main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Administration Announcements - Updated 4/9/04

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by DarthAttorney, Oct 9, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthAttorney

DarthAttorney Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 8, 2000
    Hi EUCers.

This thread is going to serve as the all-purpose announcement and discussion thread for all things concerning this forum. I've tried this in other forums that I handle and found that it works really well, so I'd like to get it going here too.

The purpose is to provide a single thread for all patrons to discuss forum policies and potential changes/improvements. Right now, I'd like to hear some feedback on the updated header bar and the new "PM A Forum Mod" feature. So let's hear it.

Please find following the Official Spoiler Policy for this forum as per the previous thread posted by The Gatherer

2. DarthAttorney

Nov 8, 2000
    What is a spoiler?

A spoiler is any fact or bit of information that gives away plot and character information.

Here on the boards, a lot of the time this refers to information about Episode III. Here in the Literature forum, it also applies to books. Anything that gives away plot points and character information about an upcoming book. Information from web sites, catalogues, press-releases can all be considered spoilers if they reveal plot points and character information.

[b]Proper use of spoilers.[/b]

So you've found a juicy piece of info on how the war is going, or who dies in the next book, or what we learn about the old Jedi order from a new prequel era book. You want to shout it from the roof-tops because you're all excited. Good, that's what the forum is here for. But you have to remember that there are people here who love the surprise of finding this out as they read it.

Here are the rules. Any title to a thread must not contain any spoiler information whatsoever, and if the thread does contain spoilers, the tag (_____ Spoilers) MUST be in the title. You can use known facts about what will happen in a book like major characters, known planets that will be involved, hanging plot threads from previous books as long as they do not reveal major unknown plot points. You don't introduce spoilers to a thread that does not contain a spoiler warning.

Anyway, you have this juicy spoiler, so you've clicked on the "Post New Topic" link. You've typed out the info, given the link to where you got it from (yes, this is considered good etiquette), and now you're thinking of a title to get everyone reading. Naturally something like "Chewie dies!!! NOOOO!!!!" would generally get everyone reading. Well, think of something else. No spoilers should appear in the title of a thread, even something like "Guess who dies in Vector Prime" is not acceptable. Make the title something non-commital, and add a tag telling that there are spoilers in the thread after it, eg. "New info about the NJO (Vector Prime spoilers)".

But please be careful, don't put in character names unless they are one of the major characters. As with the above example, "Chewie info from Vector Prime (Spoilers)" would be fine, but "Vergere's major role in SBS (spoilers)" isn't, as you've given away that she returns and has a big impact on the storyline.

[hr]

[b]How long is a spoiler a spoiler?[/b]

[color=red]Currently, anything about a book is considered a spoiler for a month after the release in America.[/color] Up until this time, discussion still have to have a spoiler warning in the title of a thread.

[hr]

[b]Failure to follow these rules.[/b]

Let me make it clear that we are serious about this. Failure to take your fellow Literature forum patrons into consideration will result in some course of action being taken. In some cases, this will be as simple as an edit and a warning. But if you reveal one of the major details without any warning, expect to be banned for a decent amount of time.

If anyone sees something that breaches these rules, please tell one of us. If none of the Literature moderators are online, contact any of the other moderators that are online at that point in time, and tell them specifically what needs to be removed or changed. If it is something serious, contact them first, then send one of us a quick message telling us the situation so we can follow it up.

[hr]

If you have any suggestions or comments on this policy, feel free to come to us with them, and we will consider them.

Please contact the staff of TF.N books before you post a spoiler. This will allow us to hopefully catch bogus spoilers, and keep major spoilers out of the boards until the proper time.

3. JediStryker

JediStryker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 5, 2000
    Excellent, DA. You're overwhelming intelligence and...

Ah, nevermind. My kissing up days are over. ;)

4. Yomin_Carr

Yomin_Carr Jedi Master star 4

Jan 12, 2002
    Yay! Now the EUC is almost as good as the RPF! :)

5. Jedi_Satimber

Jedi_Satimber Jedi Knight star 8

Jul 3, 2002
    I'd like to hear some feedback on the updated header bar and the new "PM A Forum Mod" feature. So let's hear it.

This is a good idea. Because IMO, there are lots of newer people on the forums that do not know who the mods are.

I feel that all of the forums should have the links.

