

Heck, as blank slate as Snoke is, aesthetically he looks totally new. He's decrepit, but he's got that creepy elongated and lithe physique. Plus his style is new with the capris, gold robe and slippers. Maybe Kylo could take up his style if he kills him and takes his place. Now THAT would be something new.

8. Iceko

Iceko Jedi Master star 2

Feb 29, 2016

Yeah that pic is obviously over the top. But we just have no clue where Kylo is headed after he most likely visits our Jedi at Ahch-To. We don't know what his goals are after that and we don't know what his mind-set will be. And honestly, I really like that. Could turn out to be a very exciting and surprising ending to the film as far as he's concerned..

Doom_Buggy likes this.
  9. JoJoPenelli

JoJoPenelli Chosen One star 6

Aug 14, 2000
    Imho, if a villain states “I feel it again. The pull to the light.” and his mother states “There’s still light in him.”....

That’s the storyteller practically breaking the 4th wall and telling us the guy will be redeemed.

He can subsaquently do nasty awful things, but we’ve basically been told the endgame.

That being said...the worse the crimes, the longer the arc. And I DO think Kylo will get darker before he finally returns to the light. I can’t see Kylo switching sides in TLJ.

10. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    Oh, I suspect as much as well. Just saying that he’s still a bit of a visual muddle, and despite the loss of a mask, looks sharper and less raggedy than TFA Kylo. Which is more straight-laced Vader/ Anakin and less robed, monkish warrior.

Man, in TFA they should have foreshadowed Kylo’s future with a Jake Lloyd bowl cut.

Kylo: I’ll try killing my dad - that’s a good trick!

Xael likes this.
  11. Diminished Comet

Diminished Comet Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 27, 2017
    I think Kylo's helmet is going to get smashed early on in the film

I can't see him getting mutilated any further (at least not in the face).

In theory the scar Rey gave him should have left much more of a nasty mark on his face than what we're getting in TLJ. Even though Rian said he moved the scar to stop it looking goofy, they could have still made it look more prominent and monstrous. They've purposely kept him looking pretty and human.

Conflicted and sad looking, not mechanical and evil

[​IMG]

He is not going to be Darth Vader 2.0. It's like he is currently at the point where Anakin was in ROTS, but he is going back to the light rather than falling into complete darkness.

12. The PiedPiper of Alderaan

The PiedPiper of Alderaan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 16, 2015
    OR...they made us believe he's gonna find redemption in the end, and because of that (the pull to the light, Leia talking about what's left of the light in him) we think it's gonna be a Vader scenario again. And maybe yes we start seeing Kylo doubting about what he is doing as a dark sider user and then....in ep9 after some time of confusion when we think he's "going back home" he eventually falls completly to the dark side once and for all and is killed off/captured unredeemed when everyone in the audience would have tought that wouldn't be the case. In that case it's a very dark, pessimistic ending considering the death of Han and -possibly- Leia.

13. JoJoPenelli

Aug 14, 2000
    I don’t see them doing Westworld-level misdirection in these movies.

Imo, those statements are some of the clearest examples of foreshadowing I’ve seen in a movie, bar none.

And I say this as someone who walked out of TFA thinking that Kylo was a bratty, entitled a-hole manchild who deserved no sympathy at all.

(Obviously my view of him has softened since then!)

14. The PiedPiper of Alderaan

Sep 16, 2015
    you might be right. I think everything is possible with this character and this is what is so exciting about him IMO. Vader's redemption is like a trope now. So they have to play with that. They are fully aware of that. It's iconic. Now we have another "evil" Skywalker (although very unsure and confused).. Will they apply this trope with a twist? Will they do it in the same exact way? (hope not) or will they turn the trope upside down? i really have no clues, i just think of all the possibilities. I think that Kylo becoming "a bit more good" before falling to the dark side again in the end is a possibility. But it would be a bit pessimistic for a SW movie IMO. The question is: how to handle such a classic/iconic trope??? how to offer something different and yet that feels like SW?? i'm very cirious to see what they are going to do with his character.

15. JoJoPenelli

Aug 14, 2000
    My personal spec is that we’ll see him arrive on Achoo with the hopes of getting Rey on his side. But in her fury at him she’ll harshly reject him and that will send him careening back into the dark in a way killing his father didn’t. (My idea is that killing Han didn’t “work” because Kylo knew his father loved him unconditionally. But Kylo reaching out to someone for the first time in forever - someone he cares about - and getting the door slammed in his face? Different story.)

But I think Rey will find out about Kylo’s situation and also begin to remember how he once was. TLJ will thus end witg Kylo ina horrible state but the groundwork for hos redemption in 9 will be firmly planted.

This spec obviously presumes that Rey knew Kylo when he was still Ben, and that she regains her pre-Jakku memories. While I’m Reysky, I do not believe this scenario *requires* a blood relationship.

16. KyloAwakens

KyloAwakens Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 12, 2015
    I'm calling redemption in 9 ending in some sort of sacrificial death. LFL has said that episode 9 will wrap up the Skywalker saga. So Kylo will very likely die and so will Luke.

17. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    While for episode 7 they were pushing him as the next vader i get the feeling he is actually more anakin now then Vader.

With the helmet on you don't see the conflict but without it you can see it all in him.

Not having the helmet humanises him more and since he is the son of Leia and Han they obviously won't treat him like any average bad guy.

18. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    edit

Birkendoc likes this.
  19. The PiedPiper of Alderaan

Sep 16, 2015
    Yes, in TFA it feels like Ben/Kylo uses the mask to emphasize his Vader-esque persona, the cold, faceless monster of the dark side... but Vader was REALLY Vader if you know what I mean. In TFA, as the movie progresses, we find out that Kylo Ren doesn't really exist, it's just Ben trying to be "Kylo Ren, heir to Vader. Without the mask in TLJ i'm sure we'll see an even more conflicted/disturbed Kylo Ren/Ben Solo, trying to prove his commitment to Snoke in the first part of the movie but deep inside emotionally haunted by his patricide. What he's gonna do with these opposite feelings and being "torn apart" in the movie, this i don't know but everything is possible and if RJ had such fun writing his character then we might get something very interesting...

Wouldn't that be an exact copy of Vader's own redemption? the last minute sacrifice? JJ is fullly aware of the criticism about TFA being too close to past SW movies. If i were him, i would try to avoid this situation the next time i get to direct a SW saga movie :)

11-4D and themoth like this.
  20. MadBoomBoom

MadBoomBoom Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 1, 2017
    Yawn. Another redemption story. Why not have Kylo Ren kill Snoke and become the new villain? Why not have Ren do what Vader couldn't.?

21. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    I'm pretty sure we will see this.

22. Diminished Comet

Sep 27, 2017

And maybe Rey will turn on Luke and help him take over? Masters vs their apprentices

It's pretty wide-open where they could go with Kylo. He's not a bog-standard villain and Adam Driver is such a great actor.

He is the character I am most excited about in the sequel trilogy. I can't wait to see him again in December

23. zam wesell2005

zam wesell2005 Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 23, 2015
    That makes too much sense for Disney, maybe. Then they would have an actor as the main bad, not some cgi guy in a gold robe. Just let Driver, be a badass.

24. MadBoomBoom

MadBoomBoom Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 1, 2017
    What if Kylo loses his outfit and wears the golden robe?

25. Diminished Comet

Sep 27, 2017

Oh wow... I'd like to see that ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.