main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ADHD

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by darthmomm, Nov 7, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darthmomm

darthmomm Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 16, 2001
    This is a subject that has been debated for a long time. Some think that the diagnoses and drug treatment of ADHD is too much....

While others think that it is ok.

I have had many experiences with ADHD as my son has been diagnosed with it. I do agree with the diagnoses however, I am not in agreement with the treatment.

I would like you opinnions on this matter, and I would love to hear from people who have been diagnosed or beleive that they are ADHD.

My thoughts and feeling later.

2. Kimball_Kinnison

Kimball_Kinnison Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 28, 2001
    I have had many experiences with ADHD as my son has been diagnosed with it. I do agree with the diagnoses however, I am not in agreement with the treatment.

Which form of treatment has he been placed under? Is he on medication (in which case, which meds)? Is it a behavioral program? Diet? Each of these have been shown to be effective at dealing with ADHD on some level.

I would like you opinnions on this matter, and I would love to hear from people who have been diagnosed or beleive that they are ADHD.

I was diagnosed in the summer of 1989, shortly before my 4th grade year. I was placed on 25 mg of Ritalin a day (10 morning, 10 lunch, 5 after school), and certain behavioral programs as well. For example, my parents always set the same (if not higher) standards for me as for anyone else. Rather than lower the requirements because of my ADHD, they helped me look for was that I could apply the abilities that ADHD gives me.

From Feb. 1999 - Feb. 2001, I served as a missionary of my church. In that time, I worked 12-16 hour days doing such things as going door-to-door and preaching the Gospel. There were time when I felt like I had no energy to go onward at all. I found that at times like that I could usee the hyperactivity to keep working.

A common ability among those with ADHD is the ability to multitask. I've found the ability to focus on two (or even three) items at once to be very beneficial in my school and work.

While I still take medication today, it is no longer a daily requirement. I have developed to the point where I take it on an "as needed" basis (such as before exams or the like). Some people (on the other hand) will probably never be able to function off of medication.

I strongly disagree with the people who claim that ADHD should not be medicated or that it is over-diagnosed. The problem is not over-diagnosis, but a lack of clear criteria for diagnosing it. My doctor has been helping to develop a standardized, medical criteria for ADHD for over 20 years. Some people do not respond to medication because they do not really have ADHD, but were misdiagnised due to improper criteria. In cases like that, increasing the medication can be very harmful.

If anyone wants to get some materials, PM me and I can get you in contact with my mother who has been studying ADHD for over 20 years (because 3 of her 4 children have been diagnosed with it). She's become very good at helping other parents deal with their childrens' ADHD.

Kimball Kinnison

3. JediRedi

JediRedi Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 7, 2002
    Why aren't there set criteria for diagnosis.

I work part time as a carer for a young boy with Autism and apparently they have a lot of trouble differentiating the disagnosis in very young children

4. Nyder

Nyder Jedi Master star 4

Jun 27, 2002
    Some questions:

How many mental disorders are there?

What is the evidence that ADHD exists (actual physical evidence)?

Is their another possible explanation for this behaviour?

What are the negative effects of the drugs used to treat this 'disorder'?

Should it be recognised as a disorder?

Has ADHD always existed as a disorder of the human race but not 'discovered' until recently?

How profitable are the companies producing medication for treatment of ADHD?

Is ADHD a condition people are born with or is it a learned behaviour?

What is the extent of the problem of ADHD?

Are their alternative measures to treating ADHD?

What are the symptoms of ADHD, and how did they derive this list of symptoms of ADHD?

5. Jedi_Master_Mom

Jedi_Master_Mom Jedi Youngling star 2

May 29, 2002
    My son was first diagnosed with ADHD, but now he know for sure he has Asperber's. It very commonn for children with Asperger's to be diagnosed with ADHD first.

My son is on 18 mg of concerta, a time released form of ritilin. He needs the medication in school. He would not be able to learn if he ws not on medication. With medication, we work on behavior modifications.

I've never tried changing his diet. The only problem we have had with medication was when he was on ritilin. When the meds wore off he had a huge emotional drop and would just lose control, with concerta that has not happened.