6. JediStryker

Mar 5, 2000
    I feel that all of the forums should have the links.

Agreed.

7. C-3PX

C-3PX Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 2, 2002
    Great idea DA. :) You make the EU proud. ;)

8. Daughter_of_Yubyub

Daughter_of_Yubyub Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 8, 2002
    I wish all the forums had the Mod Bar.

9. flying_fishi

flying_fishi Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 26, 2002
    It's lovely! [face_love]

10. Sturm Antilles

Sturm Antilles Former Manager star 6

Jun 22, 2000
    Is that 'cause I'm on it, fishi? :p

11. GRANDADMIRALAXLROSE

GRANDADMIRALAXLROSE Jedi Knight star 7

May 8, 2002
    I like the new bar, it is so easy to pm my favorite moderator when I need his help. Which is about twice a day.

Axl.

12. DarthAttorney

Nov 8, 2000
    Oh God no! :p

We're working towards having all forums covered with the new mod header bar.
    Some mods feel it distracts tjhe populations too much, some don't want the hassle.

I'm a huge fan of the idea myself and have it in all of my forums.

:)

13. Sturm Antilles

Sturm Antilles Former Manager star 6

Jun 22, 2000
    I think it'd be perfect if my name was spelled correctly. :) :p [face_laugh]

14. Yomin_Carr

Yomin_Carr Jedi Master star 4

Jan 12, 2002
    The EUC is now about a quarter as good as the RPF... If PoT posted here, then it'd be a little better... ;)

15. darthmalt16

darthmalt16 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 25, 2000
    "Yay! Now the EUC is almost as good as the RPF"

DEATH TO YOMIN CARR!!!!

J/K

but yea I like the new mod. bar now with more flavors than ever before

16. Kadue

Kadue Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 20, 2000
    Sorry Sturm, slip of the finger.

Should be correct. :)

17. JediStryker

Mar 5, 2000
    We're working towards having all forums covered with the new mod header bar.
    Some mods feel it distracts tjhe populations too much, some don't want the hassle.

I'm a huge fan of the idea myself and have it in all of my forums.

Which is exactly why I chose you to be a mod, DA. Excellent work, keep it up.

18. flying_fishi

flying_fishi Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 26, 2002
    Sturm: [face_blush]

You've seen right through me ;)

19. Aunecah_Skywalker

Aunecah_Skywalker Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 25, 2002
    I like the header bar very much. It's very convenient to have the Forum moderators and managers up there so that you don't have to go searching for them. :) Also whoever was gracious enough to include the Haters club in the header: THANK YOU! :)

Aunecah

20. Stackpole_The_Hobbit

Stackpole_The_Hobbit Jedi Master star 6

Jul 31, 2002
    Yeah, thanks for the same from the non-Mara Hating side as well...

8-}

21. Lank_Pavail

Lank_Pavail Jedi Knight star 7

Sep 26, 2002
    Yes, the new features are very helpful, indeed. Thanks for putting them up. (gives mods a thumbs up) :)

22. Kyp_side_of_TheForce

Kyp_side_of_TheForce Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 27, 2002
    are you allowed to have author fan clubs?

23. DarthAttorney

Nov 8, 2000
    I don't think they should be encouraged....there's a whole forum dedicated to Authors and Artists.

:)

24. GRANDADMIRALAXLROSE

GRANDADMIRALAXLROSE Jedi Knight star 7

May 8, 2002
    DarthAttorney Could you please post an official mandate on social clubs for further reference.

Thank You

Axl Rose
    Founder and Co-Owner of Skylarks Jungle Cafe

25. DarthAttorney

Nov 8, 2000
    Sure :)

I think at the moment that we have enough social threads in this forum. WHen I say "soial" threads, I mean threads that aren't dedicated to a particular character or aspect of the EU. Fan Clubs are allowed to be chatty as well as long as they revolve arouind some form of discussion about their main topic (eg: the Ky Durron Fan Club must discuss Kyp pretty regularly).

In terms of purely social threads, we currently have 5 which I'd like to cap and not bring any more into existence. THey're pretty popular and I see the vast majority of users using one (or more than one) of at some point or other:

Cafe Dragon

The Lightside Temple

Skylarks Jungle Cafe

The Imperial Lounge

Sturms Outlander Club

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.