main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Adding more Sith to the mix.

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Battlehymn_Republic, Jan 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedimarine

Jedimarine Force Ghost star 5

Feb 13, 2001
    Why can't there be more then one then?

See the problem is coming up with an original idea for the struggle...Unless LFL takes the ballsy move of "ending" the stories between LOTF and LEGACY, that period will be filled with crises and evil...it is the doom of keeping to the film characters, we get an inordinate amount of evil characters and plots CRAMMED into a single generation...and it will be skewed that way forever.

Personally, I'd rather see a serious threat that doesn't really go away, then some fangless black-cape goons that can have no bearing because of what we know the universe will be like by 140 ABY.

But to do that, they need to be introduced by Legacy soon, otherwise, notta.

As it stands, Legacy is pretty much telling us nothing happens between NJO and it's time...perhaps we'll get some details when LOTF finishes...but other then that, it's gonna be a dangerous game of "how does this work with Legacy" for years to come.

unless.

You make it something shadowy...something that could literally hide for decades between notices.

2. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Agreed.... At least it was a very small purge, though.

Palpatine took down 9000+ Jedi. Nihlly and co. took down 100.

3. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    You've basically summed up my main objection to another massive invasion arc: Legacy hasn't mentioned it. If we have a second Yuuzhan Vong War that is basically the True Sith War during Luke's lifetime then Legacy becomes problematic. This is why I'd rather see it stuck sometime in the distant past back when Sith Wars were the done thing.

I agree with wanting something more ongoing than "Darksider of the Month" but I don't think the True Sith can really achieve it. If we're going to have Sith, I'd rather see the New Sith Order doing Darth Baney things during the hundred years in the run up to them taking over the galaxy. Or Caedus leaving behind somebody to carry on the Banite line causing problems.

Personally I don't think we need galaxy shattering invasion storylines. They're good but anything major is going to cause problems with Legacy. I don't see why we can't just have more isolated struggles, something about the Remnant that involves only the Remnant leading to its revival (if they wanted to throw in the S word then perfect chance to blame the return of the Imperial throne on the Sith). However, things like that don't need to be massive entire galaxy threatening dangers, allowing Legacy to carry on with relatively few problems.

Its a bit like all the Clone Wars and rise of the Empire stuff. They can't make up a new war between the Clone Wars and Galactic Civil War. For all intents and purposes there are twenty years of relative "calm" (albeit with a lot of fascist oppression). As they flesh the period out, they can't introduce a struggle on the epic scale of the Clone Wars or Yuuzhan Vong War, but it doesn't stop new stories that are just as good. Its more or less how I view the "Ben era". Luke was the Clone Wars, Ben is the Empire, Kol is the Galactic Civil War. Ben can still experience loads in his life even if there is never anything that reaches the scale of the Yuuzhan Vong War.

4. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    If I'm not mistaken, that figure was retconned to diminish the impact of Nihilus' purge as, for all intents and purposes, 100 Jedi killed during a war doesn't deserve to be called a purge at all. They're really just casualties. Nonetheless, Nihilus gets a "Purge" of his own, and so the impact of Sidious' and Vader's is diminished.

5. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    No, Ulicus is right. KOTOR2 specifically says that less than 100 Jedi were left at the end of KOTOR1. By the time the second game starts, Nihilus and Sion have killed all of them but the Exile, Revan, Bastila, Vrook, Zez-Kai Ell, Kavar, Atris, and Deesra Luur Jada. And Ood Bnar, I guess.

6. Jedimarine

Jedimarine Force Ghost star 5

Feb 13, 2001
    Explain the Sunrider lineage then.

More Jedi survived, they were just in deep hiding.

7. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    Right, the point being that Palpatine killed thousands of Jedi and Nihilus and Sion killed less than a hundred, as established by KOTOR2 itself. Sion's "They are all dead, save one. And one broken Jedi cannot stop the darkness that is to come." line, while extremely quotable, becomes kind of ridiculous when a half dozen other survivors appear later on throughout the game itself, and more keep getting retconned into existence by other sources. :p

8. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    Sounds a lot like the Dark Times/Rebellion era, actually...I mean, really, K'Kruhk?:-B

9. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Basically it went:

- Flourishing Jedi Order
    - First Sith war severely damages them
    - Smaller, wounded Jedi Order
    - Revan drags a sizable portion off with him to the Mandalorian Wars
    - Even smaller, wounded Jedi Order
    - Second Sith War: Revan converts the majority of the remaining Jedi to his side*
    - Barely a hundred Jedi are left at the war's conclusion
    - Nihilus and Sion kill as many of that one-hundred that they can find
    - The "Lost Jedi" (Atton, Mira, Disciple, etc) re-establish the Jedi Order... at some point

It's actually quite weird to think that the ragtag party of adventurers you have at your side in KotOR 2 are probably all *legendary Jedi* IU - we just don't know their full stories yet.

