main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ADAPTATIONS: The Books and COmics That We Want Turned Into Movies

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by DarthZordon, Feb 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthZordon

DarthZordon Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 15, 2009
    Welcome to adaptations, since Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter film studios have been looking for the next gold mine. What comic book can make a good movie? What book can also fill this bill? Please don't say jus tht e names of the comic or books please state actors you wanna see in these adaptation not everyone but for example:

Ahh I wanna see another Batman movie, that follows the RIddler story, and I want Johnny Depp as the Riddler and Philip Seymour Hoffman as the Penguin.

Let your imagiantion go wild. ALot good books and comics haven't been adapted yet so brign in soem good choices

2. Jedimarine

Jedimarine Force Ghost star 5

Feb 13, 2001
    Ender's Game

end of list.

3. goraq

goraq Jedi Youngling star 4

May 15, 2008
    Losers,Thrawn Trilogy.

4. DarthZordon

Feb 15, 2009
    Well I've always thought that the Thrawn Trilogy and the New Jedi Order series should be at least explored through film or tv

5. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    The Ear, the Eye, and the Arm.

6. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Merlin_Ambrosius69 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 4, 2008
    Tolkien's The Silmarillion
    Shardik and/or Maia by Richard Adams
    A live-action Tarzan adaptation that is true to ERB's creation
    Conan by REH
    Xanth by Piers Anthony
    The Magic Casement by Dave Duncan
    Elric of Melnibone by MM
    A King Arthur adaptation that is true to Malory and/or the French Vulgate
    A good Dungeons & Dragons adaptation
    Apprentice Adept by Piers Anthony
    Incarnations of Immortality by Piers Anthony

Then my life will be complete! ;)

7. DarthZordon

Feb 15, 2009
    I always loved Conan but found it ahead of its time and for that it suffered a bit becaus eof 80's cheesy cliches. ANother thing I want a good Greek Myth film. It's about time we had one.

8. goraq

goraq Jedi Youngling star 4

May 15, 2008
    [color=red,,]Tolkien's The Silmarillion,,
    I was too bored by it too read it,is that book about the founding of the ring?
    [/color]

9. DarthZordon

Feb 15, 2009
    well no, teh founding of the ring is in the Second age while the Silmarllion is in the First age it deals with Morgoth the mor e[powerful bad guy than Sauron and how he fell from grace and perished an d How Sauron fell from Grace . It's really myth based instea dogf fantasy based.

10. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Aug 4, 2008
    The Silmarillion is a collection of myths and legends of Middle Earth. The opening chapter about the creation of the Universe is a bit dry, and turns many readers away. However, as the work progresses it becomes a rich source of information about the underlying world of LOTR, and a magnificent piece of literature in its own right.

The recently published novel The Children of Hurin is an expansion of one of the story cycles in the book.

11. DarthZordon

Feb 15, 2009
    Yes, it's truly modern day myth

12. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    It'd be fantastic if they'd make a Transformers movie one day.

13. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Aug 4, 2008
    Wouldn't it, though? Instead we have an American Pie send-up that features robotic entities doing battle in between highly comical masturbation jokes. Gosh wow.

14. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    As an aside before it goes any further- though I meant my joke- my intention is not to derail this thread with TF movie complaints, so let's keep that in mind as we progress here :)

15. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    Dino-Riders.

Or a faithful Dinotopia.

16. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    My list (expanding to include video games as source material):

-Atomic Robo (bestest thing ever)
    -Eternal Darkness (might have to be a miniseries or trilogy, but great story)
    -Full Throttle (should be able to make for a fun movie)
    -Legend of Zelda (but only if I do it because anyone else will screw it up)
    -Metroid (easy to screw up, but lots of promise if they stick to the games' storyline and be creative to get around surface limitations)
    -Midnight Nation (one of my favorite graphic novels)
    -Outlaw Star (one of the few animes I really enjoyed- it's more a more action-oriented Han Solo/Firefly-feeling show than the laid-back nature of the semi-similarly-themed (but, IMO, overrated) Cowboy Bebop)
    -StarCraft (again would have to be a miniseries or a film series with each film focusing on a particular race)
    -Star Fox (done with a combination of puppets and CGI (for the characters and ships, respectively), would be a rather kick ass movie)

17. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    The original Aliens Vs Predator comic book
    X-wing Novel series
    Flinx & Pip series
    Illegal Aliens
    Strike Force: Morituri
    a good TransFormers movie (not American Pie with big robots)
    Adolescent Radioactive BlackBelt Hampsters
    Cymbeline (OK, it's shakespeare and my spelling is off, but it's a play that is almost never produced)
    more Terry Pratchet (I know, they're in production)
    Phule's Company & Phule's Paradise (the other novels in the series were awful)
    Green Lantern

Really, the exact character or source doesn't matter: anything with a decent story (OK, if you have batman blowing someone away with a shotgun, that's not going to work. So whoever should also try to be remotely consistant with existing material or otherwise create new characters/worlds.)

18. Darth_Omega

Darth_Omega Force Ghost star 6

May 19, 2002
    Does it have to be movies, because my suggestions are all aimed at the TV (no way a 2 hour movie could properly portray any of these works)
    - 20th Century Boys and 21st Century Boys (with the same team who worked on Monster)
    - Pluto (see above, when it's done of course)
    - Vinland Saga

19. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Aug 4, 2008
    I took out the two I'm not familiar with to say: That's a damn good list!

The 1990s AVP comic book was about 400 GABILLION times better than either of the craptacular movies so far.
    Some Star Wars EU would make damn fine cinema.
    I used to love the SF:M comic in the 80s! Would it make a good movie? [face_thinking]
    Transformers is an inherently terrific concept, made into teenybopper trash by the first film. The trailer for the second one looks pretty good, though, so here's hoping they get it right this time. [face_praying]
    Hah! Hampsters! YES!!
    Cymbeline is such a wonderful play, it's really quite remarkable it's never been made into a film. King Lear is another favorite of mine that hasn't seen a modern film version (unless you count that Kurosawa epic, which I don't).
    I love the first Discworld, but haven't read the others. Would make a very funny and exciting movie.
    GL is in pre-production! It's going to be Hal Jordan, and the writer sounds very impressed with himself.

20. Spiderfan

Spiderfan Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 9, 2004
    I would like to see a more accurate adaptation of Fahrenheit 451. The original film never did much for me and I loved the novel.

Also I have no idea where it could fit but I would also love to see Summer Glau play a live action X-23.

21. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    Thank you.
    Flinx and Pip are written by Alan Dean Foster. It's a series of SciFi about a boy and his pet mini-dragon-critter. Chronologically, the first book is "For Love of Mother-Not", but "The Tar-Aim Krang" was written first.
    Phule's Company was written by Robert Asprin, as a send up of scifi military books and Dirty Dozen. Rich-boy fop is promoted and put in charge of the worst company in the legion as his punishment during court-martial. Silliness ensues.

22. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Aug 4, 2008
    Oh, okay! I love Foster's movie adaptations (The Thing and of course his two Star Wars novels being favorites of mine) so I'd probably dig Flinx and Pip. And of course, Asprin's Myth Adventures are eternal classics. Speaking of which, those books would make hilarious and ingenious films.

Hollywood has yet to tap into the "comedy fantasy" market that authors have been tapping effectively since the Harvard Lampoon's Bored of the Rings (which would make an excellent film as well)!

23. DarthZordon

Feb 15, 2009
    I've always wanted to see the Sandman Comic Book series turned into a film series mainly due to the COnstantine curse and the mAx Payne disaster and the ghost of Spawn. It's hoping that they do a good God vs Devil comic movie that makes my time worth wile.

24. Jedi_Reject_Jesse

Jedi_Reject_Jesse Jedi Grand Master star 7

Aug 26, 2004
    I used to often hang out in the graphic novel section of bookstores and libraries. I remember 2 series I think would be awesome films: Transmetropolitan and Books of Magic.

25. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Aug 4, 2008
    Wow, no kidding: Transmet would make an INCREDIBLE film. Get Paul Bettany or Jude Law to play Spider Jerusalem, and you've got yourself a winner!

I think in the wake of the Watchmen movie's imminent release, we may start to see a more serious attempt at making sci-fi comics a reality on the screen.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.