main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Adam Driver (Kylo Ren) in the ST

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by RX_Sith, Dec 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. obi-arin-kenobi

obi-arin-kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 10, 2005
    It is fitting, as well.

Lucas shows the fall of anakin. The ot represents
    After TFA came out I joked that Disney is making their version of the prequels.

2. VanLiz

VanLiz Jedi Master star 1

Apr 13, 2002
    I love his delivery of that line about the Falcon. He's losing it here. When he saw Luke and kept saying "more" while clenching his fist he'd completely lost it.

Ren has a lot of resentment for the men in his life, his father and father figures. He kills two of them and tries with all the resources at his disposal to kill the third. He doesn't seem to resent the women in his life as much. Rey keeps trying to kill him but he doesn't resent her, at least not until she rejects him. He wouldn't fire on Leia when he could have.

Ren and Luke didn't spend enough time together in this. I can imagine the sass he's going to give Ghost Uncle Luke in the next movie. It's going to be fun.

SateleNovelist11 and Revanfan1 like this.
  3. VanLiz

Apr 13, 2002
    I think this is his final iteration too. In The Force Awakens he is trying to be something he is not, his grandfather. In The Last Jedi, he's through with that. He has embraced the Dark and is going to be himself, not some imitation of someone else.

4. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    I second what you said. I always took it that Ren felt some abandonment issues related to Leia and Han, but he wasn't fully aware of it. With Luke, he looked upon him as a competitor he wanted to outdo. That's the way I look at it. I sometimes read a bit of Jacen Solo/Caedus into Kylo Ren, but not much. I think they're similar, but Ren was created to correct the mistake of Darth Caedus. Darth Caedus learning from Lumiya and Vergere was a great idea. It was just poorly executed by certain authors. I believe they're trying to make Ren more accessible to a larger audience by leaving some to the eye of the beholder.

We'll see if they succeed with this ambition. But we know Adam Driver is a very, very skilled actor, and much like Daisy Ridley, he breathes life into the writing. I actually would agree with some people like Anakinfan that the writing was subpar. I prefer the acting over the story in many respects, but in my headcanon and my EU headcanon, I try to go off of how the story is presented by actors and writers rather than the intention of the businessmen. That's just me. I still love the movie, though. The main problem is Luke not being proactive. Yoda and Obi-Wan exiled themselves for a specific plan. Luke didn't have a plan other than self-termination. But fortunately, he was able to talk himself out of that. I still don't know whether to compare him to Diogenes.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
  5. Harbour

Harbour Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 15, 2015
    Unpopular opinion here but i just watched the Paterson and it just solidified what i think about Driver in SW - his mimic and voice just look and sound wooden to me.
    It doesnt click with me, like, at all.
    I thought his over the top tense tone of voice was just the SW feature, but he does the same one in Paterson and that TV show i forgot the title of.
    The same comes to mimic.
    In almost every scene where he needs to show the emotions it looks like he doesnt know how to work with the muscles so he works with all of them at the same time.
    That makes his acting look and sound solid as the concrete wall, sorry for that analogy.

wobbits likes this.
  6. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    Nothing wrong with unpopular opinions, Harbour. I can see why his emotive voice can be viewed as wooden. When Ren says, "Push through," in TLJ, I see him as a man in his late 20s acting like a child, as Snoke would put it. But other people might mistake that as wooden. I take it as his insecurity ruling his emotions.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
  7. VanLiz

Apr 13, 2002
    His hair is gorgeous, like a Breck girl's hair. (Breck made hair care products used in the 1930's to 1981. Cheryl Tiegs, Brooke Shields, Cybil Shepherd and Christie Brinkley were Breck girls). I'm dating myself.

8. Ruffmeian

Ruffmeian Jedi Master star 3

Dec 19, 2015
    Nah, I mean, it’s an opinion and we all have them, right? Something about him just doesn’t speak to you and that happens. I think actors expect not to hit every single audience member with their intended portrayal- even if they wish they could.

9. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    So if his hair is gorgeous, mine is too. Thanks for the compliment. :D

RiddleMeThis and VanLiz like this.
  10. TheGhostOfZero

TheGhostOfZero Jedi Master star 2

Sep 5, 2016
    My only gripe with this being his final design is that, it's not very unique. Villain wearing the all-black version of what the hero typically wears with a scar in a typical spot. You've probably heard it before, and that's what Kylo is right now, with the only thing really standing out is his lightsaber.