What is the evidence that ADHD exists (actual physical evidence)?

Children with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder have smaller brains overall and smaller key brain structures than children without the condition, researchers reported Tuesday in the largest brain imaging study ever conducted on these patients.

The reduced brain components could play a role in causing the over-activity, distractibility and impulsiveness that are hallmarks of ADHD, Judith Rapoport, chief of the child psychiatry branch at the National Institute of Mental Health and an author of the study, told United Press International. The findings of smaller brains "provide support in conjunction with other data like genetics that there is a clear biological factor in ADHD," Rapoport said.

She noted the smaller brains also were found in ADHD patients who never had taken Ritalin or other drugs used to treat the condition, so the size decrease is not caused by medications.

Full Article

ADHD or ADD is characterized by a majority of the following symptoms being present in either category (inattention or hyperactivity). These symptoms need to manifest themselves in a manner and degree which is inconsistent with the child's current developmental level. That is, the child's behavior is significantly more inattentive or hyperactive than that of his or her peers of a similar age.
    Symptoms of Inattention:

* often fails to give close attention to details or makes careless mistakes in schoolwork, work, or other activities
    * often has difficulty sustaining attention in tasks or play activities
    * often does not seem to listen when spoken to directly
    * often does not follow through on instructions and fails to finish schoolwork, chores, or duties in the workplace (not
    * due to oppositional behavior or failure to understand instructions)
    * often has difficulty organizing tasks and activities
    * often avoids, dislikes, or is reluctant to engage in tasks that require sustained mental effort (such as schoolwork or
    * homework)
    * often loses things necessary for tasks or activities (e.g., toys, school assignments, pencils, books, or tools)
    * is often easily distracted by extraneous stimuli
    * is often forgetful in daily activities

Symptoms of Hyperactivity:

* often fidgets with hands or feet or squirms in seat
    * often leaves seat in classroom or in other situations in which remaining seated is expected
    * often runs about or climbs excessively in situations in which it is inappropriate (in adolescents or adults, may be
    * limited to subjective feelings of restlessness)
    * often has difficulty playing or engaging in leisure activities quietly
    * is often "on the go" or often acts as if "driven by a motor"
    * often talks excessively

Symptoms of Impulsivity:

* often blurts out answers before questions have been completed
    * often has difficulty awaiting turn
    * often interrupts or intrudes on others (e.g., butts into conversations or games)

Symptoms must have persisted for at least 6 months. Some of these symptoms need to have been present as a child, at 7 years old or younger. The symptoms also must exist in at least two separate settings (for example, at school and at home). The symptoms should be creating significant impairment in social, academic or occupational functi

6. darthmomm

Jul 16, 2001

How many mental disorders are there?

Well there are many disorders. Look in the DSM-TR. That book is used by all people in the mental health profession to diagnose patients.

{b]What is the evidence that ADHD exists (actual physical evidence)?[/b]

There have been many brain and familiar studies on ADHD. It has been around for many years. There are changes in brain function and brain chemistry. I am not going to get into the technology of it. It is boring. If you would really like to know all of the big swords and studies, then use google.

Is their another possible explanation for this behaviour?
    Yes, that is why people are misdiagnosed. Children can have a late onset of ADHD related symptoms later than the age of 7. 7 years is a criteria for the diagnoses of ADHD and its subtypes in the DSM-TR

What are the negative effects of the drugs used to treat this 'disorder'?

Well, there have been many side effects listed. BUT, these side effects are also listen on asprin.

Some people would say loss of weight, headaches, motor tic, or an increased tic activity as the medication typicaly used for ADHD are stimulant medicaton. Behavior changes..but, the severe side effects are incredibly rare.

Incidently, the meds are a schedule 2 narcotic. A Controlled substance in the same catagory as heroin based narcotics.
    Yes, Ritilin can be crushed and snorted. But, the time release meds can not. (Concerta)

YES....YES.....YES.

Has ADHD always existed as a disorder of the human race but not 'discovered' until recently?

