Admin "Test" SNs

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa, Feb 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: JoinTheSchwarz, LAJ_FETT, Ramza
  1. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa Jedi Youngling

star 6
    Well, i want to propose this to the people of TFN. We all know TFN's administration uses 'test' screen names here on the forums, you know, just to blend in sometimes. Sometimes it is a good thing, sometimes it isn't. For example, a bad time would be to put an opinion in a Comms discussion, a good would be to PM a member here for their off-guard input on how the administration works and how they could better it.

Anyway, do YOU think it is a good thing or a bad thing?

Personally, it really depends on a situation. I really don't think they should be used for message board posts, just to get candid opinions.

And please, no one lock this. It should be provided for the community to post their thoughts publicly.

Thank you.
  2. dp4m Chosen One

star 9
    I never use socks for any reason other than holiday/theme days (or possibly ballot stuffing election games. But honestly, who would do that? ;))
  3. beezel26 Force Ghost

star 7
    i vote DP hes the best mod ever!
  4. jp-30 Manager Emeritus

star 9
    > I really don't think they should be used for message board posts

Why not?

5. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa Jedi Youngling

star 6
    I believe that they shouldn't be used to board posts because, well, we all know it is happening already and i just don't think the Admin socks should be used that way. I mean, would you be comfortable if every person within a 20 mile radius was a member of the CIA? I doubt it.

I think we should have the right to know who is a normal user and an administrator.
  6. Jedi_Learner Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I suppose it allows the moderators to find out what people are really like. When members have nice colours, people usually suck up to them. ;)
  7. royalguard96 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    If a sock of an admin bans you, then you'll know! :)

8. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa Jedi Youngling

star 6
    I suppose it allows the moderators to find out what people are really like. When members have nice colours, people usually suck up to them.

I certainly don't. :p
  9. jp-30 Manager Emeritus

star 9
    > I believe that they shouldn't be used to board posts because, well, we all know it is happening already and i just don't think the Admin socks should be used that way. I mean, would you be comfortable if every person within a 20 mile radius was a member of the CIA? I doubt it.

Still not an actual reason, is it?

And playing along with this analogy game; what would you prefer, a CIA member every 20 miles, or spy cameras in satellites watching you from above (ie. lurking mods who do not post)?

It makes no difference at all whether a mod is posting in colours, using a sock, or lurking, does it? Just behave yourself and there's no problem.

And FYI, I'm just trying to get some justification out of you for your comments that don't really seem particularly thought out or reasoned. Personally the only socks I use are holiday-themed ones.

10. legacyAccount Jedi Youngling

I only have one sock, carmenite42, and quite a few people know that it's me - I don't make any effort to hide this fact.

For the most part, the main reason I use it is if I'm taking part in a discussion (non-board related, more political/religious)and I don't want my opinion to make an extra influence just because it has colors.

And what jp-30 said makes sense also. In the real world, you can say things that no one else will really ever see, but on the boards, nothing is hidden. If a mod is going to see it, a mod is going to see it, whether they're posting as a sock, or not posting at all.
  11. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa Jedi Youngling

star 6
    And FYI, I'm just trying to get some justification out of you for your comments that don't really seem particularly thought out or reasoned. Personally the only socks I use are holiday-themed ones.

buttsteak and DarthSapient plus several others. What more justification do you need?

Look, we all know it happens. I just wanted to take a survey on how the public of the JC felt about it.
  12. Jedi_Learner Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I wouldn't be suprised if that Michael Jackson lover MJ-IS-GOD or something like that in the Jedi Community Forum was a moderator having some good entertainment. ;)
  13. AmazingB Manager Emeritus

star 7
    What more justification do you need?

How about a solid reason why mods shouldn't be allowed to post with socks? What does it matter? Especially when people know who it is.

a good would be to PM a member here for their off-guard input on how the administration works and how they could better it.

As for that, why would a member have any interest in discussing the workings of the administration with an unidentified sock? How would the member even know if it's a mod? If the mods want opinions, it wouldn't make any sense for them to hide themselves.

Amazing.
  14. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa Jedi Youngling

star 6
    And what jp-30 said makes sense also. In the real world, you can say things that no one else will really ever see, but on the boards, nothing is hidden. If a mod is going to see it, a mod is going to see it, whether they're posting as a sock, or not posting at all.

What you see isn't the main thing, what influence it has over us is the issue here. The only ones who suck up to mods are sorry newbies looking for power, no one with a real opinion actually would do this, so what justifies this to happen? As i said before, i think we have the right for the status of each member to be apparent.
  15. legacyAccount Jedi Youngling

my comment about mods seeing it regardless was in response to would you be comfortable if every person within a 20 mile radius was a member of the CIA? I doubt it. mod-socks aren't like CIA opperatives, because if we're interested enough in a thread to post, we'd be reading it, even if we weren't posting. So it's not like we're spying, or trying to trick people.