Vader in comparison is probably the pinnacle of Star Wars character design with his trademark breathing, cyborg prosthetics, and helmet. Kylo's design doesn't really have anything on that level, it still feels somewhat incomplete to me. If at the end of EPIX he loses an arm and survives the trilogy, I think that would do it, even if it would be trending familiar ground.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
  11. Tzeen

Tzeen Jedi Knight

Jan 7, 2018
    I think a previous post was written about how during any scene with kylo ren aka driver, the focus is completely on him from the viewer. Omg I cannot second this enough. I have to go back and watch it a second and third time to figure out the scene because I’m just constantly intoxicated by his character/performance. He definitely has a pull which makes me seek out and watch everything he’s ever been in not to mention going back to each of his SW scenes over and over and falling in a trance even more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. Ruffmeian

Ruffmeian Jedi Master star 3

Dec 19, 2015
    I always like the all black look. Anakin’s ROTS is my favorite outfit in the whole series, followed closely by Luke’s in ROTJ. But Vader is a big, clunky machine. It was out of necessity- and I think they intentionally try not to top a unique design like Vader because they know they can’t. And really, he wasn’t meant to be that way. With Kylo, part of his appeal, is that he’s this dark prince with a really powerful force connection. He’s not supposed to be deformed or scary, he’s human, and normal looking and still fully capable of all of these atrocious acts. And we’re supposed to make that connection, I think. Is he fully villain? Is he part of our protagonist? He’s conflicted, and that shows in every part of his image.

13. JoJoPenelli

JoJoPenelli Chosen One star 6

Aug 14, 2000
    Hm. For me, it felt emotionally flat relative to his TFA performance. But I sensed this weird emotional flatness in the actors’ line delivery fairly often in TLJ, including in scenes where I was pretty sure more emotion was intended. And this is relative to what I saw in TFA, so I feel it may be something to do with RJ’s directing? I don’t think all or even most of the dialogue was delivered this way, either, so I don’t just chalk it up to RJ’s style.

14. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    It was intended to be a much darker film than TFA. TFA was meant to be pretty light hearted movie with an overall positive vibe. My take is that the delivery was just in line with what the mood of the film was intended to be,

oncafar likes this.
  15. episodenone

episodenone Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 13, 2001
    Just reading the Snoke thread but figured this belonged here.

When I was growing up with Vader in the OT [I was in my 20's for the PT] I always had this feeling that Vader [and thus the Emperor] could quite literally have taken out the Entire Rebellion or an entire population or roll thru a city or... just essentially a singular force for mass destruction.
    I just don't feel that same sense with Kylo.
    Not to say he couldn't effortlessly do it - but I have yet to grasp what the GFFA thought of Snoke in general -- or if the general population even knows who Kylo is or what happened at the New Jedi Academy or what.

16. DarthTalonx

DarthTalonx Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2014
    Good scene on hesitating and then stopping himself killing his mother

17. BunRunner

BunRunner Jedi Padawan

May 16, 2017
    I love the development of Kylo's character. Right from the start we see him belittled and humiliated by Snoke. Even though he's a heartless murderer I couldn't help but feel sympathy? I give Rian a lot of credit for creating that feeling. I didn't think I would have anything close to sympathy for Kylo - EVER.

18. milena

milena Jedi Master star 3

Jan 5, 2018
    Kylo is a fascinating character and imo, the best written character in this trilogy. It's understandable that the writers spend so much time on fleshing this character out, not just because of his heritage, but also because of Adam who is a great actor. No wonder Kathleen was so keen on getting Adam for this role.

19. Aetius888

Aetius888 Jedi Master star 2

May 23, 2005
    http://reverseshot.org/reviews/entry/2403/star_wars_last_jedi

20. Tzeen

Tzeen Jedi Knight

Jan 7, 2018
    I don’t know if anyone’s brought this up before but....

Midichlorian...

Chlorian ...

Chlo rian...

Kylorian ...

Kylo ren.

Hmm.

milena likes this.
  21. oncafar

oncafar Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2017
    Midichlorian (BTW my autocorrect actually turned that word into "ridiculous" [face_laugh])

Midichlo-RIAN

22. Tzeen

Tzeen Jedi Knight

Jan 7, 2018
    Yea I noticed that too but midichlorian predates rian as far as a director is concerned. What I was alluding to was that maybe kylo ren was derived from midichlorians. They are after all the cells that determine a future Jedi.

23. Jedi Jessy

Jedi Jessy Force Ghost star 5

Feb 28, 2016
    "where's the knights of ren?" They changed of job

La Calavera and Tabbie like this.
  24. JoJoPenelli

JoJoPenelli Chosen One star 6

Aug 14, 2000
    GREAT writeup!

After TLJ, I think that as a villain, Kylo is awesome, and I absolutely believe we’ll learn more about his past in 9.

25. lovethedarkside

lovethedarkside Jedi Knight star 2

Oct 10, 2017
    In my work cube I have the official 2018 Star Wars wall calendar. The first photo was of Ren kneeling in the throne room, with 2 PGs beside him and Snoke in the background. It's a beautiful shot. When I first got the calendar, I lamented that it was a bummer they chose that image to the be one for the Sep-Dec page and that I wouldn't be able to enjoy the image during a regular calendar of month.

Now that's in January, I still haven't flipped the picture. However, every day it reminds me why they chose it for then. It's because the image no longer holds the same meaning as it did before TLJ came out in Dec. Seeing Ren kneel like that no longer feels right. AD did such a superb job of transcending him from the obedient servant to the master manipulator hell bent on changing things that it longer seems like the same character. Bravo, AD! (Even if I am bummed I no longer enjoy that image as much as I once did.) And yes, LFL/Disney does know what it's doing with it's marketing tie ins....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.