main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Admiral Daala...misjudged?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Grand_Admiral_Gotti, Aug 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grand_Admiral_Gotti

Grand_Admiral_Gotti Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 11, 2005
    Ok so I am not the biggest fan of KJA. I have mixed feeling about TJA trilogy ( I just finsished it and am in the middle of I,jedi) but I just think that too many bad things are said about Admiral Daala as a poorly written character. I believe KJA did a great job of connecting you with her character and everything she had been through and how that showed in her poorly thought through, quick draw from hip type of actions desribed in these books. Shes been passed over for promotion, and ignored for being a woman, then noticed (and BONED) by Tarkin who promotes her secretly and gives her the respectable duty of guarding and overseeing the MAW installation of which he plans to use the super weapons one day to over throw the Emperor. She becomes attached to tarkin and is always trying to impress him and learns his masterful tactis of war. After all the years pass she learns that all she knows is lost and broken when she finds that the emperor is dead along with Tarkin, the death star has been destroyed TWICE and the empire is dwindling in the aftermath. WIth anger and rage about these events and also kyp/HAn escaping + stealing the suncrusher she goes out to reek havoc on the NR and fails miserbaly bc she was acting on instinct and emotion with only 4 damn star destroyers! Pretty damn stupid but she was also seeing the NR as she last rememebred it as the "Rebellion" and as a pitiful band of planets so I see why she acted so rashly and could relate with it, I think she was a great character to write in that I look forward to seeing her development in the later books and her team up with pallaeon, I Know it happens just dont know when exactly. Thrawn was a cold calculating mastermind of war who could see traps within traps and turn it around completley to his own advatage but it was intersting to see an author divert your attention from the "crumbling " empire and the warlords battling eachother and turn to a woman Admiral like this IMO . Anways has anyone else felt this way or does everyone just think she was a horrible villian?

2. PonyTricks

PonyTricks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2003
    Well, she tortured Han.... which makes her EVIL! But I feel she had a lot of potential as a 'bad guy', and it was too bad other books didn't take her character and expand on it (without making her an older, sympathetic version of Mara, that is...)

3. Ive_Got_Two_Legs

Ive_Got_Two_Legs Jedi Youngling star 4

Jul 18, 2005
    She's still around somewhere, isn't she?

No doubt having found a certain other officer on Bastion to shack up with...

4. KenKenobi

KenKenobi Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2002
    Actually, Admiral Daala is the key to proving KJA's genius. He truly wrote a masterpiece with her, and added a golden piece to continuity that is nearly unrivaled.

See this thread. ;) :D

5. Grand_Admiral_Gotti

Grand_Admiral_Gotti Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 11, 2005
    DAmn!! I never saw that thread...that is by far the best theory i ahve ever heard in the EU..fantastic! I mean ecspecially playing on the spelling on DAALA..Thats real good Ken!!

6. cloneCommando1138

cloneCommando1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2005
    I thought she was a great villian, and i liked it how they left her as missing, or location unknown, instead of just killing her off.

7. KenKenobi

Jul 11, 2002
    Gotti: Thank ya! :D

Feel free to throw in your comments and suggestions into the theory as you like... ;)

cC1138: I thought she was a great villian, and i liked it how they left her as missing, or location unknown, instead of just killing her off.

Could you imagine making a triumphant return in LotF?

I wonder what a meeting between her and Mara would be like... [face_mischief]

8. EwokStromboli

EwokStromboli Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 4, 2004
    I'll go ahead and vote "horrible villain." Too superficial and one-dimensional for my taste.

9. Katana_Geldar

Katana_Geldar Jedi Grand Master star 8

Mar 3, 2003
    I admit she was good in Darksaber, probably about the ONLY good thing in that book except for the fact she didn't die.

I thought, now she's going to die with honour and go down with her ship.

BUT DID SHE? No, she got into an escape pod and survived when she could have died a good death and be remebered as a 'good in the end character' like Borsk Fey'yla

10. Ive_Got_Two_Legs

Jul 18, 2005
    Upon Mara arriving at Bastion:

Daala: Mara?

Mara: Mommy?

Pellaeon: Kids?

11. KenKenobi

Jul 11, 2002
    Katana: Her survival opened up a whole new book of possibilities, though. KJA already weaved intricate lacework with Daala during the timeline we saw her in, and I'm sure he had something more planned with her. [face_mischief]

Ive_Got_Two_Legs: [face_laugh] Perfection! :p

12. Katana_Geldar

Mar 3, 2003
    Ken: Of course, but can't bad guys just DIE? If she had remained on her ship when it crashed into Yavin I would have been happy, I'd probably be one of her advocates. But she didn't, if she was next to me I'd choke her.

13. KenKenobi

Jul 11, 2002
    If she had remained on her ship when it crashed into Yavin I would have been happy, I'd probably be one of her advocates. But she didn't, if she was next to me I'd choke her.

I don't know. She was pretty attractive, and if she was next to me I might be lining up to add yet another redheaded child to the galaxy... [face_love] :p

14. Katana_Geldar

Mar 3, 2003
    Yeah, but she's about as subtle as a turbolaser, and probably as deadly.

15. Ive_Got_Two_Legs

Jul 18, 2005
    She looked pretty good in the New Essential Guide to Characters, but in the older pics of her, she looked downright...ugh.

See what I mean? (I hope these don't mess up the whole page...)

Bad, early Daalas:
    [image=http://www.cswu.cz/characters/novels/daala2.jpg]

[image=http://gwiezdne-wojny.pl/grafika/enc/daala.jpg]

[image=http://www.starwars.jp/character/image/admiral_daala.jpg]

Good, later Daalas:

[image=http://starwars.ntrnet.pl/beauty/daala4.jpg]

[image=http://www.ffurg.com/casting_call/daala/daala1.jpg]

It's almost like there was a conscious LFL decision to clean her up to meet the standards of GFFA attractiveness...

16. Katana_Geldar

Mar 3, 2003
    love that 80's hair

17. Kudzu

Kudzu Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 18, 2005
    Just what I was about to say...

18. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002

Shes been passed over for promotion, and ignored for being a woman, then noticed (and BONED) by Tarkin...

:confused:

19. Kudzu

Kudzu Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 18, 2005
    Just don't ask, Excellence. It's like a Geonosian sonic weapon: it will melt your eyedrums, pop out your eyes, and make your heart explode.

20. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    [image=http://news.bbc.co.uk/olmedia/550000/images/_552446_heather_graham300.jpg]

Looks familiar

21. KenKenobi

Jul 11, 2002
    It's almost like there was a conscious LFL decision to clean her up to meet the standards of GFFA attractiveness...

[face_laugh] Much to my delight, I might add... :p

22. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002

Never mind. After Googling the word I worked out what it meant.

23. KenKenobi

Jul 11, 2002
    "Boning" is an old archeological term in Star Wars. I hear Jaina's quite fond of it.

24. Ive_Got_Two_Legs

Jul 18, 2005
    It's just too bad that Tarkin didn't live to see her post-makeover. If she seemed attractive to him before...

Also, I notice her NEGTC appearance combines strange multiple-braided hippy hair with a fascist psycho. Obviously some sort of deep psychological connection on the part of the artists.

25. KenKenobi

Jul 11, 2002
    Also, I notice her NEGTC appearance combines strange multiple-braided hippy hair with a fascist psycho. Obviously some sort of deep psychological connection on the part of the artists.

That or they were high when sketching her and found it hilarious.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.