Some theories about the disorder do suggest that it has been around since we were hunters and gatherers. The ADHD people were the hunters, always on the prowl with quick reflexes. A love for danger and risk taking behavior. I am a beleiver in this theory.

How profitable are the companies producing medication for treatment of ADHD?

All medication that treats a disorder that hits approximatly 5% of the population is going to make money.

Is ADHD a condition people are born with or is it a learned behaviour?

Ah, well, this is a grey area. The thing with psychology is that it is a soft science. There is NO absolute. Research will provide new theories and treatments, but this is where we are now.

There have been strong links to the heredity factor. Usualy if a child has it, one or more of the parents do also. Many times parents find out they have it after they have tried their kids meds. [face_plain] (I have to admit, I tried them too.....) BUT, treatment can be dificult in this case, because the parent has many of the same symptoms, sooooo, they tend to forget appointments to get the meds.

Now, just because a parent has it, does not mean the child will develope the full blown problem. THis is where nurture comes in. There is a theory that these kids come from well, disorganised families.

Or, they are having family problems and they are having a hard time concentrating.

What is the extent of the problem of ADHD?

THe disorder is not the problem. THe problem lies in the lack of education in parents, Doctors, and especially educators. It is said that atleast 5% of children have been diagnosed with some form of the disorder, and some say there are many unreproted cases. But that it another issue.

Are their alternative measures to treating ADHD?

Well, there are many. BUT, effectiveness is in serious question.

YOu see, no one wants to put thier children on a narcotic. so most parents try to look at alternate treatments. There is a media bias on ADHD treatment. Many times parents change the diet of the children thinking that caffiene and sugar are the reasons for the hyperactivity. That theory has been disproven so often, and so emphatically, but the media keeps reporting that diet is a cause.

Look here people....simple, CAFFEINE IS A STIMULANT. DUH. Give the kid a coke. You will watch that kid calm.

Herbal remedies have not been tested in a reliabl

7. anakin_girl

anakin_girl Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 8, 2000
    I've worked with several ADHD kids over the years as a teacher. I think it is overdiagnosed in some cases--for example, in one elementary school in a nearby county, 40 percent of all the students there were diagnosed as ADHD. IMHO, probably 10 percent of those children actually had the disorder, and the other 30 percent were just allowed to eat Sugar Corn Pops and drink Coke for breakfast and watch stimulating cartoons all afternoon.

However, the other side of the coin is the case of this boy I'm working with now. His mother didn't initially want him on medicine because it was giving him insomnia; however, she ended up having to relent. The poor kid would get out of his seat, end up at the pencil sharpener or the trash can, and then, when I asked him why he was out of his seat, he would have no recollection of making a decision to get up--he just did it. He also came up to me and asked me if I could sit him in the front of the room because he was easily distracted, a request I of course complied with.

I definitely think ADHD is a very real biological disorder that should be recognized and treated by a doctor; the child's teachers can also make accommodations for him such as allowing him to be seated in front of the room, following through to make sure he has his assignments written down, etc. However, one mistake that I have found parents making is using the child's ADHD as an excuse to allow him to do whatever he wants, saying "he can't help it." (I once got this excuse from a mother whose 15-year-old son was selling his Ritalin for profit instead of taking it! :eek: ) Once the child is on medication and modifications have been made, IMHO, parental and teacher expectations of behavior should be no different from those of a non-ADHD child.

8. darthmomm

Jul 16, 2001
    This is an area that really annoys me. I have found that teachers are the ones who start the diagnoses.

This is the primary reason why there is a possible overdiagnoses in some areas. Then, when a diagnoses is made, teachers will not change their teaching style to accomadate the student.
    When a student fails in school because of ADHD, it is the failure of the school system. Not the failure of the student or the parents. What is not mentioned about ADHD is that these children have qualities and talents that NON-adhd kids do not have. But because of thier hyperactivity, the teachers lump them into the catagory of trouble makers or LD. The key, is to find those talents and utilize them.

1. ADHD kids have poor self-esteem. Help with that self esteem by having the ADHD kid be a class room helper. Give this child a chance to prove himself to be a responsible kid. And, if you need an arrand run, send the one who can not sit still. Sometimes, these kids NEED to move in order to help with concentrate.

