main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Adam Driver (Kylo Ren) in the ST

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by RX_Sith, Dec 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ruffmeian

Ruffmeian Jedi Master star 3

Dec 19, 2015
    That was the intent of it, though. You were supposed to get the impression that it could malfunction at any time- that it wasn't so stable (like it's user!).

But Rey trashed it anyways. So it'll be remade better than before, I imagine.

2. Anleifr

Anleifr Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 17, 2015
    Adam Driver was phenomenal in this film! I loved his acting, him and Daisey were both great.

3. Anleifr

Dec 17, 2015
    I believe he already knows. Someone posted the page from the book with the dialogue between snoke and kylo that happened just before the scene in the movie when snoke was talking to kylo about killing han. That dialogue states snoke telling or asking kylo that the reson the empire fell was because of vadars switch to the light and not killing or allowing Luke to be killed.

4. Anleifr

Dec 17, 2015
    thats how it tied in with snoke talking to kylo about killing his own father.

5. Crimson_Guard975

Crimson_Guard975 Jedi Master star 1

Sep 17, 2014
    I doubt he'll get one, no real point in changing his name in the middle of the trilogy. Snoke might have a "Darth" name that we learn in Ep 8, but I get the impression that he thought Palpatine and Dooku were idiots, and I wouldn't be surprised if his motivations were more in line with Kreia or Vergere.

6. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    If I remember correctly
    It's stated that Kylo sees Anakin's redemption as one "flaw" on an otherwise stellar Dark Side career. Also he worships Vader, not Anakin.

DarthC3PO and Chewies_bandolier like this.
  7. Chewies_bandolier

Chewies_bandolier Force Ghost star 4

May 5, 2002
    He is ambitious and really really wants to be the big important overlord of the galaxy like grandfather was .. I don't know but I'm getting a whiff of Michael Corleone round about now..

Big Boss likes this.
  8. LBoogie0617

LBoogie0617 Jedi Youngling

Dec 22, 2015
    Kylo Ren is the one character that I just didn't like. He felt more like a whiney boo hoo I didn't get my way child than he did of a dark lord leader. It just wasn't believable that such an emo teenager has the position he does. I felt like they still could've found ways to show his struggle with light/dark side and vulnerabilities and have made him one bad mofo. He had so much potential to be an awesome character but he ends up being my least favorite.

Merric likes this.
  9. Merric

Merric Jedi Master star 3

Jan 26, 2013
    I agree. To me, it felt like they tried to hard to make him like a ep3 Anakin, but unlike Anakin who had 3 movies to evolve, Kylo Ren's entire character was just thrown at us. We were suppose to believe he was some deep, emotionally conflicted character when all he ended up looking like was some whiny teenager who hates it when he doesn't get his way. Really disappointed with him so far.

10. dlbates

dlbates Jedi Master star 4

Nov 30, 2014
    He
    stopped blaster bolts in midair plus had the meanest force choke I have ever seen. Vader also had hissyfits when he was young. He also had a lot more personality than Vader. JJ said we will see him going through changes, this is just the beginning.

Rimfaxe96 and Big Boss like this.
  11. LBoogie0617

LBoogie0617 Jedi Youngling

Dec 22, 2015
    In the OT when Vader strolls in the opening scene there is no doubt that he is someone to be feared. He's strong, confident and evil. His troops both fear and respect him. I guess I just wanted to get that same vibe off Kylo Ren. I wanted him to be scary and intimidating. I read someone estimated his age should be 29 or 30. I would assume by this time even the most conflicted of us would be past the whining temper tantrums. Maybe they wanted us to feel sorry for him and went overboard. The good news is they left a lot of room for his character to grow. I wanted to be awed by him and a little afraid. He seems more like a depressed kid that would be living in his mom's basement. I just don't like whining in my supervillians.

KSennia likes this.
  12. dlbates

Nov 30, 2014
    I think he'll be the first guy not above the age of 60 to use force lightning in the movies. I also found his tantrums hilarious, they weren't as pathetic as Anakin's. No tears and talking about things being unfair.

13. Ruffmeian

Ruffmeian Jedi Master star 3

Dec 19, 2015
    I think the big difference is Vader is like... 50 if I remember correctly in ANH? He also had to be completely annihilated in order to get his emotions in check and have that absolute calmness about him.

I think what people are inferring as "whiney-ness" is more that he's quite literally insane. He's unhinged. Most of the Sith (yes, I know he's not one) have that silent movement about them and Kylo seems much more aggressive than usual. He IS Han's son- who has a very charismatic personality. And Leia is very outspoken. You want to show some type of correlation to that.

