main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Adding more Sith to the mix.

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Battlehymn_Republic, Jan 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Battlehymn_Republic

Battlehymn_Republic Jedi Master star 2

Oct 6, 2007
    I've posed the question of how people would react to Dark Horse's invasion plot of (possibly) exiled Sith, rather than the bio-gen monsters of NJO. Someone mentioned that it wouldn't do to nerf Palpatine and co. by having a more competent, threatening group of Dark Siders appear and wreak havoc on the Galaxy.

Does anyone else agree with that? So, would it be a bad idea to have Sith villains that are as powerful or more powerful than Palpatine and Anakin post-ROTJ? Because if so, then I can understand why Caedus is so lame, and why Krayt doesn't get a lot of respect.

I'm still wondering what the possible alternatives to the Vong and 'exiled Sith' could there be for the Far Outsiders. But I guess that's a what-if question, so I won't dwell on that unless permitted.

2. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    So, would it be a bad idea to have Sith villains that are as powerful or more powerful than Palpatine and Anakin post-ROTJ?

couple of points.

1. Anakin and Sidious should be the strongest Sith ever.
    2. Bioweapons are stupid.
    3. Large numbers of Sith diminish the Sith threat.
    4. The Sith aren't alien, just evil.

3. Battlehymn_Republic

Oct 6, 2007
    So, C19, are you personally against the whole concept of the Far Outsiders' imminent invasion threat to the galaxy?

4. Maximillian-Veers

Maximillian-Veers Jedi Master star 3

Apr 27, 2005
    My personal problem with the Yuuzhan Vong was that instead of being the incredible, original, and challenging new villain which was promised, they were like a sad creation-by-commitee conglomeration of everything which was typical in the mid-to-late nineties. Bio-technology? Check. Sado-Masochism? Check. Misunderstood backstory? Check. Angry Warrior Culture with a superiority complex? Double-check. We couldn't have gotten an actually unique enemy, we had to get the Vong.

Would I rather have them been Sith? No. Sith should be unique to the GFFA. Anything that comes from outside the Galaxy should not be Sith. Could they use the Force? Sure, but they shouldn't be Sith.

5. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    I'm all for alien invaders, but I would have preferred an Unknown Regions threat and something more persistant with the Star Wars universe.

Honestly, I would have preferred a human invasion.

It would have felt more Star Wars

6. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Humans from another galaxy!? :eek:

Pfft, like that's realistic....

7. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    I wonder if the idea of having a Jedi with a unique, new way of looking at the Force is a relic of the original intention of having new Force users...

8. Teegirloo

Teegirloo Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 26, 2005
    Didn't they try that with the Potentium. If so well you can see it didn't work.

9. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Actually, I wanted the big Unknown Regions threat to be a bunch of slimy Fascist/Aristocrat humans.

:)

Sort of a fun commentary about what Thrawn would consider a major threat.

10. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    Teegirloo, my point was that perhaps the character Vergere, or her beliefs, are a holdover from the new group of Force sensitives - these extragalactic darksiders - that were in the original plotline.

11. Trip

Trip Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    Well... that's essentially what we got.

Biologically, anyway.

12. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    No, we got a Cyborg Invasion.

Because the Vong are Bio-Cyborgs.

Cyborgs who like Kink.

13. Teegirloo

Teegirloo Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 26, 2005
    There isn't really enough information on Vergere or her beliefs to actually know where they came from unless im wrong.[face_thinking]

14. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    Cyborg humans are still humans, no?
    I don't think I'm being clear. I meant that perhaps the character Vergere and her views on the Force, are the result of the authors trying to preserve some of the original plotline in the new one.

15. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Cyborgs are still human, eh?

[image=http://www.btinternet.com/~reg.joy/images/Robots/cybermen.jpg]

Debatable.

16. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    >My personal problem with the Yuuzhan Vong was that instead of being the incredible, original, and challenging new villain which was promised, they were like a sad creation-by-commitee conglomeration of everything which was typical in the mid-to-late nineties. Bio-technology? Check. Sado-Masochism? Check. Misunderstood backstory? Check. Angry Warrior Culture with a superiority complex? Double-check. We couldn't have gotten an actually unique enemy, we had to get the Vong.<

There was, I recall, some hope after the release of Vector Prime that a war between the light, hopeful Star Wars galaxy of the Original Trilogy and a darker, more typically "modern" sci-fi race would be interesting because of the contrast in tactics and values...at this remove I don't even remember how much of this actually ended up in the series. I wonder why they need have even bothered with the Vong when we could have just had Sith in the first place--goodness knows we have more than enough of them now.