2)DO NOT......DO NOT sit these children in a "special seat" for all of the class to see. That is humiliating. It is cruel and damaging to a child. WHy teachers can not figure that out, I will never know. By doing this, you are putting the spotlight on the kids disorder, which in turn provokes teasing, which helps destroy self-esteem. However, sitting these children in the front of the class can be helpful.

3)Hands on learning. For everything.

4)look at the kid as a human being, get to know these children. You will find them loving, helpfull, and full of imagination.

5)be understanding. NO, treatment will not cure all of the disorder. There will still be issues, so yes, you still have to make provisions and be a little more understanding about the child. Like, they have a severe problem with organisation....often, homework IS completed....but left at home, or in the bread box, or in their pocket, or they simply can not find it in their books. Give a little.

Rigid teachers are ADHD caustic.

Keep in mind, that the changes a teacher needs to make in their teaching has been proven to be more effective in learning for ALL kids.

9. anakin_girl

Oct 8, 2000
    OK...I haven't decided whether I need to defend myself here or not. ?[face_plain]

1) There are no "special seats" in my room. I seat the child in front of the room at the request of either the child himself or his parents, in order to help him concentrate. Usually the other children don't know why the seating arrangement is being changed--I switch children's seats around fairly often, for various reasons, and switching the ADHD child's seat is no different from switching another child's seat.

2) You're right about sending the ADHD child on errands--I have found that they are very reliable because they are grateful to be asked to do something (one kid's reaction was an ecstatic, "No teacher ever asks me to do anything!").

3) No, it doesn't work for an ADHD child to be lectured to for an entire class period. Fortunately, at the grade level I teach, that style doesn't work well for any child, ADHD or not. I try to include hands-on learning as part of my teaching, just as I try to include activities to accommodate auditory and visual learners.

When I say that once the child has been treated for his disorder, parental and teacher expectations should be no different regarding behavior, what I mean is that the ADHD child should not be allowed to, for example, throw a pencil across the room, swing in doorframes, playfully punch other children, etc., when his classmates are not allowed to do the same thing. A teacher making an exception in how he/she handles the ADHD child's behavior will make the ADHD child stand out among his/her classmates, more so than anything else--the classmates will be left asking, "Why does he get special treatment?"

10. Master-Aries

Master-Aries Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 4, 2002
    Hello All

As someone who was diagnosed with ADD I would like to ask the following questions:

What does the child with ADHD prefer to do besides following instructions, either from the teacher or the parent?

If the Reticular Activating System is ?falling asleep? does that not mean that the child is not stimulated by the activates provided for him.

[image=http://www.edutechsbs.com/adhd/ras.gif]

Click on image to enlarge

Are the greater percentage of children males if so why, is it because of a lack in testosterone or other key hormones.

From my understanding there seems to be a lot of guess work, for my money I would have to say that it is truly a lack of correct stimulus that, either does not allow for the brain to function correctly or the fact that in some way external factors have seemed to have had an impact on a rather large, and increasing number of ADHD patients.

Why has there been such an increase in the number of children who suffer from this ?disorder?. I do not for a moment begin to understand why but from personal experience and now been advised that my nephew is suffering form ADHD, is it becoming more apparent that the perceived education for children may be one of the contributing factors for this Disorder.

I have witnessed that most Children diagnosed with this affliction have shown to be rather intelligent if not more so as a result of this ADHD or ADD.

What can be done if confidence in the Psychiatric community fails to address this increasing Phenomenon?

Sincerely

Master-Aries
    (MA)

11. darthmomm

Jul 16, 2001
    I am sorry AG, I did not mean to come off the way I did. I was not attacking you. I know you have a good head on your shoulders when it comes to teaching, I do not question that at all.

The funny thing is, most of these kids are gifted in some area.

Now, in putting in a nut shell about the brain of an ADHD child.....AND adult.

Normal people.....

READY.........SET..........FIRE

ADHD............