The only ones who suck up to mods are sorry newbies looking for power, no one with a real opinion actually would do this, so what justifies this to happen?

what justifies it is so that our posts don't have undue influence where they don't need to. plus, in cases like buttsteak, it's so that mods can have a little fun with a sock.
  16. jp-30 Manager Emeritus

star 9
    > As i said before, i think we have the right for the status of each member to be apparent.

So you would outlaw all socks, unless (say) the sock had the owner's primary username in its sig?

And you can't actually give any sort of reason for this wish.

If I may be brutally honest here, I doubt this idea will see much discussion time in the modsquad.

17. Jobo Force Ghost

star 5
    I say we let mods do what they want until they screw something up. It's much more fun that way.
    _jOBO

I LUB U CARMENLUMPYBEANJAY
  18. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa Jedi Youngling

star 6
    Holy cow, this isn't a survey for the mods, it's a survey for the normal members here.

How about a solid reason why mods shouldn't be allowed to post with socks? What does it matter? Especially when people know who it is.

Like i've said before, we have the right to know a mod from a regular member.

As for that, why would a member have any interest in discussing the workings of the administration with an unidentified sock? How would the member even know if it's a mod? If the mods want opinions, it wouldn't make any sense for them to hide themselves.

A regular member wouldn't usually unless we were treated unfairly and such a survey was brought up, such as the one by DA in the EUC a few weeks ago.
  19. YodaJeff Manager Emeritus

star 7
    "Holy cow, this isn't a survey for the mods, it's a survey for the normal members here."

Damn those mods for posting in Comms!

"Like i've said before, we have the right to know a mod from a regular member"

Why, so you can treat what they say differently? There really is no reason to ban the use of socks by moderators.
  20. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa Jedi Youngling

star 6
    So you would outlaw all socks, unless (say) the sock had the owner's primary username in its sig?

I said STATUS, not IDENTITY.
  21. legacyAccount Jedi Youngling

Holy cow, this isn't a survey for the mods, it's a survey for the normal members here.

Regardless, I think the mods should have a chance input their opinions. We're not locking it, and we're letting people give their opinions, but we're giving ours as well. Your comment is especially interesting, seeing as how many people think that mods don't post enough in comms.

we have the right to know a mod from a regular member.

I'm curious as to why you think that people should know mods from regluar users, but you don't have to know which socks belong to which people. Would (for example, I'm not saying it would happen) a title that says "mod sock" but that doesn't say WHOSE sock it is be good enough? Or would you want to know which mod the sock belongs to also?
  22. dp4m Chosen One

star 9
    The main reason I know for Mod socks is to post threads and discuss things in a discussion forum that they'd rather not do as a Moderator, lest they alienate members of the community for feeling one way or the other about a lightning rod issues (e.g. Mara Jade or the Prequels).

Either that or keeping track of Forum regulars... ;)
  23. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa Jedi Youngling

star 6
    Regardless, I think the mods should have a chance input their opinions. We're not locking it, and we're letting people give their opinions, but we're giving ours as well. Your comment is especially interesting, seeing as how many people think that mods don't post enough in comms.

Is that a fact? Well, i don't see many members to argue with you. It's all mods as far as i can see. Do you have any idea why? Because this thread is filled with mods. Because no one wants to even have any input in a discussion they have no place in. Here's a suggestion, just please allow members an open portal to give some input. After we get some good opinions here, they should be up for arguement. Just clear some space, please.

I'm curious as to why you think that people should know mods from regluar users, but you don't have to know which socks belong to which people. Would (for example, I'm not saying it would happen) a title that says "mod sock" but that doesn't say WHOSE sock it is be good enough? Or would you want to know which mod the sock belongs to also?

Now that would just take away the whole idea, wouldn't it? I'm saying except on holidays and stuff, there shouldn't be any need for mod socks. They can do anything and more with the usernames they've already got.
  24. YodaJeff Manager Emeritus

star 7
    "I'm saying except on holidays and stuff, there shouldn't be any need for mod socks. They can do anything and more with the usernames they've already got."

Regular members can do the same things with socks as the names they've already got too.
  25. Jobo Force Ghost

star 5
    I'm not entirely sure why this is even an issue, SoME. Have you seen instances where mods break the rules and say, "Um, my sock did it. *shifty eyes*"?
    What I'm trying to say nicely is, this doesn't at all matter.

If a mod hasn't posted in a thread, are you going to start breaking the TOS? Maybe, but it's not very smart to.

Anyway, I am just saying what people have already.

Summary: who cares?
    _jOBO
Moderators: JoinTheSchwarz, LAJ_FETT, Ramza
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.