I do know that rather than reaffirming the generally lighthearted and redemptive nature of the original Star Wars trilogy, the storyline seems to have tainted the other EU stories that followed. Worse, the series that followed it takes its cues from the necessarily dark elements of the prequel films rather than building on the originals...it's all backwards.

TC

17. Battlehymn_Republic

Oct 6, 2007
    Personally, I'd love to see some non-Imperial non-Sith non-gangster non-Sal-Solo human villains. Any big new villain would be as closely scrutinized for "preserving Star Wars-ness" as the Yuuzhan Vong, though. Not to mention checked to see if they're too similar to ideas from other sci-fi series.

18. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    Of course, the galaxy more closely resembles the PT, nowadays.

19. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    Enjoyed the Vong. Thought they were fresh, different and very original. A lot of effort went into developing their culture and social hierarchy, plus they were a threat not to just the Hero's, but the whole galaxy. Also the whole ides of a shamed one actually ruling the Vong was a great, ironic twist.
    Too often in Star Wars its very easy to judge a "book by its cover". Anything that blurs the lines between good and evil is welcomed by me. I have no desire to always know who the villian is from page one. Sometimes its nice to mix things up.

20. KnightDawg

KnightDawg Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 26, 2007
    Adding more Sith to the mix

With the 100 year gap between the current LotF storyline and the Legacy comics...there's plenty of time for Sith vs Jedi interaction...even if the Jedi have no clue they are Sith. It also seems there may be some "rebel" members of Krayt's One Sith that may want to branch out on their own. Dician has shown this by going after the Sith Sphere to use for her own needs. Plus, I'm sure we will see further development of White Eyes(probably Cronal aka Blackhole) and the "Raspy-voiced woman" Sith(probably Asajj Ventress).

As far as aliens from outside the known SW Universe....if think it would be interesting if the long thought extinct Rakata make a grand re-emergence from Unkown Space to attempt to reclaim their SW Universe.

21. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    I'd rather the vanished/dead civilizations stay vanished or dead. Look what happened with the Killiks...*shudder*

We could certainly use more Vong now that they've been introduced, though. Have we even seen a single one in LOTF? Where did they all go? Surely not everyone in the invasion force could have fit into Zonama Sekot..

TC

22. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    If they ever decide to salvage the original Sith invasion plan, personally I'd rather they just did it in the KOTOR era, whether this mean KOTOR3 or a novel series or whatever. I just feel a big Sith invasion suits that era better, plus we've already got Legacy in post-ROTJ, I think another massive Sith arc set in the same general era would be too much.

23. Jedimarine

Jedimarine Force Ghost star 5

Feb 13, 2001
    Too much? The entire history of the galaxy is built up on good vs. evil...and since we've handed over the reigns of absolute evil to the Sith alone, of course that's what we see.

Now I think we could get a new school of darksiders...non-sith...maybe even Sith-killers...who don't outright invade, but infiltrate everything...even the Jedi...and cause chaos.

Charles, just for edification...do you want Sidious and Vader to be the ultimate Sith or the ultimate bad guys? Personally, I think they are neither, but I know a great many do and LFL will attempt to maintain this illusion as long as dvd sales don't drop. So which is it?

So then the game becomes....NAME THE NEW DARKSIDE ORDER![face_dancing][face_dancing]

Step right up and give us a name that makes even Sith shiver!

24. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Let me put it another way, the Yuuzhan Vong invasion being followed by the Sith invasion a few decades later being followed by the New Sith Order a few more decades later just feels like it'd be overkill. I would like to see something made of the "True Sith" threat, I just think the big three era has been there, done that, got the t-shirt. I'd rather see it used to flesh out another period thats currently empty, perhaps have it as the main conflict of the New Sith Wars, for example. Two alien invasion arcs in Luke's lifetime just seems silly.

25. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    Agreed. Between Revan and Krayt, mysterious Sith coming out of nowhere is wearing thin, and "eternal themes" aside, some story elements just don't keep working - for example, whoever approved the idea of there being a Jedi Purge before Palpatine's deserves a branding iron to the butt.
    This is kind of where I was going with my earlier comments about Vergere.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.