main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Adapting the novels into comics

Discussion in 'Literature' started by spicer, Nov 25, 2017.

?

Would you like to see more novels being adapted into comics?

1. Yes, but canon novels only

15 vote(s)
    34.1%
  2. Yes, but Legends novels only

2 vote(s)
    4.5%
  3. Yes, both canon and Legends

18 vote(s)
    40.9%
  4. No, I don't want to see the novels adapted into comics

6 vote(s)
    13.6%
  5. I don't care

3 vote(s)
    6.8%
  1. kalzeth

kalzeth Jedi Master star 3

Aug 26, 2017
    Would be mostly up for Legends. I would say Deceived, Revan, the Lost Tribe of the Sith, Crosscurrent.

NJO would be an amazing series. 100 issues should get us pretty far ;)

Would also be cool to see some of the YA books in comic form like Legacy of the Jedi.

Plagueis for sure!

Probably controversial but the Traviss Clone novels would be awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

spicer likes this.
  2. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    Darth Bane's novel trilogy is completely incompatible with canon now (We have a New Sith Wars where the Sith took over Coruscant, held it until around 1,032 BBY and then were defeated, per the canon Propaganda book).

Maybe they could somehow make a comic book version of the Bane trilogy but shift the timeline back 32 years and bring it into canon? Maybe Darth Bane and his apprentice actually held Coruscant for some time before being defeated (and Darth Zannah faking her death) to explain why Yoda knows who Bane is and what he looks like in TCW.

kalzeth likes this.
  3. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    Fun fact that some people may not know - a small bit from Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader has been adapted into comic book form, in Dark Times: The Path to Nowehere issue #5.

What is this sorcery, a perfect synergy between Legends comics and novels?!? Impossible, that couldn't have happened before the Story Group came to be and synchronised Star Wars continuity to perfection!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

DarthJaceus, panki, wmu'14 and 4 others like this.
  4. kalzeth

kalzeth Jedi Master star 3

Aug 26, 2017
    Was thinking it would be great to get images of Welk and Lomi PLO. I don’t believe we have any

5. UnshavenWookie14

UnshavenWookie14 Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 20, 2017
    I think you could see the adaptions become more common for big titles. Whereas most content comes with limited marketing that is aimed at established EU consumers, the most promising content differs slightly. The headline literature is also marketed to casual Star Wars fans that are caught up in the new trilogy hype. Novels like Thrawn are used to try and entice casual fans of the movies into exploring the expanded universe.

For this reason I think you could see the future headline novels becoming comic adaptions. Basically Star Wars trying to widen those ‘portals’ into the EU for new fans. Comic fans might not have been interested in reading the novel, but would be willing to check out marvels production of the same content. It allows them to have the largest possible marketing reach in terms of fans who will be receptive to giving Star Wars literature a chance.

That said, I think the adaptions could remain confined to the headline titles because the don’t want cannibalization to become an issue — they don’t want one product to take away revenue from the other. So instead of profiting from the comic adaptions, they actually waste resources with no return. This concern is probably more pronounced for Star Wars considering the publishing rights for novels and comics are entrusted to two separate entities (Marvel/Del Rey). Right now the multiple publishers seem to be operating in concert together, but adaptions of all novels could serve to pit Marvel and Del Rey against one another. Both clamoring over the other for a larger piece of the pie when it comes to competing for sales.

Just my two cents

6. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    While I see what you're getting at, I don't think the idea of competing mediums actually works out in reality unless a company is dumb enough to overload the wallets of its consumers with a glut of product.

Force someone to choose between Thrawn comic and book because both have come out at the same time and consumer can't buy both, they'll choose and probably be a bit irritated that they had to. Release the book and then the comic adaptation say a year later and it'll sell fine.

lordpixie and spicer like this.
  7. lordpixie

lordpixie Jedi Master star 2

Aug 30, 2015
    I think a Aftermath trilogy comic maybe a good idea because there is some good stuff that happens in them that some have missed due to some not liking the writing style. Oh and more Mr Bones is a good thing :)

kalzeth, spicer and iPodwithnomusic like this.
  8. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    There are quite a lot of background details that could be depicted in a comic book from the Aftermath books, such as species, vehicles and various localities. And as you said, a comic book version of the Aftermath trilogy could be a redeeming factor to those that had problems with the writing style of the books.

