main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Admin Account Upkeep

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Scott, Feb 12, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord Bane

Lord Bane Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 26, 1999
    Let's just promote farraday. That'll solve all our problems.

Give us a new scapegoat...

2. exar-tull

exar-tull Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 22, 2001
    no bobafemme no sebulba-x you will be missed. :(

3. keokiswahine

keokiswahine Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 4, 2000
  4. snap-hiss

snap-hiss Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2001
    Anyone have a large band aid for Fanforce?

Does anyone care?

I sure hope so.

!snap

5. Nabooty_Call

Nabooty_Call Former RSA / Obi-Wan Impersonator star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 11, 2000
    scapegoats and witch hunts...

Can anyone else think of one instance from history in which the instigators of said behavior were not found to have a seriously sad flaw/blindspot in their reasoning/handling of real (and imagined) crises ?[face_plain]

Proceed with caution; don't want to throw the baby out with the bath water, now do we ?[face_plain]

6. Lord Bane

May 26, 1999
    We could blame all our problems on the growing doomsday gap, but the NY Times hasn't given us any new numbers on that today.

It is a shame to see mods go, especially such hard working ones. It's been a bad few days for that.

7. PreacherBoy

PreacherBoy Jedi Youngling star 5

Aug 3, 1998
    You guys will survive.

8. Nabooty_Call

Sep 11, 2000

Remind us again how passively allowing good mods to leave really helps the JC or the FanForce boards ?[face_plain]

9. jasman

jasman Administrator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 29, 1998
    Sometimes people get caught in the cross-fire. Sometimes people make unfortunate choices. Sometimes people just get weary of the drama. This kind of thing happens. It is unfortunate, but as PreacherBoy said, we will survive.

10. Spiderdevil

Spiderdevil Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 20, 2000
    passively allowing good mods to leave

You'd prefer they threatened them and forced them to stay?

11. MysterySith

MysterySith MEPA Founder/Advisor FF NYC, NY star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 17, 2000
    Sebulba-X and Bobafemme were much more than mods, they were Regional Support Admins for Fanforce. They have helped bring together fans in their own communities on a personal level. They did not just moderate the forums. Moderating was just part of the job.

3 RSAs gone in a weeks time. All this because of some hacker or whatever it may be.

"Good Job"

12. Nabooty_Call

Sep 11, 2000
    No, Spider, of course you can't force people to stay...

But when people who have been longstanding members and/or been positive role models/moderators suddenly decide to up and leave, or are influenced to leave, especially in noticeable numbers, if you have any concern for professionalism or continued success, an attitude of "oh, well, that's just what happens" doesn't cut it.

What's the reasoning behind their decision to depart? If it has something to do with the board environment, or even personality conflicts, what can be done to fix these problems so they don't recur in the future, or make laughingstocks of the JC ?[face_plain]

Even in a volunteer group, imo, you want to retain qualified professionals...

13. keokiswahine

keokiswahine Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 4, 2000
    Someone, or somebodies, want to take the board down by embarrassment, hacking, or whatever, create animosity, disgust, etc., and it's not to our advantage when the good folks leave. I just hope these great RSA's return. We must retain the quality board that we really have, minus all the drama going on.

14. legacyAccount

legacyAccount Jedi Youngling

May 22, 2012
    if you have any concern for professionalism or continued success, an attitude of "oh, well, that's just what happens" doesn't cut it.

i very highly doubt that behind the scenes the attitude was "oh, well, that's just what happens." look at the recent posts of most of the mods, and you'll probably notice a lot of posts to private boards. i'd bet that they're not exchanging recipies there.

just because we don't see things happen, doesn't mean they don't happen.

15. Nabooty_Call

Sep 11, 2000
    Believe me, MaidenLumpe', with all the irons I've got in the fire, I'm only too aware of what goes in behind the scenes in various organizations. My response was directed more at the "This kind of thing happens" attitude as put forth by jasman.

If things happen, and happen in a recurring way, then you can learn how and why they happen. Upon learning the hows and whys, you can focus on working out ways to prevent things you don't want to happen, which in this case would be departures of quality admin-types.

Sorry if I'm "preaching to the choir" ;)

16. PreacherBoy

Aug 3, 1998
    Don't forget that I'm going to be unavailable for the amount of coverage I was providing. A few of you are going to have to step up, big time.

17. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    Seb, Bobafemme, I am sorry to hear that. :(

18. NathanDahlin

NathanDahlin Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2000
    Typically, mods will resign for personal RL reasons that they'd rather not share. Also, contrary to popular belief, moderating the boards is a stressful, time-consuming, and thankless job. It gets quite depressing at times. Besides, there aren't really any definitive "pros" to make you want to moderate aside from the satisfaction of knowing you've made the boards a better place.

Lately, though, many of our moderators have grown tired of all the intrigue and politics that this thread-stealing has brought about. I can't say I blame them. :(

They were great mods and they'll be missed, but we respect their decisions and won't try to force them to stay. After all, we're not Nazis, which is another common misconception. ;)

Besides, the door is open, should they (or any other ex-mod) wish to come back.

19. PreacherBoy

Aug 3, 1998
    Even Paul? Yay!

20. NathanDahlin

NathanDahlin Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2000
  21. Sebulba-X

Sebulba-X •X C2 C3 MW RSA• star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2000
    Funny...I didn't choose to leave, I was shown the door because I wanted to stay.

22. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    Hmmm, it seems there are some differing accounts of what happened here.

23. Wormie2

Wormie2 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 22, 1999
    So does this get us any closer to a more "open and poster friendly JC Adminship?" ;)

hopes Vert doesn't rip me a new one

24. Lord Bane

May 26, 1999
    I think the general opinion is that you, Seb-X, made a choice that was not in-line with the mind of the Staff. An option was given, the choice yours, and the end result leaves you a VIP

Is that the gist or is there more of this saga that needs to be blown up, examined and made melodramatic?

It seemed cut and dry to me; a shame to see you go, but "dun bun can't be undone."

25. Kadue

Kadue Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 20, 2000
    As Nathan said, some of us leave for RL personal reasons, some from getting sick of dealing with the stress that is inherent in a position like this, and some for reasons to do with the way that things run around here.

Unfortunately at the moment there is nowhere for these things to be discussed amongst the team without the entire world knowing about them, so everybody gets left in the dark.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.