FIRE.....READY.....SET

Conversations can be VERY interesting with an ADHD child. Especially when they start telling stories that may..well......embarass his family. :D

Like my son, Ty was telling a story about how his mother gets up on stage and shakes her boobs...... [face_plain]

Now, what does that sound like to you??

No, I am NOT a stripper...... [face_plain]

He was refering to a musical I was in....and I was dancing.....I had to flirt, innocently.....it was at a church rather that a round platform with a pole. [face_plain]

:D

12. anakin_girl

Oct 8, 2000
    Like my son, Ty was telling a story about how his mother gets up on stage and shakes her boobs......

LOL! And don't worry--those of us who have been teaching for any period of time are no longer surprised, horrified, or anything else at stories like that which come out of children's mouths. It's all part of the job for us, and it probably went out of the teacher's head two seconds after she heard it.

It is very true that ADHD children are often more intelligent/gifted than others, which is why it is important to use differentiated learning (something most state curricula are focusing on now), and make sure these children are challenged.

13. Master-Aries

Sep 4, 2002
    Knowing what you know regarding personal experience I put forward this question, if you could would you take your child out of public education and school them yourselves?

Do you believe that there would be a difference if you did, it seems to me that ADHD kids need a lot of personal attention that can rarely be offered in public education systems, geared for mainstream education.

How effective would home schooling be?

I know that that is not always possible with today?s hectic schedule, but from what I have seen most of these children are introverted and shy especially among others of their own age group, they seem to sense that they are (I hesitate to use the term different) from the others at school and therefore singled out.

This then places added pressures on them this then compounds the issue and they turn more inward and escape to their own perceived world.

As pointed out, most Asperger syndrome kids are diagnosed as ADHD, I don?t want to single out these kids to make them out to being freaks, as most kids immediately seek out kids that seem different and pick on them.

Some theories about the disorder do suggest that it has been around since we were hunters and gatherers. The ADHD people were the hunters, always on the prowl with quick reflexes. A love for danger and risk taking behaviour. I am a believer in this theory.

This is very true as ADD and ADHD kids are very observant any change in the immediate environment and other environments are noticed. This gives credence to my point in that there are too many distractions in a school environment that makes it impossible to learn.
    My point being that since school changes constantly, that it is very overwhelming for these kids and that the learning environment is an impossible one.

So what is the answer, Home schooling or mainstream education.

Sincerely

Master-Aries
    (MA)

14. anakin_girl

Oct 8, 2000
    Master-Aries: I'm not sure if you were addressing me or darthmomm, but I'll answer, and I'm sure she'll be happy to give her opinion also.

While I agree that public education has its problems, a gross lack of differentiated learning being one of those problems, I wouldn't choose home schooling. I think it's a bad idea overall. Kids need to learn how to cope in different social situations and need to learn to deal with all types of people (one reason I'm also against elitist, expensive private schools). Not that children who are home-schooled stay inside all day and never talk to anyone their own age; however, the opportunities for socialization are certainly greater when you're forced to spend all day with a large number of students your own age.

So what is the answer? I am fortunate that in the school system where I work, parents can choose a school among five different schools, one neighborhood school and four different types of magnets, based on where they live. This is if they want the school system to provide transportation--if they are willing to transport their children themselves, the children can go to any school in the system. If I were the parent of an ADHD child, I would investigate my local school's class sizes, curricula, and how well its teachers are educated in ADHD. Then, if necessary, I would hire a tutor to work with my child after school on subjects he/she has difficulty with.

15. darthmomm

Jul 16, 2001

Knowing what you know regarding personal experience I put forward this question, if you could would you take your child out of public education and school them yourselves?

No. I personally am not a fan of home schooling. For reason that I will not go into. 70% of kids diagnosed wil ADHD will go onto having it all of thier lives. Life is full of distractions, and they need to learn how to deal with them. With Parent Management training and educational awareness, these kids can and will become successful. Teachers need to truly understand the disorder, as do parents. Unfortunatly, because their is a parental link to ADHD, often one or more of the parents suffer from the same disorder, it can be the blind leading the blind.

it seems to me that ADHD kids need a lot of personal attention that can rarely be offered in public education systems, geared for mainstream education.