But I agree. He has a lot of room to grow. I'm excited.

14. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Eh, but wouldn't that stop Kylo's Vader obsession dead in it's tracks? Ghost Anankin shows up, "Hey Kylo I hate to break it to you but you've got it all wrong. It was wrong of me to turn to the dark side. Give it up."

Where would they go from there?

Force22 likes this.
  15. The Regular Mustache

Dec 22, 2015
    Speaking of his his injuries, I like that he'll have a more legit reason to wear that mask now.

16. dlbates

Nov 30, 2014
    I wonder if he still has the mask. He might show up with a new one or show off the new scar. Jedi chicks dig scars.

Aayla_Amidala likes this.
  17. ArchStanton1862

ArchStanton1862 Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 18, 2014
    I'm betting we'll see Kylo kill Snoke, not in a Vader vs. Palpatine sort of way, but in order to take over his position. Snoke's using him because he's powerful. As soon as he fulfills his purpose, in this case keeping Luke busy or distracted, Snoke will need to find a way to have him killed. Kylo knows this and will act first, taking over the First Order by the end of VIII, defeating Rey in battle, and being in a position to do some serious damage in IX.

18. The Regular Mustache

Dec 22, 2015
    I'm betting his helmet gets a bit of an update.

19. dlbates

Nov 30, 2014
    I hope he doesn't make it look more like Vader's.....

20. The Regular Mustache

Dec 22, 2015
    I wonder if well get a scene in Ep. 8 or Ep.9 where Kylo and Rey face off against each other and Kylo says something to the effect of, "I'm going to cut you down just like I did to...your mother" and then Rey loses it and lashes out.

21. Big Boss

Big Boss Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 16, 2015

are these officially confirmed ages? Rey has said in an interview that Finn and Rey are the same age, and i can only imagine Kylo being 26 max.. curious is all, although i think we wont get true ages until the ST is over.

the EU novels and comics have been playing up the "innocent people on both sides" thing, so that makes a lot of sense in-universe for Kylo to think the same. he even mentions it once or twice in TFA saying to Rey in the torture chamber, just before he reveals himself by taking his mask off, something like "you're sided with murderers, thieves and .." something like that. adds a lot imo, compared to the OT especially where the Empire were clearly painted in black and the resistance in white, with characters like Han and Lando falling into the grey area.

lets not forget JJ's most recent comments on Kylo, that is, that this is our introduction to him, star wars had the greatest villain of all time in Darth Vader and now hes got to back that up somehow, so he's showing us the roots of what will ultimately be a very evil villain, and what better way to do that by killing one of the greatest, most beloved characters in Han Solo. obviously with he added weight of it being his father, which does add a lot imo.

while i think thats quite a high possibility, i just dont see them losing the mask. ive seen the movie twice now, and one part that sticks out to me, especially when we are referring to masks = hidden identities/fear tactics/recalling Vader.. is that scene where Ren is speaking with Snoke before Hux comes barging in, Kylo looks back as hux is walking in (hes unmasked at this point) and quickly looks back to the front, as if hux hasnt seen him before without his mask, as if it was embarassing for him to be seen.. by no means does it rule it out, just a tid bit i thought id mention. also, the scar now, you'd think that he would want that covered? and he is still quite youthful looking, im not so sure even Snoke would want him walking about without the mask on, but atm, i also see your point so id say its 50/50, also, Driver apparently didnt like working with the mask.

Force22 and Allana_Rey like this.
  22. MattOrgana

MattOrgana Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2015

The information on the ages comes from official sources (Pablo Hidalgo and the visual dictionary).

Big Boss likes this.
  23. Mungo Baobab

Mungo Baobab Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 2, 2014
    Here's something I've been wondering about...

On Starkiller Base, Kylo Ren immediately recognises Luke's lightsaber. What's more, he says it belongs to him. So he's seen it before, and it may well once have been bequeathed to him.

We know that there was an extended flashback scene that showed the journey of the saber after Bespin. I wonder if it may be one of the artifacts that Lor San Tekka tracked down for Luke? Luke may have given it to his nephew, feeling that he was the natural heir to it.

However, we knew that the saber itself has a checkered history. In fact, just as the visual dictionary says that Snoke believes Kylo to have the potential for both light and dark, this also describes the saber. It was Anakin's when he fell to the Dark Side, just as it was Luke's when he fought against his father. It carries both sides of the Force within it...