(* Kreia: "many Jedi were killed - and many more were seduced by Revan's teachings")

10. BROWNHORNET

BROWNHORNET Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 9, 2007
    I liked the Vong. I thought they were well developed villians, with an interesting culture and backstory. Perhaps they were derivative of other warrior societies in sci-fi, but I don't think that's a knock on them. They brought something different to SW, and were a unique challenge to the NJO heroes, something different than Palpatine, the Imperials, or the Sith.

The Vong were an enemy that took SW in a different direction, forced the heroes to come up with new methods or ways to beat them, which was a good thing.

The Sith invasion plot sounds intriguing, but we're getting something of that in the Legacy comics right now. I also agree with a previous poster that if they really wanted to revive the idea, it would work better in the KOTOR timeframe.

I am curious about where the post-LOTF books are going. Legacy has pretty much established the fairly near future, so I wonder if the big epic stuff is over with after LOTF, and perhaps the SW books will go back to smaller conflicts and solo adventures? Or maybe adventures into the Unknown Regions that might not have the same impact on the Core Worlds?

The next batch of villians will be interesting too. It seems like Krayt's Sith largely stayed behind the scenes until the Sith-Imperial War in Legacy. That means that the Sith aren't likely to be the villians in post-LOTF books. Maybe if the LOTF had slowed down a bit and given Caedus an apprentice then the writers could've used him or her as a Sith baddie without revealing Krayt's Sith.

11. Rouge77

Rouge77 Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2005
    There's a very small chance that Tahiri will be that apprentice, but it seems very unlikely at the moment that she will a)get that position and b)survive Invincible.

I too think this candle has been burned too quickly and that they could have used Jacen as a villain to years to come and his apprentice(s) and their possible apprentices for decades to come IU. Yet they decided to get it over with in just 9 books. It's truly a big waste of character and possible future storylines.

12. BaneOfTheSith

BaneOfTheSith Jedi Youngling star 1

May 25, 2007
    too bad the Borg were already taken. they are a cool villian.

*shudder* assimilated Jedi :eek:

13. Rouge77

May 11, 2005
    That's what Tahiri was supposed to become, an assimilated Jedi in the service of the YV.

14. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    Is it confirmed that Darth Caedus will be no more after LotF? I mean, it's extremely likely, but...I mean, there's always the chance he'll continue on as a Sith. Let's not prejudge Del Rey...

15. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    The "Raspy-voiced woman" Sith(probably Asajj Ventress That would be cool..

16. Rouge77

May 11, 2005
    At least it would be a splendid hat-trick for Obi-wan...

17. Rouge77

May 11, 2005
    Let's prejudge Del Rey. There's very little chance of being wrong, after all.;)

No, it's not confirmed, but that's how it going to be. Would Denning really say that the book is all about ending if this would be but a one step in the story of Darth Caedus?:confused:

18. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    L

M

A

O

19. BaneOfTheSith

May 25, 2007
    Caedus cannot exist beyond this book because of the way he's turned out - Emperor v2.0.

if he was more Krayt-like...possibly. but he has to die or else he'll ruin the galaxy, not stabilize it as he's deluded himself into thinking.

20. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    Unless he survives deposed.

edit: Criminey, so no one thinks my "Vergere's inclusion in the NJO is a consequence of the authors trying to shoehorn some ideas from the original plotline into the new one" idea is worthy of discussion? I thought that was a pretty intriguing thought when it occurred to me back at the beginning of this thread...then again, I've been inordinately sleepy lately...

21. BaneOfTheSith

May 25, 2007
    it would take one HELL of a 'disposing' to keep him out of the thick of things. remember - Sith Lord, trained by the most powerful Jedi who ever lived, tortured mentally by a Sith and physically by the Vong...it's gonna take more than a broken leg to keep this kid down :p

22. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    DEposed, as in removed from his position, as in he loses control of the GA but isn't successfully destroyed.

23. BaneOfTheSith

May 25, 2007
    yeah - sorry - tired I-)

what i meant was one hell of a "deposing", not disposing. basically it's not like you're going to just be able to throw him on a space station inside the Maw and hope he never gets out.

24. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    No, but you could defeat him, expose him, and remove his power base. He's a lot less of a threat when he's not ruler of the GA.

25. BROWNHORNET

BROWNHORNET Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 9, 2007
    I think Caedus has gone too far and has to be taken out, or that's the way it's shaping up to me. In the last book, the Skywalkers and Solos have come to that conclusion, a bit too easily in my opinion. It would've been nice for at least Leia to argue that Jacen can be redeemed, and to throw Vader and Luke's desperate, foolish belief in Vader's redemption up as proof.

Also, with the One Sith seeming to dislike Caedus and I'm not sure if they consider him a real Sith or not, he won't have much of a base of support. Plus, it would be a big let down, anti-climax for DR to not take Jacen out since they've done such a thorough job of making him Snidley Whiplash. To not give him a come uppance would really piss off a lot of fans.

It's unfortunate that Tahiri won't be his apprentice. I was hoping in Inferno that things might go in that direction, but Caedus was very dismissive of her in Fury so I doubt that. However, I think if Caedus had an apprentice they could carry on his legacy without him having to be around. It would also allow Krayt to remain the shadows until Legacy, while still having the NJO be able to fight against Sith.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.