main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Adam Goldberg in Fargo

Discussion in 'Community' started by Rogue_Ten, May 7, 2014.

1. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    Got tired of people talking about this show. I haven't seen season one, but I'm caught up with season 2. It's shockingly excellent. I've been a big Kieran Culkin fan (who isn't?) ever since Igby Goes Down. Saw his production of "This Is Our Youth" in Chicago and on Broadway last year.

Tough to see him taken out in the opening act.

TX-20 and Rogue_Ten like this.
  2. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    i feel like dodd was peak jeffrey donovan, somehow

3. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    casually ultraviolent lunkhead does seem like the role he was born to play.

TX-20 and Rogue_Ten like this.
  4. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    What's with the third kind subplot? I'm only on episode 3.

5. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I think the period is one of those times when fascination with UFO's was at a high (kind of like Peggy's self-help bull**** was), so it's just an homage to that. I don't think it will amount to anything.

6. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Very little so far. Just.... Coens-y. Though I'm guessing it's sort of a metaphor for the Kansas City crowd coming in.

Jabba, it will actually probably be fine to watch season 1 after this one. In fact, I'm kind of interested in how you perceive it in that order. I'm definitely rewatching season one as soon as this one's done.

It was definitely predictable what what going to happen with Hanzee and Dodd in the end, but I think that's partly intentional. They built up Hanzee's seething anger really well.

I'm just kind of amazed Peggy and Ed have survived this far. Will be very interesting to see how things end up for them.

Jabbadabbado likes this.
  7. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    yeah i think i would have felt less annoyed by the predictability of dodd's demise if peggy and/or ed had also died. because honestly the fact that she wasnt dead when ed came back pretty much took me out of the show with its preposterousness. she should have at least been tied up. dude had time to set up an elaborate but kind of chancey noose-trap, you'd think he could have taken the time to tie her hands or something at least

8. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    At first it was pretty surprising to me, but then I had the same reaction some others had... That they've set Dodd up as being so misogynistic and dismissive of women, it actually was kind of fitting that he wouldn't have thought of her as a threat.

I think this is underlined by the fact that even when he does see her awake and crawling towards him, he doesn't put down Ed for a second to deal with her (even though a half-choked Ed would be helpless, he still sees the man as the only threat).

Also, Peggy breaking the knife handle off was so boss. She's fully actualized, guys.

tom likes this.
  9. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    Are you talking about episode 5? Has that aired? Or did I stop watching before the end of ep 4?

10. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    I don't count them so I looked it up. The latest episode to air is episode 8, "Loplop." Get the hell out of Vault 111, man.

solojones and Jabbadabbado like this.
  11. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    Ok, so not caught up. Got it. I don't even know what night it comes on.

12. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Mondays. But seriously, you probably shouldn't read this thread until you're caught up.

13. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    found episode 5. Thought I was going crazy.

Ronald Reagan: Son, there's not a challenge on God's green earth that can't be overcome by an American. I truly believe that.
    Dodd. Yeah. But how?

TX-20 likes this.
  14. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Lou, not Dodd. :p Completely different characters. Bruce Campbell as Reagan was great, early signs of dementia, empty platitudes and all.

TX-20 likes this.
  15. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    Penultimate episode tonight: They've been teasing it all season, but I certainly didn't expect that to happen during the Massacre at Sioux Falls.

Darth McClain likes this.
  16. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    Watched this one at the end of a very long day and night. Not sure how I feel about it yet cuz I'm half asleep. Pretty sure I wasn't wowed. Could be a good lead in for the finale tho, clearing away some clutter (ie the remaining gerhardts). Might have a different take in the morning, but mostly I'm guessing I'll have to wait and see the finale to tell you if this one was a let down or a solid ep

17. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    Is there any chance Simone is still alive? Cuz I'm trying to figure out what mike and his remaining mechanic have left to do and I'm coming up blank

18. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Okay then.

No, Bear definitely killed her in retaliation for Dodd getting what's-his-face into serious trouble with the law. Hey, that kid is the last surviving Gerhardt!

While I enjoyed this episode, I too don't know quite what to make of the flying saucer being indisputably "real" and a heavy influence on the plot. Some people pointed out that it could be told from Peggy's crazy POV (since everything Fargo is apparently in a book), but others pointed out that Lou clearly saw it too and in season 1 he did say he saw something he had "never" seen "before or since"-- which could be referring to both the massacre and the UFO.

19. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    Anakin Solo rule. I ain't seen no body. This thread will one day be thousands of pages of speculation on the topic of Simone's inevitable return

20. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    "It's just a flying saucer, Ed."

That made up my mind: the whole UFO storyline has been worth it just for that line.

Loved the episode. The moment of Milligan walking up and seeing all his work done for him was pretty great, though I agree I'm not sure what he'll be doing in the next episode. Although I suspect a lot of Kansas City's role at this point is to just take over now that the Gerhardt's have self-immolated.

I love the idea that in the end Kansas City and Milligan won't even have had to do anything to gain power. As far as I can recall, every member of the Gerhardt clan has been killed by one of their own people.

And actually... Maybe I'm forgetting something from early in the season, but has Milligan actually killed anybody but his own organization's guys...?

Now I'm really excited to rewatch season 1. Speaking of which... the Martin Freeman narration was a nice touch.

21. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Oh, and the fake book's timeline makes me want a season set in the 19th century.

22. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Right? I had the same thought.

And actually the first thing that came to mind is an event still celebrated in my hometown of Northfield, MN as "Defeat of Jesse James Day". Basically in 1876, the James-Younger gang showed up to rob the town bank. But the townspeople, basically realizing they were a bunch of badass frontiersman with guns, surrounded the bank and killed or wounded almost everyone in the gang. After a posse pursued the remaining members for a few weeks, everyone except Frank and Jesse James wound up in prison. The James brothers had escaped to the Dakota territories.

.... So, season three? :p

23. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    I've really been loving this season and its undoubtedly better than the first season, though not as good as the near perfect Leftovers Season 2.

Didn't care much for the aliens affecting the plot so much in this newest episode. Whenever something like that intrudes so much and so suddenly it feels more like the writers contriving the story to will itself in another direction than it was going already. I also feel like Hanzee is a bit too powerful to just turn on the family and destroy them so handily. We'll see what the next episode brings but I felt sort of let down by some of the decisions made in this episode, but the show still utilizes music and split frames expertly.

24. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    finally really got caught up. Motels always make such good settings for shootouts. Terminator and No Country for Old Men and LA Confidential and Drive.

25. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    the fan service in this episode my god

also this