...which leads me to Snoke. Some folks have speculated that the visions and communications that Kylo believes that he receives from Vader's helmet, actually come from Snoke. As we know from the novel that Snoke has been manipulating Kylo "from the shadows" since he was a small boy, I think that this theory is entirely plausible. So Snoke may be able to see, and communicate through the Dark Side. In particular, through those objects and places that the Dark Side has left it's mark on. They've referenced this idea quite a bit in the comics and books recently ( the Lando comic, Leia sensing Maul in the hangar on Naboo ), and in essence it goes all the way back to the cave in ESB.

So what I'm getting at is; could Snoke's foot through the door into the life of Ben Solo have been through the Bespin saber? Communicating with the young Jedi through the saber from an early age? If it was, where does this leave Rey ?

Darth Jatar, dlbates, Force22 and 2 others like this.
  24. Big Boss

Sep 16, 2015

I agree. To me, it felt like they tried to hard to make him like a ep3 Anakin, but unlike Anakin who had 3 movies to evolve, Kylo Ren's entire character was just thrown at us. We were suppose to believe he was some deep, emotionally conflicted character when all he ended up looking like was some whiny teenager who hates it when he doesn't get his way. Really disappointed with him so far.[/quote]

i honestly couldnt disagree more. i get it, different tastes etc etc. but from JJ's comments, how this is the start of a new trilogy, the obvious parallel but swapped between Luke's character and Ren, the Vader fan boy thing, the grandson of a Skywalker, the familial conflict, the Snoke brainwashing/indoctrination, i could go on... i do understand the 'whiney' complaints, similarly to how i understood them on Anakin's PT character, but i simply think its justified. no one was going to match up to Vader's menacing character. hell, some even think that hes not that menacing anymore when you go watch the PT and then watch the OT. im not one of those people however. i think its silly to have these pre-conceived opinions and expectations.
    i think they really nailed it. he is 100% the most interesting, conflicted, fully rounded character in the movie. Poe/Finn come in second for me. sure, he has a few outbursts, which may seem 'whiney', 'naive', etc, but thats all showing his character. he's the son of Leia and Han, heir to Vader, and the dark side is in him. hes young, bullish, over-confident, and this is only our introduction to him. to the bolded part, really though? a young dude that is reminscent of Anakin in appearance, is going to be able to show struggle with the light and dark yet still be a bad mofo? i dont think star wars has nailed that once, minus that 1 minute scene at the end of ROTJ which had two movies behind to set it up. the second bolded part, they kind of go hand in hand dont they? he was conflicted (that scene with the mask, the Han death scene) and all dark side users hate it when they dont get their way. sure, this is coming from someone that absolutely loved the character and the potential for the character is ridiculous, coupled with Driver's acting ability.. but it seems all the stuff you mentioned you wanted is actually there, but that there was also some things you didnt want that were there too. JJ's comments went something like this : Vader was the best villain ever, i have to back that up.. so hes showing us the inverse of Luke, a similarity to Anakin, with Vader's like-for-like appearance. the heroes journey, flipped.

Ruffmeian and dlbates like this.
  25. Big Boss

Sep 16, 2015
    @Mungo Baobab
    interesting theory! would need a lot of explaining though

i think this too, he was literally told this by Han before his death too. he is unhinged, aggressive, emotional, but i dont think hes as dumb as what potentially they tried to show him to be. the next movie will certainly give us a clearer indication where he'll end up.. the beating he received may actually change him considerably. theres a lot of room for movement with his character and ultimately, where they decide to bring us, the audience, into the next movie (where events left us, a few months after TFA, a year?) will be an even bigger indication. Snoke seems powerful in the force, but weak physically. it does seem as though Kylo and Snoke have met in person before, and he very well may be the only person to have done so, at least in recent times. the whole projection thing is obviously over-compensatory. i think we'll have a more calculating Kylo, JJ has alluded to such, a growing Kylo/Ben. i would love for him to wipe Snoke out, take over the FO, where Vader never quite succeeded in that aspect. i also dont mind whether or not he does aspire to be Sith. it would be interesting if he doesnt, and depending on the reasons behind that could work really well, but i think a return to Sith is quite likely, especially with Kylo implying he wanted to train Rey. theres a few other minor details in the movie that show that Kylo isnt JUST a youthful, impressionable, naive guy. the chats with Hux, the exchange with Han, the exchange's with Rey. im excited just talking about it lol.
    would love to see Kylo take the thrown of Snoke, and depending on how its done could be a really big game changer.

morrison85 and Ruffmeian like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.