SilentGuy66 likes this.
  9. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    Hmmm...

List of books I'd like to see adapted...

Canon
    - Catalyst
    - More Ersos, more Krennic, more Gerrera.
    - Dark Disciple
    - I mean who doesn't want to see Dooku's evil-for-lulz stupidity?
    - A New Dawn
    - Younger Kanan and Hera.
    - Bloodline
    - Would be nice to know what the novel-only characters look like.
    - After the Awakening
    - I wanna know what the Keshi pilot in Poe's squadron looks like.

Legends
    - All 10 X-wing novels
    - I want to see a better pic of 16-17 year old Gavin and more Aril Nunb is awesome.
    - What on earth do the bulk cruisers Mon Valle and Corulag look like as well as the Valiant.
    - Hand of Thrawn
    - We've got Thrawn Trilogy, so why not.
    - NJO
    - Because wouldn't be awesome to actually get some ships identified for fleet junkies.
    - Also canon pics for Fyor Rodan, Triebakk, Niuk Niuv, Pwoe, Chelch Dravvad, Traest Kre'fey, Alinn Varth, etc.

panki and Force Smuggler like this.
  10. Shadowrain10

Shadowrain10 Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 12, 2017
    I'm not too crazy on the idea of them repeating content for the sake of repeating content, I would rather see new things, not just rehash old stories.

11. Biel Ductavis

Biel Ductavis Jedi Master star 4

Aug 17, 2015
    Guess with Pelly being canon again, he would be predestined to appear in the same role as in the original TTT. But it would be great if Eli would also appear in the adaption.

Maybe he leaves the Chiss Ascendancy with Thrawn and his fleet.

12. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    They could do a twist--make comic adaptations of old Legends New Jedi Order stories (I, Jedi, Scourge, Jedi Outcast, Jedi Academy, Jedi Academy Trilogy), remove all references to Legends Solo kids, and say the adaptations are canon.

13. vnu

vnu Jedi Master star 3

Sep 8, 2012
    The NJO with the Vong War.

In the other direction, I was always upset we never got a novel adaptation of Dark Empire, especially considering its frequently mentioned in the novels, especially the Jedi Academy Trilogy.

Stay away from the ST then. ;)

Last edited: Mar 15, 2018
    kalzeth likes this.
  14. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I would prefer to keep things in their own medium as a part of the overall tapestry of Star Wars. But I'm not against the notion, only read the 1st issue of the Thrawn adaptation but I really dug it (and I hadn't read the novel). but I want to see original Star Wars story comics more than adaptations. Cuz otherwise I personally only have incentive to pick up 1 version of the story. but it's not a hard and fast rule, I like the comic movie adaptations and Thrawn looks like it could be really cool.

So yes to comic adaptations of novels but certainly not everything. But I wouldn't mind one every two years or so. Preferably of books I haven't read yet so I don't double-down on the same story.

Adapting Legends novels into Canon Comics as @sidv88 mentioned is a pretty cool idea I would like, considering I haven't read those ones in, like, decades and a few nip and tuck continuity issues it could work. Biggest example I can think of is when the Marvel Ultimate line adapted (very, very loosely) classic Marvel stories.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2018
    kalzeth likes this.
  15. MrDarth0

MrDarth0 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 3, 2015
    I wouldn't mind the Aftermath trilogy as comic adaptation.

It would also let us see many of the new New Republic ships.

Darth Caliban and kalzeth like this.
  16. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    Yeah, I would really love to see the Aftermath trilogy in comic-form.

17. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    If only to know what Sinjir Rath Velus and the Starhawk-class battleship looks like...

Revanfan1 and SilentGuy66 like this.
  18. Ithorians

Ithorians Jedi Master star 4

Apr 26, 2016
    Same for me, but with Gallius Rax and Yupe Tashu in mind!

Jarrus, kalzeth and Revanfan1 like this.