Well,the public eduaction system needs to change. Not all ADHD kids need a lot of extra attention, most often they the type of teaching needs to be changed. These changes will benefit ALL students.

How effective would home schooling be?

Home schooling would be terrible for these kids, as often ADHD kids have problems socially, and without social interaction with thier pears, they will never learn.

but from what I have seen most of these children are introverted and shy especially among others of their own age group, they seem to sense that they are (I hesitate to use the term different) from the others at school and therefore singled out.

I honestly have never met and ADHD introvert. These kids are animated, talk a lot, and usually are outgoing. The gift of the gab.....But yes, they are singled out because they are different, impulsivity can be a problem in elementary school.....

This then places added pressures on them this then compounds the issue and they turn more inward and escape to their own perceived world.

I do not know what you meant in regards to percieved world. If you are suggesting that they make up their own worlds, I can not agree with you at all.

As pointed out, most Asperger syndrome kids are diagnosed as ADHD, I don?t want to single out these kids to make them out to being freaks, as most kids immediately seek out kids that seem different and pick on them.

Aspergers Syndrome, which is in the same type of disorders as Autism and Childhood onset schizophrenia, is not the only disorder with a high commorbidity with ADHD. Tourrets, Conduct disorder, ODD, Autism, depression....and many others. And yes, they will be singled out, but a no tolerance policy within the school when it comes to teasing and bullying is the only way to go.

Some theories about the disorder do suggest that it has been around since we were hunters and gatherers. The ADHD people were the hunters, always on the prowl with quick reflexes. A love for danger and risk taking behaviour. I am a believer in this theory.

This gives credence to my point in that there are too many distractions in a school environment that makes it impossible to learn.

I am ADHD, straight A's in high school and college. Not medicated. My son, ADHD, no medication, A's and B's. So no, it is not impossible to learn, IF, parents and teachers educate themselves about the disorder. Since it has been said that atleast 15% of kids have ADHD, then ADHD education should be a requirement.

My point being that since school changes constantly, that it is very overwhelming for these kids and that the learning environment is an impossible one.

Nope, they need to learn how to cope in the adult world. To shelter them from everything will only hinder their growth and developement.

So what is the answer, Home schooling or mainstream education.

Mainstream.

16. tenorjedi

tenorjedi Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 17, 2000
    I just want to add one thing. I cannot stand grown adults who won't take the medicine and yet want to be absolved of responsiblity because of ADHD. A female friend of mine in college was mentally abused by her boyfriend with ADHD. He put her down, cheated on her, and all the while her excuse was that he's a good person but he hates the side effects of the medicine (so he chose pot which is an entirely different debate) so "it's the ADHD and not him". She even made a passive attempt at suicide. I finally had to end my friendship with her because she complained and yet made excuses for him every day. I couldn't watch herself die inside because nobody would place responsiblity on him because of his disorder.

17. Master-Aries

Sep 4, 2002
    Thank you both for your clear and accurate response, I merely point out my misconceptions based on my nephew?s experiences, he is 8 now and for two years it has not being going well for him at school so my viewpoint is based on his experiences and I have made the mistake in assuming that all ADHD children responded in the same way.

For that I apologise this is rather new to me and with this forum I am sure that I will have a clearer understanding of what to expect and how to handel my fears in the future, I believe this will also help him to deal with ADHD and life. Too often we relay our fears to our children without knowing it, putting unnecessary pressure on them when it is up to us to assisting them and not make matters worse.

Sincerely

Master-Aries
    (MA)

18. Coolguy4522

Coolguy4522 Jedi Youngling star 4

Dec 21, 2000
    I have a negative view on this matter. For example, my 4th grade teacher "diagnosed" every boy in her classroom, save her best friend's son, with ADD and had the power to force them all to get tested. I have a friend who really has this (and other disorders) and know it is a real thing, but it is overdiagnosed WAY too much. My mom had me tested, and when it came back negative the teacher said "You need to go to the doctor I choose." My mom ignored her and had me tested to be in the gifted program, and I got in even though the teacher didn't approve me, which would have helped in the application process.

