Admin "Test" SNs

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa, Feb 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: JoinTheSchwarz, LAJ_FETT, Ramza
  1. Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus

star 7
    I think it's much more important for mods to have funny socks and do things the members enjoy and spread love and happiness and all that around the JC than it is for members to know on sight whether a given name belongs to a mod. Ideally, the job of a moderator is to facilitate discussion and make the JC more fun. That's why I don't think your analogy with undercover CIA operatives holds up.
  2. DarthBreezy Chosen One

star 6
    droideka27 summed up my feelings exactly...
  3. saberlord99 Force Ghost

star 3
    I like it when people don't liek others opinions and arguments so they harrass them, it makes me love the boards that much more. I think MODs have as much a right to socks as regulars do, if it is a Mod or Mod sock. either way the users posting style should be consistent even if there is no MOD around. On the other hand I don't think Mods should sue there socks to express an opinion they wouldn't want to express with their regular name. :)
  4. tosh Jedi Youngling

Deltron's post is the direction this thread should have taken.
  5. FateNaberrie Force Ghost

star 6
    buttsteak and I got e-married, and I knew he was Sape at the time. It was e-awesome.
  6. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa Jedi Youngling

star 6
  7. Syntax Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I'm personally all for the Administration having secondary usernames. When I Moderated forums, I had secondary handles I used for generic posting and things like that. I did that for the simple reason that even though the Mods/Admins are supposed to be "regular people", they're often not treated as such by the other users on the forum - I've had experience where people felt that if they disagreed with the Mod on a topic (no matter how inane) they'd be put in "bad favor" with that Moderator. Thus, when I Moderate messageboards, I use the Mod username STRICTLY for Moderation, and then have a secondary name I use for discussions and stuff.
  8. BobTheGoon Moderator Emeritus

star 6
    I only read the first page, but which mods anonymously PM people asking for opinions on the administration? That's not an actual practice, is it? Are we in Soviet Russia or McCarthy America?
  9. MeBeJedi Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    "Like i've said before, we have the right to know a mod from a regular member."

No, we don't. I don't see anything like that in the TOS, much less the U.S. Constitution.

Should police officers always be required to wear their uniforms?

Was your joining TF.n contingent on this demand?

"After we get some good opinions here, they should be up for arguement. Just clear some space, please."

Mods are posters too! :)

(Notice I didn't say they were people, though. :p )
  10. legacyAccount Jedi Youngling

I have never PMed someone anonymously to ask them their thoughts on the administration.

I haven't heard of any mods doing that, though I can't actually speak for all of them.
  11. _Captain_Obvious_ Jedi Padawan

Moderators are like normal people but with special powers. They have the same rights as you and I. They should be allowed to use socks so long as they continue to use the Terms of Service with each post and not cause problems. Common sense Provails!
  12. Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus

star 7
    I only read the first page, but which mods anonymously PM people asking for opinions on the administration? That's not an actual practice, is it? Are we in Soviet Russia or McCarthy America?

I've never heard of a mod doing that, but if someone ever tried it, I suspect it would be so they could get an honest assessment of what we're doing right and wrong without having to worry the person doing the answering will either butter them up or be intentionally belligerent because it's a mod who's asking. The mod wouldn't be looking to BANE!!!1~ you merely for saying something anti-administration. If that happened, they'd get called on it by another mod.

I'm aware of a few situations where someone was banned in connection with making anti-administration remarks, but it's always been because of the way the things were said, not their actual content. Although some regulars of the Comms forum sometimes act as if the TOS only applies to regular members and it's perfectly okay to flame mods, I feel that criticisms of the administration can be construed as trolling if they're not made in accordance with the same rules we apply to every other post.
  13. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa Jedi Youngling

star 6
    I have never PMed someone anonymously to ask them their thoughts on the administration.

Jesus, it was an EXAMPLE, not a real practice.
  14. YodaJeff Manager Emeritus

star 7
    So, mods should stop using socks because of an example you made up, and not because of anything that actually happened?
  15. Liz Skywalker Ex-Mod

star 6
    we have the right to know a mod from a regular member.

Darling, did it ever occur to you that moderators are regular member? Honestly, just because someone's promoted, they're supposed to stop posting in irreverant threads? Some times a mod just wants to sit back and not be recognized. Or they just aren't in the mood for digging up the scrap of paper that has their password of the month on it.

As for PMing people, um, you'd get better responses sending from the colored name. I sent out two "tell me anything" sets of PMs when I was a mod. Group was about eleven users each time, picked at random from the "users online" list. I excluded people I knew or recognized. The results? A few complaint about the RP forum, which I passed on since I couldn't understand a bleeding word of it, a suggestion for a game, and a couple "you guys are doing great!"

This, children, is what is called feedback.

The same thing goes for mods as goes for noncolored users: what you post with a sock is the same as if you had posted it with your usual name. Ergo, don't use a sock if you're trying to hide yourself. IP checks are wonderful, even if you're like me and can change your IP on a whim.

And, yes, I'm late in replying. But I've beat my addiction to this place, so therefore I'm weirder than any of you. :p
  16. MeBeJedi Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Nice to see you got your colors back, Liz. :)
  17. Liz Skywalker Ex-Mod

star 6
    I wasn't aware I'd lost them.
  18. Genghis12 Manager Emeritus

star 6
    The plan was for me to use some of my socks to anonymously solicit opinions on whether your colors ought to be removed after you beat your addiction.

Unfortunately, in doing so, it just so happened that the random users I chose to solicit opinions in secret from were also all more of my socks that I forgot about.

Needless to say, the whole thing became a mess when I got conflicting feedback from them.

I say we take a poll about it all. That ought to be fair.
  19. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa Jedi Youngling

star 6
    The plan was for me to use some of my socks to anonymously solicit opinions on whether your colors ought to be removed after you beat your addiction.

Unfortunately, in doing so, it just so happened that the random users I chose to solicit opinions in secret from were also all more of my socks that I forgot about.

Needless to say, the whole thing became a mess when I got conflicting feedback from them.

Oh! What a wonderful day it has been! Of course, i CAN'T get through one Comms thread with your useless sarcasm Genghis!

Before you get me banned again, i'll stop here for now.
  20. Genghis12 Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Well, if you like, I can edit it out and repost it again in about two hours and fifty minutes so tomorrow can be a wonderful day for you instead. :)
  21. Jedi_Hood Force Ghost

star 6
    Before you get me banned again....

Looks like you're doing a pretty good job of it on your own.
  22. Liz Skywalker Ex-Mod

star 6

I say we take a poll about it all. That ought to be fair.

[face_laugh]
Moderators: JoinTheSchwarz, LAJ_FETT, Ramza
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.