main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Admiral Ackbar in Episode VIII

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Chewies_bandolier, Dec 15, 2017.

1. Chewies_bandolier

Chewies_bandolier Force Ghost star 4

May 5, 2002
    I can't find an older thread but I thought that this hero of the Rebellion deserved a better farewell than as an aside in the last act.

[​IMG]

2. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    I think he got a better ending, dying on the bridge of a starship on-screen rather then old age off-screen.

Vale, Admiral Ackbar. You will be missed :,(

whostheBossk likes this.
  3. JMaster Luke

JMaster Luke Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 7, 2000
    i didn't even noticed he died until that one girl said she's not like leia or ackbar...i'm like 'what? he died too?'

4. Kualan

Kualan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 4, 2008
    I was worried they had killed my boy Nien Nunb too when I didn't him see at all in the evacuation/Crait sequence until that very last shot of the rebels on the Falcon.

A toast to the greatest admiral of the Rebellion. Died as he lived - caught in a trap.

5. sethg

sethg Manager Emeritus star 2 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 3, 2012
    It's a wrap!

DarthRamRod, Sarge and ForcePushUp like this.
  6. jimtalkbox

jimtalkbox Jedi Master star 1

Dec 22, 2015
    Wow, a fan favorite killed off with barely a casual mention of his death. How depressing.

7. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    eh, he was an alright character but legends, a meme, and powerful nostalgia glasses make us overlook that he almost called off the DS2 assault and doomed our main heroes. Though he didn't, so RIP I guess.

Sarge likes this.
  8. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    He should have been the one ramming the Supremecy

9. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    It was likely more a response to his actor's death. Sort of a "the character died with him" type thing, even though he still did have a speaking role (which I think was done by Tom Kane. Pretty decent impression, too)

I'm ok with it, but really, the biggest reason people will miss him (or even really remember him much) is the trap meme

SlashMan likes this.
  10. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    R.I.P

11. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    RIP. The voice actor passed away so it’s probably for the best the character was wrapped up.

whostheBossk likes this.
  12. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    One of the great parts of the Force Awakens was the decision to bring the character back with his original actor and voice actor in a role that made sense for the character. I guess killing a recognizable character does raise the stakes, but for a beloved character to come such a long way, it just felt like a bummer to me.

Darth Damo likes this.
  13. Count Zero

Count Zero Jedi Master star 4

Jul 20, 2014
    I barely noticed Akbar, to be honest.

14. Jamtia

Jamtia Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 5, 2016

Same it's like the OT characters are going down one by one and the ST characters remain unscathed.

15. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    I was sad, always have loved the character but I think it's a good way for him to go - as mentioned above it's better than an off screen death.

16. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    i didn't he even notice he died until i thought about it later. it's good though his voice actor died so i wanted them to retire his character and they did.

17. jimtalkbox

jimtalkbox Jedi Master star 1

Dec 22, 2015
    OMG! THIS!

18. GunganSlayer

GunganSlayer Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2013

Man, that would have been so cool. It would have been a more worthy death for his character, and then could have also opened up better uses for Laura Derns' character, too. She was barely introduced, had somewhat questionable leadership skills, and then we're supposed to feel sad for her character's suicidal death?

I'm fine with Ackbar dying, but not the way it was handled in the film.

19. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    That's the point. The younger generation are coming into their own while the older generation dies out/retires.

vncredleader likes this.
  20. DaddlerTheDalek

DaddlerTheDalek Jedi Master star 4

Aug 31, 2014
    He died on a starship named Raddus... ^:)^

Leah_Jem and Cantina Regular like this.
  21. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi SWC Jedi Draft Champion star 6 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 30, 2012
    I was really sad when they said he died. He’s always been one of my favourite characters. I wish he was the one to fly the ship at hyperspeed through Snoke’s fleet.

22. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi SWC Jedi Draft Champion star 6 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 30, 2012
    Double post.

23. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    Maybe they'll name a new ship after him along with Holdo.

DaddlerTheDalek likes this.
  24. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Yes, Yes and Yes. But we only got him saying two or three mindless sentences while a no one with purple hair shows up and does what he should have done.
    After Erik Bauersfeld unfortunately died 2016 it was reasonable to have him dying in VIII.
    What was the reason to bring in another power woman to the story to just do exactly what the Ackbar character could have done?
    I liked Laura Derns performance but for me this one is another example on why RJ was the absolute wrong director for this movie.

Admiral Ackbar: R.I.P. and may the force be with you

T-R- likes this.
  25. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    Tom Kane on Ackbar's death.

“I’ve been Ackbar for about six years… and I was not really thrilled about how they blew him out the side of the ship.”

“I’m like, ‘Who is this Holdo woman? Nobody knows her, no one’s invested in her — who is she? Why is she saving the fleet?’ If anyone was gonna save the fleet it’d be Ackbar [laughs].”
    https://heroichollywood.com/star-wars-admiral-ackbar-last-jedi/