Teachers are not doctors, and have no buisness telling parents what their children may or may not have, and should NOT have the power to force them to be tested, so they can have an easier time by drugging up the entire class.

19. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    I don't think that's indicative of most teachers of schools, and I don't think that would stand in most places. I'm surprised it was allowed to happen.

20. darthmomm

Jul 16, 2001
    I know that atleast in CT, there was a law passed about 2 yearsago, that no teacher can even suggest medication. Yes, some teachers are lazy......my son had 2 teachers that traumatized him in 3rd and 4th grade. But I honestly do not think that it is OVER diagnosed.in fact, I think that in girls, it is under diagnosed. Girls symptoms are different and less noticeble in boys.

21. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    I have known of some cases like that, Coolguy. Going through the public schools, I had a couple of teachers who liked to think they could see inside the heads of every one of their students and tell them just what psychological problems they had and what medications they should be on. I'm not jumping on all teachers, because I know the great majority don't do that, but it's unfortunate that teachers, especially for the younger grades, don't have to go through some sort of standardized program in which they would learn the facts about psychological disorders in children and how they can be recognized. The few teachers who hold funny stereotypes about what ADHD and other disorders are can cause kids a lot of grief. [face_plain]

22. anidanami124

anidanami124 Jedi Master star 6

Aug 24, 2002

YES YES YES YES YES YES YES and YES. I don't have ADHD. But I do have ADD. So in a small way I know what it's like for peolpe with ADHD. But in a samll way. Because ADD and ADHD are two different things.

23. HawkNC

HawkNC Former RSA: Oceania star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2001
    What is the main difference between ADHD and ADD? My girlfriend has ADD, and she takes medication for it, but she can be difficult to talk to when she doesn't. Mood swings and an inability to concentrate for an extended period of time (that one's fairly obvious from the name) are the main symptoms. What are the symptoms in ADHD?

24. Nyder

Nyder Jedi Master star 4

Jun 27, 2002
    'Symptoms' of ADHD

* often fails to give close attention to details or makes careless mistakes in schoolwork, work, or other activities
    * often has difficulty sustaining attention in tasks or play activities
    * often does not seem to listen when spoken to directly
    * often does not follow through on instructions and fails to finish schoolwork, chores, or duties in the workplace (not
    * due to oppositional behavior or failure to understand instructions)
    * often has difficulty organizing tasks and activities
    * often avoids, dislikes, or is reluctant to engage in tasks that require sustained mental effort (such as schoolwork or
    * homework)
    * often loses things necessary for tasks or activities (e.g., toys, school assignments, pencils, books, or tools)
    * is often easily distracted by extraneous stimuli
    * is often forgetful in daily activities

Symptoms of Hyperactivity:

* often fidgets with hands or feet or squirms in seat
    * often leaves seat in classroom or in other situations in which remaining seated is expected
    * often runs about or climbs excessively in situations in which it is inappropriate (in adolescents or adults, may be
    * limited to subjective feelings of restlessness)
    * often has difficulty playing or engaging in leisure activities quietly
    * is often "on the go" or often acts as if "driven by a motor"
    * often talks excessively

Symptoms of Impulsivity:

* often blurts out answers before questions have been completed
    * often has difficulty awaiting turn
    * often interrupts or intrudes on others (e.g., butts into conversations or games)

Did you know that I could actually apply these so called 'symptoms' to almost anyone?

It sort of makes it sound as though people with 'ADHD' just have a lack of mental discipline.

But I think calling it a disorder is going too far.

(Although it is a good excuse for certain types of behaviour, for lack of a better one).

25. Nyder

Nyder Jedi Master star 4

Jun 27, 2002
    Secondly, you people horrify me. [face_plain]

You class yourselves and your children as having a disorder just because they exhibit certain types of behaviour that not only seems completely normal, but could be due to a host of other factors.

Scarier still, is that you put yourselves on potentially harmful drugs (or your children) in light of this modern and obscure 'disorder'.

And then you either label yourself, or others as 'ADHD sufferers', instead of just normal people which is what you are.

Sorry, but I'm just sickened to find that people could fall for such a nasty con as this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.