main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Admiral Piett's qualifications

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Pellaeon-Firke, Mar 29, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pellaeon-Firke

Pellaeon-Firke Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 2, 2004
    I just checked out cuswe's entry on our dear friend Firmus and it doesn't say much about how good a strategist he was. Why exactly didn't the Emperor give another Grand Admiral (Grant, let's say) the mission to hunt down Zaarin and allowed Thrawn to run Endor over Piett. I doubt that Thrawn wouldn't have won at endor, so why exactly was piett there? Any ideas besides Vader "liked" him?

2. cooker

cooker Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 8, 2004
    Well, I'll give the obvious answer right off the bat: Thrawn doesn't exist in the films. He wasn't created until almost ten years later.

For an in-universe fix? Well, Palpatine may have felt that Thrawn's mission in the Unknown Regions was more important. And besides, he had everything under control himself. If those pesky Ewoks hadn't helped the Rebels bring down the shields, the Imperial Fleet would've won at Endor with a Jawa commanding it.

3. Nrin

Nrin Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 28, 2003
    Piett was doing well at Endor , everything was under control up until weeks before Vaders arrival and the eventual destruction.

Nothing to say that Thrawn may not have had a role earlier on in the project, I assume Piett was drafted in fairly late on (post-ESB)

4. LordJoda-181

LordJoda-181 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 8, 2004
    the Executor blew up in fluke, I don't think Thrawn could have stopped that. And Endor was supposed to be a surefire win not a tough battle.
    Joey ;)

5. EH_Pilot

EH_Pilot Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 12, 2003
    I could've sworn I posted here.

Anyway, I doubt Palpatine would want the people of the Empire to know that an alien had won the battle for them and since the battle was suppoused to be a sure fire victory, he might as well send Thrawn against Zaarin, who was still at large causing lots of mayhem and destruction.

6. JoruusCbaoth

JoruusCbaoth Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 14, 2003
    If we're going by chain of command, Piett wasn't even in charge at Endor. There were three Grand Admirals there, plus Palpatine and Lord Vader. I'd believe that he was in charge of Death Squadron, but that's only six ships of about 27. That would give him some command abilities, but he'd ultimately answer to Declann, Makati, or Takel, or directly to Vader or Palpatine.

Ultimately, Palpatine's restrictions placed on the Imperial starfleet were what did it in, along with making the Navy dependent on battle meditation. The Rebels had enough shielded starfighters with torpedoes (about 1 Rebel fighter to every 2 Imperials, better odds than the Rebels were used to facing) to do some severe damage to the Imperial capital ships. Had the order to not engage the Rebel capital ships directly been removed, the Imperials might well have won the day, simply by not allowing the Rebels to rearm their torpedoes after the initial salvo. The Rebels were sufficiently outnumbered in the capital ship department that simple encirclement maneuvers at the right time would have been enough to do them in. Had Piett or one of the Grand Admirals done things "his way" compared to the Emperor's way, it would have been the worst defeat for the Rebels of their entire movement, and possibly their deathblow.

Thrawn would have managed to pull the battle out after it went south, when Imperial ships actually were firing on Rebel ones on film. My guess would be that he would have used some sort of maneuver than the Mon Calamari psyche wouldn't be able to keep up with, and turn it into at least a pyrrhic victory if not a decisive one.

7. Knight1192

Knight1192 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 5, 2000
    Weren't there more than three Grand Admirals?

8. JoruusCbaoth

Apr 14, 2003
    Not going by my sources, anyway. There were 9 left, counting Thrawn, and IIRC, all of them but Grant were KIA by the time Thrawn showed himself.

9. President_Sharky

President_Sharky Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 18, 2004
    Grand Admiral Osvald Teshik was also present at Endor, and he actually did take command of the fleet after the Death Star's destruction, and he kept the battle raging for another three hours, but he was defeated when his command ship was disabled and captured.

10. Knight1192

Knight1192 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 5, 2000
    Ok, I just checked the EC. It's a bit misleading as it says many Grand Admirals died on the DSII. However, it does give a list of names, which supports what you said about 3.

1. Zaarin

2. ?

3. ?

4. ?

5. Syn

6. Grunger

7. Pitta

8. Takel

9. Il-Raz

10. Batch

11. Grant

12. Thrawn

11. TIEPilot051999

TIEPilot051999 Jedi Master star 7

Mar 27, 2002
    There was a recent article in the Insider about the Grand Admirals, which stated their names and how they died.

1. Martio Batch. (Assassinated by his second in command.)
    2. Nial Declann. (Was onboard Death Star II and was killed when it was destroyed.)
    3. Josef Grunger. (Killed in battle by Grand Admiral Pitta.)
    4. Ishin Il-Raz. (Committed suicide by plunging his ship into the Denarii Nova.)
    5. Afsheen Makati. (Death Unknown.)
    6. Danetta Pitta. (Killed in battle by Grand Admiral Grunger.)
    7. Pecatti Syn. (Killed by Admiral Ackbar at the Battle Of Kashyyyk.)
    8. Miltin Takel. (Killed by Trioculus.)
    9. Osvald Teshik. (Captured at Battle Of Endor. Executed by New Republic.)
    10. Rufaan Tigellinus. (Killed by Grand Moff Hissa.)
    11. Demetrius Zaarin. (Turned Traitor. Killed by Grand Admiral Thrawn.)
    12. Grant. (Defected to the New Republic.)

12. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002
    Grant defected to the NR? You'd think the Grand Admirals would have more bone than that!

13. Pelranius

Pelranius Jedi Master star 5

Apr 25, 2003
    Brett Baas speculated that it was more like forced retirement, or Grant may have faced Teshik's fate: a phony war crimes trial.

14. killfire

killfire Jedi Master star 4

Jan 6, 2001
    Of course the Emperor knew that he had to be killed by Vader to fulfill the prophecy of the chosen one so he sent Thrawn to the UR so he couldn't mess up Endor by defeating the Alliance.

15. JoruusCbaoth

Apr 14, 2003
    Pelranius

"Brett Baas speculated that it was more like forced retirement, or Grant may have faced Teshik's fate: a phony war crimes trial."

I'd buy in on that, after a military defeat, Grant would be forced to accept the NR's terms of surrender. Grant retired, and was never called upon to aid the NR's ongoing wars against the Empire.

killfire

Interesting outlook, care to elaborate?

I'd say that it's a good hypothesis...except that Palpatine didn't die.

16. EH_Pilot

EH_Pilot Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 12, 2003
    I hardly think Palpatine would purpously and knowingly kill himself for the sake of some Jedi prophecy.

You're also thinking in terms that the Rebels have anything to do with the Chosen One, which it's not. Palpatine was doomed at Endor. The battle never really was over until the Emperor died anyway, so the battle wasn't interfering with the whole Chosen One stuff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.