main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ADAPTATIONS: The Books and COmics That We Want Turned Into Movies

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by DarthZordon, Feb 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    How about a movie based on the Portal video game. Would be good for a silly laugh, and probablly have more substance than most current flicks.
    And a good Lovecraft or PKDick movie would be nice. Most of them are utter rubbish, or are so heavily altered as to be unrecognizable, or both.
    Only fantasy-humor movie I can think of is Army of Darkness. Don't see the Myth-Adventures books really working visually. Too much of what is involved is the internal naration by Skeeve. Don't think it would come through without that.
    Another book that would be nice to see adapted (either as a movie or real life) was about an industrialist who turned her financial empire into rekindling the space program, and I can't remember the name of the book or the sequels, and it's going to drive me nuts. Think it was by Larry Flynn...

2. DarthZordon

DarthZordon Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 15, 2009
    I think making a Call of Duty game would be great however since it's not a Scfi fantasy game...

One game I've always wanted to see..... Destroy all Humans the movie.[face_laugh]

3. DarthZordon

Feb 15, 2009
    I was reading DOn Quixote, and while not exactly a fantasy book I do think it has fantasy elements and if done properlly would be one of th egreatest movies ever. However I also though about Dante's Inferno. That would cool.

4. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Merlin_Ambrosius69 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 4, 2008
    FYI, there are numerous versions of Don Quixote, including a 1947 Spanish-language film, a 1973 musical with Peter O'Toole called Man of La Mancha, a TV movie with John Lithgow and Bob Hoskins made in 2000, and of course Lost in la Mancha, the documentary about Terry Gilliam's failed attempt to make a Quixote picture, among others.

5. DarthZordon

Feb 15, 2009
    Yeah I know I saw Man of La Mancha, it wa sgreat. But I want a modern movie. It would make a killer story to see on screen, who knows maybe Ian McKellen can play DOn Quixote.

6. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    Iron Fist - might be better as an animated tv series rather than a movie, though.

The Stainless Steel Rat Saves the World would make a cool movie.

Nine Princes in Amber - might be better as a tv miniseries; I'll have to give it some thought on who I would cast in it.

7. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    ah yes... The Stainless Steel Rat... James Bolivar D'Gritz

Rats, Bats, and Vats might make a good movie, as with the sequel, the Rats, the Bats, and the Ugly

8. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Aug 4, 2008
    I forgot to mention my all-time list-topper, The Chronicles of Prydain, in my first post. In 1985 Disney made an awful, awful mishmash of the first two books. The Black Cauldron film does unspeakable disservice to the characters and events of the books. A live action version, possibly with three films instead of five (since the books are rather thin), would be superlative and moving and amazing and it would turn cinematic fantasy on its ear without even meaning to.

A LeGuin's A Wizard of Earthsea would also be really, really, really awesome. (The 2001 Sci-Fi Channel movie doesn't, doesn't count.)

9. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    Ever heard of Lost in La Mancha?

10. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Aug 4, 2008

11. DarthZordon

Feb 15, 2009
    But it was failed attempt, i.e there is no modern film version of the story.

12. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    I wouldn't mind seeing a good adaptation of The Dresden Files. One where the stories are told propperly in the correct order. Each book would be a 3-5 episode miniseries.

13. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    You're absolutely right, I just thought you might be interested in the film.

14. DarthZordon

Feb 15, 2009
    Oh sorry man, I think I'll try an rent it, what's the name of the documentary's name?

15. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    I want two movies made in my lifetime:

- A new version of The Scarlet Pimpernel.
    - Animorphs. The TV series was a LOL-tastic failed attempt, but quite honestly, if they combined book 1 & 2, it might make for an awesome movie.

16. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    I liked the Richard E Grant version, even if it wasn't entirely true to the source material (most aren't). The Musical wasn't bad either.

17. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    I love the musical, but a GOOD movie version.

18. DarthZordon

Feb 15, 2009
    A fien adaptation would be Animorphs, as you said it was an interesting concept.

19. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Elric of Melnibone. IIRC, the Wachowski brothers are working on this.

A good D&D movie.

Agreed on the lack of comedy fantasy. I nominate Good Omens.

20. -Phoenix-

-Phoenix- Jedi Master star 5

Oct 21, 2005
    I want Djimon Hounsou in a live-action Black Panther.

21. DarthZordon

Feb 15, 2009
    They should just make a new Daredevil movie. Period. Ben Affleck shouldn't have been Mattt Murdock, he did his best kuddos for that but I did not think it wa sgood enough.

And I think they should do another X-Men movie following up the Last TSand and bring in Apocalypse as the villain.

22. ThrawnRocks

ThrawnRocks Jedi Master star 6

Apr 10, 2004
    An Animorphs movie would be awesome. As the movie wave of nostalgia slowly moves from the 80's to the 90's in the next ten years, I expect we'll see one eventually.

Ender's Game/Ender's Shadow
    Rendezvous With Rama
    A good version of Minority Report
    Good Omens

23. DarthZordon

Feb 15, 2009
    Yeah , ithink we will see alot of adaptations from the 90s now. I hope so, especially Megaman
    Mummies Alive

24. Tricky

Tricky Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 26, 2001
    Dragonball Z- done with an all asian cast & directed by either the guy that made The Storm Riders that had Sonny Chiba in it or by Stephen Chow of Shaolin Soccer & Kung Fu Hustle. No Americanization please, involve Akira Toriyama & as my asian film makers are known to do make it a series of films going from the Saiyan saga all the way to the Buu saga.

Akira- same conditions as for DBZ, but involve Katsuhiro Otomo & base more of it on the Japanese comic/manga than the original anime/movie did in 1988.

Neuromancer- screenwritten by William Gibson & directed by the Wachowski brothers, a big budget film that stays as true to the book as humanely possible.

X-Men: Inferno- based on this comics storyline for once to please put all the actors in comic book accurate spandex costumes. I've seen plenty of Wizard! magazines Halloween costume contests, people can look good in spandex if enough effort & love is put into them.

Star Wars Legacy- do a good job & you will be rewarded...

25. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    How about Timothy Zahn's Heir to the Empire trilogy?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.